Hyundai Unveils New 2006 Accent Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by tigerhonaker, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. Who knows. It could be my next car. That is of course depending on how much trunk space it has for 'lectronics.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tiger:

___I spoke with a Hyundai rep at the Chicago Autoshow and he offered absolutely nothing in regards to their hybrid initiatives? At $15 - $16K for an Accent Hybrid, they most certainly could make a splash both here in the states and even around the world!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. tigerhonaker

xcel;

This was interesting to me, because we are a Chevy Dealer and a Hyundai Dealer. Separate Facilities but both under the same Owners. So I want to see how Hyundai does with this Hybrid.

Just another comment here on Hyundai cars. I just test drove a New Hyundai Sonata and believe me when I say this. It was just as quite and nice as the Accord. Fit and Finish was Perfect. Very nice car. The Warranty is Fantastic.

Terry

5. xcel

Hi Tiger:

___The new Sonata sure does look good and it is rated as a Full size vs. Mid-size like the Accord, Fusion, and Camry. Talk about sneaking one in under the radar screen ;) Their ICE tech has increased mightily as well to compete in the HP and FE arena with the best that America and Japan have to offer. Not bad for a company known for buy backs and broken promises not 5 + years ago …

___In any case, you might want to read the following head to head reviews. I am surprised and very happy to see the Ford Fusion competing with the Best-in-Class Accord as well. I can’t wait to get behind the windscreen of an 08 Fusion Hybrid as it might be the real sleeper of late 2007 :D

Comparison Test: Hyundai Sonata Takes on the Accord and Camry and Mid-Size Four-Door Sedans

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Texashchman

Texashchman Well-Known Member

Hyundai sonata

Was in Chicago this past week, not a good trip as it was for a funeral but they had us in a Hyundai Sonata. It had a V6 and without any hypermiling we were getting 30 mpg with the a/c on. I looked this car up after we got back to Houston and the sticker for it is like 22,000 for the top of the line one. With this price and just thinking if I had used hypermiling I can see why the HAH isn't making it! IMHO. Wonder what car we'll get since we're going back this next week. kevin

7. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai sonata

That's so funny -- that was my car till January when I bought the HCH-II. I still have it but daughter home from college will drive it now. It was a pretty good car and yes the V6 has great zip. I don't recall the mileage since I didn't even track it but 30mpg sounds in the ballpark.

I agree what you get is great value for the money. Standard warranty is better than most too. Mine was a 2003 when Hyundai was just coming out of their quality slide and I'm not sure my car got the benefit. The moonroof had to be replaced in the first 3 months and the transmission last year (under warranty, no cost). The paint is peeling around the mirror and handles too.

Coincidentally yesterday I had to drive the Sonata for the first time in 5 months. I felt liberated from the nagging hybrid gauges, but found the hybrid driving habits took right over so they seem to have dug long tap roots within a fairly short time. I was relieved to go back to my car today.

8. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

yeah the sonata 5spd with the 4 cyliner engine was my dream car for awhile. Best value ever to hit the car market.

9. tigerhonaker

The New 2006 Hyundai Sonata is a {Great-Bargain} with one of the Best-Warranties in the Industry.

We are a Hyundai Dealer along with a completely separate Chevy Dealership that I work for.

I thought about getting the 2006 Hyundai myself. Then as usual I just cannot tear myself away from those doggone (Hondas). So here I am with another Honda. The HCH II and as always when I have purchased the Hondas over the years
    I "LOVE-IT". :D

There is just No-Hope for me. Hondas-Hondas-Hondas-Hondas-Hondas-Hondas and Terry goes to sleep counting those Hondas. :p

Terry

The Honda Nut

10. tigerhonaker

Dollar For Dollar, Hyundai 2006 Accent Is Hard To Beat

Dollar For Dollar, Hyundai Accent Is Hard To Beat[​IMG]

By Steven Cole Smith, The Sentinel[​IMG][​IMG]Published on 9/16/2006 in Wheels » Wheels National

[​IMG][​IMG]Hyundai's entry-level car received a redesign for 2006, and though the trend these past few years seems to be toward making little, cheap cars larger and more expensive, Hyundai pretty much kept the Accent what it has been since 1994: a little, cheap car, albeit one that offers a lot of value for the money. And though it is larger and more expensive than the model it replaces, the increase in size and price isn't substantial.

Not that long ago, the Accent's main competitor was not so much other inexpensive new cars, but compact cars that were a year or two old. Hyundai raised the stakes — and sales of its cars as a result — with a best-in-industry warranty that continues today: a five-year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, a 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, and 24-hour roadside assistance for five years.

Because it's assumed that Accent buyers are not rich — otherwise, why would they buy an Accent? — a lengthy new-car warranty gave customers far more peace of mind than you would get from a used-car dealer.

