#2 off beat car coming.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Blackbelt, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

As some of you saw, i picked up a JDM Nisan Pao a few months ago. It is still in my gagrage waiting for spring to arrive, but in the meantime i have been busy looking for the other JDM vehicle that i have been wanting, a Kei vehicle.
    I was wavering between a Suzuki Jimny and the vehicle i ended up buying. It was a tough choice, but i guess utility won out.
    It's a 1990 Subaru Sambar Try RJ Kei van. It has a 660cc 4 cylinder engine with a 5 speed transmission, and 4WD. Currently showing 57K miles. I have paid for it, and now am just waiting for it to be trucked from NJ to my home in PA. IMG_1495 (1).JPG IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1522.JPG

BillLin, Jay and puddleglum like this.
  2. I love it

BillLin likes this.
  3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The pictures don't convey size, so I googled the specs and I see:
    Wheelbase - 74.2"
    Length - 129.7"
    Width - 54.9"
    Height - 74.4"
    Weight - 1804 pounds

For comparison:
    Fiat 500 Pop (US spec) for comparison (as reported at Edmunds):
    Wheelbase - 90.6" (16.4" LONGER)
    Length - 139.6" (10" LONGER)
    Width - 64.1" (9.2" WIDER)
    Height - 59.8" (14.6" SHORTER)
    Weight - 2434 pounds (630 lbs HEAVIER)

Imagine a small van that can park inside the shadow of a Fiat 500.
    That is going to turn some heads!

Crosswinds are lots of fun in a tall rear-engine vehicle. I remember my father battling the Beetle on windy days, with its tail-heavy design and narrow width-to-height.
    Gotta go for a drive with a camera and park this thing next to some FSPs when you're out and about - the pictures will be awesome.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This is great ! Of course, it's too tall. But it is a commercial vehicle , I guess.

BillLin likes this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Love it! :D

I considered getting one of those trucks in the background for a farm vehicle 2 years back. It had a dump bed, stick shift, 4wd and like this a 660 cc engine. I got a Polaris Ranger atv instead and have been glad for the knobby tires if nothing else.

Is it road legal? Wait, 1990 means it's past the magic 25 year mark so YES!

BillLin likes this.
  6. Blackbelt

This is not a vehicle to drive on the expressway on a windy day! Although it will go 60+, the high profile does hurt things at higher speeds.
    Yep, it will be road legal, just as my 1989 Nissan Pao is. Those minitrucks are cool and can be gotten for under $5K. Some are under $4K. You can get them with locking diffs and 4WD. Yokohama makes a super digger M+S tire in the 145/80/12 size that these use. Or you can always move up to a 13" wheel.
    Once mine arrives i will shoot a few pictures of it next to my smart and my Prius C for comparison.
    The dimensions and engine size are regulated my law. That is what the "Kei" class is. (kei jidōsha, which stands for "light automobile")
    The vans are amazingly roomy for a 10.5' long vehicle. This one does have working A/C. Those plaid seat covers are covering what look to be very good condition seats. I would have preferred a turbo version, but these vans are hard to find and can get expensive. This one was priced right so i grabbed it. I would have loved to get one of the pickups, but the cabin is just too tight for my large frame and long legs. The van offers a little more room.
    I would still like to get a Jimny some day. Time will tell.

Jay, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I had a Daihatsu micro truck when I was on Antigua. It was mid-engined, RWD with a 550cc, 30hp twin-cylinder 4-stroke engine. I loved it! It was actually rated at 1/2 ton payload. I never tried to carry that much but it was very versatile and practical. It had a top speed of about 55mph which was plenty because the speed limit on the island was 45mph. It was geared low enough to climb trees in first. It had an impossibly small turning circle. I bought it new and had to sell it less than a year later when I was transferred. sigh.

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  8. You could put a v8 in it....

9. Blackbelt

ROFL!!!! The torque was bending that poor little van!
    Jay, you can buy one of those now, and drive it...

