Uber - LYFT Rideshare

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Feb 4, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

A few thoughts after two days…

[​IMG]

Uber rides in the more populated areas provide enough work and income to make it viable. Overall it pays better than LYFT and with its market share, requests are usually within 4 to 6 minutes of your present location in MIlwaukee. Meaning less dead head time driving from one ride to the next.

LYFT provides larger bonus’ up front but in IL, they have a $2.00 minimum and with less LYFT drivers, requests can arrive with as much as 25 minutes out to pick up. Unlike Uber, LYFT does not provide income for pickups beyond 10-minutes, so you are dead heading to and most likely dead heading back. This does not work out for the driver.

Two IL LYFT Case Study from my dashboard yesterday

14 minutes out request in North Chicago, IL.

Pickup with Dual Destination ride request.
    Total Distance: 5.2 miles
    Total time: 31-minutes and 12 sec.
    Total Pay: $9.70

14-minutes back to Waukegan.

11-minutes out request in Waukegan, IL

Pickup with Dual Destination ride request.
    Total Distance: 1.08 miles
    Total time: 4-minutes and 41 sec.
    Total Pay: $2.74

On the other hand, this was far Northern IL and Milwaukee and includes $0 bonus’ which Lyft stacks upon its drivers like cord wood after a given period and appears to add about $4.00 per ride to the tally. 41 in total over the two nights.

Driving in downtown Chicago last night was a bit more rewarding at $20/hour not incl. bonus $s and no pings over 7-minutes away.

All-in, Uber appears to be the more viable platform with LYFT used as a secondary running at the same time until a request to fill in slow periods.

From comments, many love the three smartphone fast charging cords capable of charging three at the same time. One lady's iphone went from 33 to 61 percent over the course of her ride last night.

[​IMG]

The Elantra ECO averaged 42.1 mpg since its last refuel with 100 percent rideshare drives around downtown Milwaukee, downtown Chicago, and all points between in temps from 13 to 44 degrees F and over 75 miles in snow. This is much higher than I had originally anticipated.:)

Wayne

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

How are they treating your car? When I drove for Uber they would put their feet on the dash, leave trash on the floor, etc. It got to the point where I was spending more time cleaning the car than I was driving. The nail in the coffin was one evening I got a ping for a pickup 50 minutes away, and it wasn't a surge. I was so upset. If they needed to ping a driver almost an hour away, it should be some sort of a surge fare.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. xcel

Hi 08EscapeHybrid:

I have been vacuuming it out each morning with my portable Black and Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium 20V Pivot Vacuum. That takes about 5-minutes. At the same time, I wipe off the doors sills and back of the seats - Hyundai's hard plastic seat backing. Given the recent snow, my cars exterior is filthy and I am going to run it through the local $3.00 auto car wash this afternoon.

Black and Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium 20V Pivot Vacuum

[​IMG]

If I received a ping for 50-minutes away, I would not take it! On LYFT I had a 21 minute to arrive ping yesterday when I was 15-miles from the pickup. I took it and it was a 0.7-mile ride that earned just $2.93. That barely paid for the fuel which meant it cost me to pick that person up! UBER starts the clock at 10-minutes for anyone over 10-minutes out which makes it palatable.

LYFT still has a ways to go to get this right. LYFT also incentivizes the hell out of their offerings with $90, $230, and $355 bonus' but anything more than 12+ minute pings in any direction for a few $s make it almost unusable.

Current LYFT Rideshare Incentives

$90 incentive - 90%+ Accept Rate, 40-peak rides (2 to 3 hours in the morning and 2 to 3 hours in the evening), and 75 total rides.
    $230 incentive - 90%+ Accept Rate, 50-peak rides (2 to 3 hours in the morning and 2 to 3 hours in the evening), and 115 total rides.
    $355 incentive - 90%+ Accept Rate, 55-peak rides (2 to 3 hours in the morning and 2 to 3 hours in the evening), and 145 total rides.

Consider you "may" average about 2.5 rides/hour in a major city like Chicago or < 2 in any suburb or rural area - to get to 145 total rides, you will have to be on the road for more than 55 hours. The peak times are also tough to reach 55 rides in the 35 hours allotted you have to be out there at all kinds of crazy times! Here is the "Peak Rides" schedule:
    • Monday: 06:00 AM to 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM (5-hours)
    • Tuesday: 07:00 AM to 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM (4-hours)
    • Wednesday: 07:00 AM to 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM - (4-hours)
    • Thursday: 07:00 AM to 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM - (4-hours)
    • Friday: 07:00 AM to 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM and 10:00 PM to 02:00 AM (8-hours)
    • Saturday: 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM and 10:00 PM to 03:00 AM (8-hours)
    • Sunday: 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (2-hours)
    All in without any bonus', I added $750 to my coffers over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night with 65-rides on LYFT - mostly IL and 9 rides on the Uber platform exclusively in Wisconsin. <-- Changing that to IL soon.