That warranty is what put the Accent on the radar of many customers, but Hyundai has continued to upgrade the car substantially. The 2006 (and the 2007, for that matter) sedan comes in just one model, the GLS, with your main decision being a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. Base price of the manual is $12,455, and for the automatic — like our test car — $13,305. Shipping is $540. Air conditioning is $800.

Otherwise, the Accent GLS is pretty well-equipped: You get anti-lock disc brakes, side and side-curtain air bags, a tilt steering wheel and a 172-watt, six-speaker stereo with a CD player. All I'd really want extra is cruise control, which isn't offered.
    All that said, this is still an entry-level car. The Accent's 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine has 110 horsepower, up from 104 in 2005, but it isn't the smoothest engine in its size category. With the automatic transmission, power is more than adequate, but the harder you accelerate, the more you are reminded that this isn't a Honda Civic. Fuel mileage, at an EPA-rated 28 miles per gallon city, 36 mpg highway, is on par with cars this size. Get the manual transmission, and mileage is 32 mpg city, 35 mpg highway.

Inside, the trim, gauges and upholstery do not look at all downmarket. Front seats could use a little more padding, but they're fine as they are. Rear-seat room is tight for adults, but they'll fit, and kids will be quite comfortable. Trunk space is big for a car this size. A hatchback version is available as a 2007 model, though under the skin, both models are essentially the same.

On the highway, the ride isn't bad, but even though the '06 Accent is 1.8 inches longer and an inch wider than it was in 2005, you are still in one of the smallest cars on the road, and it takes nothing more than a passing 18-wheeler to remind you. Handling isn't bad, limited mostly by a very basic suspension and smallish tires. A premium “sport” package is offered with several features — none sporty — but you do get bigger tires and alloy wheels.

The Accent's main new-car competition is its cousin, the Kia Rio, which shares many of the mechanical bits and pieces. Dollar for dollar, though, the Accent is very hard to beat. It's nobody's idea of a dream ride, but it's cheap enough so that you might have money left over to pursue some other, non-automotive dreams. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=353755a1-b5c5-4793-8aa3-616d70a33abe

11. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

Re: Dollar For Dollar, Hyundai 2006 Accent Is Hard To Beat

i think i got a hyundai as a rental car one time on a vacation, and i thought they were pretty decent. as far as comparing it to kia......my sister has a kia and it's a piece of junk, as far as i'm concerned. it LOOKS cheap... and is.

12. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

Re: Dollar For Dollar, Hyundai 2006 Accent Is Hard To Beat

i rather buy a used hybrid for the same price, but that's just me.

Hyundais you have to commit to them if your going to buy them, selling them is such a big depreciation hit.

13. xcel

Hyundai Gives a Tour of its Hybrid Research Center.

“The biggest obstacle we have in developing hybrids is not technology but cost.”

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hyundai_Motors_-_Engineers_Testing_Hybrids.jpg[/xfloat]Chosun Ilbo - Mar. 23, 2007

Researchers at Hyundai Motor’s Namyang Technology Research Center test components that will be used in its hybrid cars.

Lee Ki-sang, the head of the hybrid vehicle team at Hyundai Motor’s Namyang Technology Research Center, is confident about the future of Korea’s hybrid car. “We can develop a hybrid car that is way better than Honda’s by 2009,” he says. “Korea has battery manufacturers included in the world’s top 10 and boasts the most advanced electronics technology. Because we are working with such companies, I am confident that we’ll make a great achievement.”

Hybrid cars are energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly cars that combine an on-board rechargeable battery and a gasoline-powered engine. Japanese car makers such as Honda and Toyota dominate over 90 percent of the global hybrid market, while Hyundai is only at a stage where it is test-producing some vehicles for government use.

Getting ready to compete with Japan

The Namyang Technology Research Center is where all the work on Hyundai's hybrid vehicles is taking place. Concerned about security, Hyundai has never shown the center to the public before. Entering the lab, one can see some 100 researchers working at their computers or various testing devices in an open space of around 1,000 sq.m. The core component of a hybrid car is the hybrid control unit (HCU) that controls all vehicle systems including the engine, power and brake systems. Some researchers were testing the HCU with high-tech devices with three or four computer monitors. Others were testing Japanese and Korean vehicles in a workshop.

Hyundai plans to produce 3,390 hybrid cars for the government by 2008 and start commercial sales from 2009 with its Avante Hybrid, which is one of the models being tested at the workshop. The Avante Hybrid will be Hyundai's flagship in the category, which it plans to sell both at home and in the U.S. where it will compete with the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Technology Works, Now Hyundai Must Lower Hybrid Prices

Although Hyundai Motor started its hybrid project in 1997, it didn't take the idea seriously because the company thought the vehicles would be quickly replaced by hydrogen fuel-cell cars. But favorable sales of Japanese hybrids in the U.S. and movements in North America and Europe to tighten regulations on carbon dioxide emissions prompted the company to change its mind.