10. Blackbelt

The guy i got mine from has 32 of the mini trucks available starting at $3200
    And thats a 4WD

11. Nice! If all my cash wasnt being set aside for the next home purchase, I'd buy one right now

12. Blackbelt

I can certainly understand that, having been there. Happily, we were finally able to pay off our home 2 years ago which enables us to indulge in toys like this as we approach retirement. Most of my fellow citizens are dropping $40K+ on new vehicles. The 4 vehicles i actually own don't total $25K( Prius C, smart, Pao and the van), and the one lease vehicle i have (Jeep Renegade) was $21K. I will probably buy it at the end of the lease, but that not for a few more years.

13. Blackbelt

The Sambar has arrived. I will be spending some time this weekend checking it over. First impressions are pretty good, it appears to have been well taken care of.

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  14. Blackbelt

Having had some time to vet the van, it looks pretty good so far. I have ordered and received a timing belt, tensioner, water pump, plus all needed tune up parts. I will be getting it to the local garage as soon as possible. I still need to get insurance on it then i have to get it titled and registered. The 4WD switch on the shifter is malfunctioning, so i need to check into that. Otherwise, it seems like a solid vehicle. From what i can see on my hands and knees the underside looks good, but i will get it on a lift for further evaluation. Since the seatcovers turned out to be Subaru factory, my wife wants to try to repair and retain them. Fine with me, as the seats underneath are in pristine condition. I am kicking around upgrading to a 14" wheel. Those 12's are comical looking to me!

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Yeah , but isn't that the whole point of this car ? Keep the 12's , lol.

RedylC94 likes this.
  16. Blackbelt

For now i think i will. The tires have plenty of tread, but look a little old. I will keep my eyes open for a low cost set of 13 or 14 inch wheels. At least its a common bolt pattern, 4x100

17. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The outer diameter on those 12's looks pretty small. Go to a 14" wheel and you'll want to get low-pro tires to avoid rubbing at steering lock.
    The 14" alloys on the Mitsubishi Mirage are 4x100 with a 56.1 mm center bore. The sketchy specs I can find on the mid '90s Subaru Justy - hopefully showing a common Subaru fitment - show 4x100 and 59.1mm center bore. So be careful when wheel shopping because 54.1 and 56.1 centers are common on many Japanese and Korean cars as well as late GM/Daewoo. Early GM Saturn/Cavalier were 57.1mm center. A couple of sites list Nissans from the 90s as 4x100 and 59.1mm center on Sentra, 200SX, NX2000 and Pulsar. So you could end up with a sweet set of SE-R alloys that bolt right on, and then some rubberbands to stretch over them.

18. Blackbelt

The stock wheels are a 12x4 ET45 with a 59.1 center bore. Stock tire on this is a 145R12. 13" that i think would work would be a 155/80/13, which was a pretty common size on early VW rabbits and Chrysler Omnis. 14" would be 165/60/14, which is not real common.
    I got the van insured, and went to the notary today to get it titled and registered. It should be legal for me to drive next week. At that point, it goes to the shop for the timing belt and tuneup. Today i am going to give it a good power buffing and polishing, to find the shine i know is underneath.

19. Blackbelt

Well, i did find the shine, but i am pretty darnn sore from the effort. Buffed on some clearcaot paint cleaner, buffed it off, then went over it with a towel. Then hand applied Rejex polish and hand buffed the entire van again. Even though it's a Kei van, there is still a lot of sheet metal to cover. It turned out great, shines beautifully for a 28 year old vehicle with original paint.
    I did get the Pao to the shop last week and got the timing belt replaced as well as an oil change and new spark plugs. Its registered and insured and ready to be driven. Not real anxious to get it out a lot now due to it still being winter and this has been a horrific year here for potholes. I don't want to break a tie rod or blow out a shock on one of those monsters,

20. EdwinTheMagnificent

It would be nice to see a pic that 'reflects" all your hard work.