The best part is you meet some pretty cool people. The worst part besides the stupid long pings on LYFT, waiting between pings so run Uber and LYFT concurrently, a lot of people smoke marijuana for some reason - not in your car but you can smell it on their clothes when they get in, and you cannot see the "Big Game" on SiriusXM. Listening was ok but you sure do miss a lot. :)

• Elantra ECO Tank #5: All ride share between downtown Milwaukee, WI and downtown Chicago, IL with temps from 36 to 12 degrees F: 593.1 miles on 13.668 gallons = 43.39 mpg vs. 46.0 mpg indicated
    • Elantra ECO Tank #6: All ride share between the IL/WI border and most driven in downtown Chicago, IL with temps from 44 to -5 degrees F: 496.3 miles on 11.862 gallons = 41.83 mpg vs. 43.1 mpg indicated
    2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO

[​IMG]

When I pulled in early this morning, this is what I was looking at: 240+ miles including > 150-miles of inner city Chicago rideshare in temps so darn cold you do not want to be out at all.

2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO

[​IMG]

Wayne

4. xcel

Hi All:

Do not try and clean your windows with glass cleaner when it is 5 degrees. It is a mess and will take 10Xs as long to get off. :(

Wayne

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  5. Windshield washer solvent in a spray bottle.

I always got a laugh at the uber passengers around the college that didnt understand my volt was a 4 passenger car.
    One time i had 5 girls in the back seat, and 2 in the front, plus me, all in the volt!

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Uber X is for up to 4 passengers. Over 4, and you're taking on a lot of risk. Best is to just reject the ride, that way they can't rate you. If you squeeze everyone in, you're probably not getting a good rating because everyone is shoehorned in. If you make them call in a second Uber X, or an Uber XL, you get dinged on the rating because they didn't get their way.

All this and Uber's rating system is rigged to eventually deactivate all drivers. Anything other than a 5 star rating is a vote to deactivate the driver. Some people may give you a 4 thinking that's like a B, but for Uber, if you get rated 4 on every ride, you will be deactivated.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That reminds me of this house I lived in right after my marriage. It was a huge house , and I had five roommates.
    One of them told me "Wait until you see our hot tub. It holds four people , six if they're naked !"

08EscapeHybrid and xcel like this.
  8. xcel

HI All:

Monday night in Frigid Chicago was HOT! The efficiency was not so good however. First ride was 41 miles from ion to downtown and it took 3 hours and 3 minutes. That is the way the entire night went. That said, It was a $350 night without any bonus' added.

All said, LYFT on weekends in Chicago is only barely acceptable. Uber then. Milwaukee? You have got to be kidding!!! Unless LYFT provides a ride start after 10-minutes, I would stay away from it.

During the morning and afternoon hours, LYFT in down town for work and $s.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco's Tank #7. Tamps from -5 to 24 degrees F and over 450 miles of downtown inner city of Chicago rideshare and 250 of it during a 12-hour snow mess. Mess was an understatement. :(

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG]
    $3.00 quick auto car wash, free vacuum, and then a refuel for the next days activities.
    565.9 miles on 15.636 gallons = 36.2 mpg and ready to roll again.​

Given the temps, I am not completely topping off so that is high by a few tenths.

Wayne

9. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I missed something that you posted elsewhere, but can I ask you why you are doing this? Why be a rideshare driver at all and why go all the way to Chicago to do it? Is it a promotion of some sort?

xcel likes this.
  10. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I don't speak for Wayne of course... :)

Not sure why Wayne's going to the trouble, other than it's a living. He DOES have roots in the Chicago area; California's a more recent change of environment.

Seems like a great experiment to me, and we wouldn't have seen the Uber-based rebates in action otherwise. That $1k (?) is possibly reason enough to give driving for a rideshare a try, though you'd never catch me doing it. :) Wayne did a live demo of "how low can you go" in his Elantra acquisition. I think he's done a few over the years, crossing state boundaries to do so.

He's also demonstrating lowest TCO perhaps. He also did some optimization on the car insurance side.

xcel and puddleglum like this.
  11. xcel

Hi Puddleglum:

I am in Chicago for the Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee Auto Shows so I started the great experiment here.

The first two weeks results show LYFT far behind UBER when it comes to earning potential from the Northern IL Suburbs to south Chicago. After 320 LYFT rides show it allows far to many long distance/time - 15+ miles and 20+ minute pings with $3 rides on the end, ending up even further outside any self imposed geo fence. Uber allows time payment after 10-minutes of travel and customer requests show No Uber rideshares are available when the available pool of drivers are either busy or over 15-minutes away,

The high end LYFT Power Bonus' are almost unobtainable. After more than 90-hours of LYFT during week one and 80 percent of all peak hours driven, I only met the second tier of bonus requirements adding just $90 to the total. Week 2 at 60-hours and 75 percent of the Peak hours driven show just a $130 bonus addition. Many hours in the far northern and far southern suburbs show pay as little as $5/hr which barely covers the fuel let alone the car and your time. In the surge period/areas - Prime time in LYFT lingo, Lyft rarely provides a 25 to 100 percent bonus. After all those rides, < 10 are Prime times despite spending hours within the zones.