Having already supplied Click Hybrid vehicles to the government in 2004, Hyundai has proved that its technology is as good as Japan’s. The problem is the price tag. “The biggest obstacle we have in developing hybrids is not technology but cost,” Lee says. “We still can’t procure parts like motors, inverters and batteries as cheaply as the Japanese car makers.”

As a result, Hyundai wants all its core components to be Korean-made by 2009. “It’s not easy to develop car batteries that can endure high temperatures and absorb a strong impact,” a team member says. “But we’ll do our best to produce hybrid cars with Korean-made components, so that we can enhance our competitiveness.”

14. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai Gives a Tour of its Hybrid Research Center.

I've never been a fan of Hyndai's cars, but any new hybrid is a good one.

15. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai Gives a Tour of its Hybrid Research Center.

I would definitely give a hyundai hybrid a chance. They have great warranties and lately the quality is among the best.

16. xcel

Hyundai seeks to offer diesels in the U.S.

“Fundamentally, you don’t get a payback on a hybrid.”

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hyundai_Getz.jpg[/xfloat]Justin Hyde - Detroit Free Press - April 5, 2007

Hyundai Getz - European Diesel equipped while Euro rated at 42.8 mpg Urban/60.1 mpg Extra Urban.

NEW YORK - Hyundai may offer diesel engines across its U.S. lineup of cars and trucks as an alternative to gasoline-electric hybrids if it can clear cost and technical hurdles, the automaker said Thursday.

Steve Wilhite, chief operating officer of Hyundai Motor America, said while Hyundai was developing its own hybrid technology, diesels made better financial sense for its customers.

“The highest priority on my personal wish list is bringing our diesel technology to the United States, and I’d like to bring that across all of our products,” Wilhite said in an interview at the New York Auto Show.

“It just seems like a much more elegant solution to me than a hybrid.”

Every major automaker has been working on new diesel models for the United States as the federal government has finalized strict new emissions rules and lawmakers consider tougher fuel economy standards. Honda Motor Co. has said it will offer a new diesel engine in 2009, and German automakers have been promising several diesel variants.

Wilhite, who had been global marketing manager for Nissan before taking the Hyundai post in August, said if a diesel option costs about $1,000, it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Diesels and hybrids can post 40% better fuel efficiency than gasoline engines in some vehicles, but hybrids cost $2,000 to $3,000 more than standard models.

“Fundamentally, you don’t get a payback on a hybrid,” Wilhite said. “In a diesel, you more than cover the premium.”

Wilhite also said while Toyota Motor Co. has been successful with its Prius hybrid, part of that success has come from government tax incentives and state rules, especially in California, allowing hybrids in carpool lanes.

California ended that benefit last year, and USA Today recently reported that Priuses with permits for carpool lanes were worth $4,000 more on the used car market. Toyota has offered incentives on the Prius this year, and boosted their offers to up to $2,000 on Wednesday.

Hyundai already sells diesel models in Europe and Asia, but Wilhite said the company was still working on ways to meet the strict new U.S. standards.

17. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai seeks to offer diesels in the U.S.

If they can get them here to be sold, that would be good.

At my last check, US diesel prices were higher than gasoline prices. One would need to verify that the cost/mile is sufficiently improved to warrant the cost of the diesel engine.

Another concern to be aware of is the lack of diesel technicians, and general lack of diesel knowledge among those who work on cars. Even quickie-lube oil changers will have to do some things differently on diesels (heavier oils, in general), and there will be some growing pains, especially for early buyers of those cars.

18. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai seeks to offer diesels in the U.S.

Regular unleaded is $2.91 and diesel is $2.93 here in las vegas. I really don't think it would pay for it's fuel savings in a year. I'd say maybe 2 years unless the price on regular goes up drastically. But then again diesel's price will follow close behind regular as well.

19. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

Hyundai i30 diesel wins Green Car award in Australia

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/11/23/hyundai-i30-diesel-wins-green-car-award-in-australia/

Too bad it's in Australia though... Mpg on this is pretty nice for it's size.

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Re: Hyundai i30 diesel wins Green Car award in Australia

That number is likely to have been calculated using imperial gallons so the winning number would be US 61.2mpg -- still quite good. Assuming the quoted 50mpg is also calculated the same way and is intended to represent a combined rating we arrive at a figure which is US 41.7mpg. I'd buy one of those! Any hypermiler worth his/her salt should be able to pull 50+mpg in such a vehicle without much effort, and quite likely substantially higher with some determination.

I'd sure love to get my hands one something like this car!