Overall LYFT earnings are coming in around $18/hr.

Uber on the other hand is loaded with real time bonus periods and locations leading one to a $23/hour payout although I have only 61 rides over the course of three days of dual Lyft-Uber rideshare apps running. When Uber gets spun up, you have rides waiting before you drop off you current customers and this will continue for 4 to 6-hours at a stretch.

Wayne

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  12. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne for the explanation, and Bill, for your thoughts as well.
    I admire the work you put into reviewing aspects of the auto industry that most everyone else ignores. It just seemed strange that you would travel all the way across the country to a strange city for no other reason than this type of an experiment. It makes more sense if you were going there already and have past history with the area.
    Regarding the experiment, you seem to have confirmed what I what I would expect. It would be tough to make a living doing it year around. After you factor in gas and all the vehicle expenses, there doesn't sound like there's much left to live on.

xcel, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  13. xcel

Hi Puddleglum:

I have a home here and my parents are here as well.

I have a lot more to add including some wildly negative screenshots but they will have to come later.

Wayne

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

First 400 complete as of last night and 28-days later. The $650 signup bonus should be just hours away after the request sent in earlier today.

[​IMG]

A lot more to come.

Wayne

08EscapeHybrid, Markus and BillLin like this.
  15. xcel

Hi All:

I am closing in on the end of the first month - January 28th through February 28th - with an earnings totaling $7,904. January had 31 days however so more along the lines of $7,500 minus vehicle expenses and depreciation... It also includes a LYFT $650 bonus as well.

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Not bad at all ! I think I should do some of that. I do have the perfect city car.

17. xcel

Hi Edwin:

Go for it! :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. xcel

Hi All:

Last week ended up at $2,957.47. A ton of hours however. My Uber rating after 410 rides is 4.94 out of 5 and my LYFT rating after 470 rides has now climbed to 5.0 out of 5. Uber averages the last 500 rides whereas LYFT averages only the last 100.

With no snow and temps just above freezing, the 2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO is providing between 42 and 45 mpg after 350 to 400 miles/day. I am talking about thousands of accelerations and deceleration to a stop per day. Uber actually measures it while with a customer and it is always in the 500s. 350 or so while under LYFT and another 500+ without customers onboard.

Uber

1/29 - 2/05: $108.61 <-- Short first week
    2/05 - 2/11: $0.00 <-- San Diego to Milwaukee to Chicago Uber region swap
    2/12 - 2/18: $692.10
    2/19 - 2/25: $1,493.67
    2/26 - 3/04: $1,612.91

Lyft

1/29 - 2/05: $658.18 <-- Short first week
    2/05 - 2/11: $1,755.15
    2/12 - 2/18: $1,140.40
    2/19 - 2/25: $721.40
    2/26 - 3/04: $1,344.56

Totals

1/29 - 2/05: $766.79 <-- Short first week

2/05 - 2/11: $1,755.15
    2/12 - 2/18: $1,832.50
    2/19 - 2/25: $2,215.07
    2/26 - 3/04: $2,957.47
    ---------------------------
    $9,526.98

Just 3 more weeks and I should have made enough to pay off the car in its entirety incl. TTL and Rideshare mods. Those include the California taxes, IL plates and registration, Mini-spare, fast charging cables, 12V to 5 USB port fast charger, iOttie OneTouch 4, Husky mats, Garmin Smart70, and the Black and Decker 24V hand vac.

I have to break down the expenses as well and they are not insignificant after 12,118 miles. Those incl. $600+ in fuel, $80 for (2) oil changes and $30 in bottled water.

Brakes are surely going to need to be replaced before 30k miles and tires at 40 to 60k. Probably new struts and shocks at the 75k mark as well.

Rideshare beats the hell out of your car. :(

Wayne

puddleglum, DaveJ and BillLin like this.
  19. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

How long do you plan on doing rideshare driving?

BillLin likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Great thread. I worked as a courier for a summer a couple years back. Before Uber and Lyft. I delivered mostly lost luggage for the airlines to customers around the region. I also delivered strange things like live pet birds and live organs from hospitals to waiting private jets at airports. I once carried an airplane part from the airport in Jackson, WY to another airport in Aspen, CO. I can relate to the wear and tear on your vehicle. I drove my poor Acura to the ground. I didn't make any money at it--maybe $4. hr after expenses.

I think I had the perfect car for the job. It's got to be able to haul stuff. That means hatchback or liftback. It's got to get terrific gas mileage. It's got to be old with a lot of miles so the depreciation doesn't kill you, yet still reliable as a rock.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018