Common Motor Oil Is About to Radically Change

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 25, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] One new formulation will provide better efficiency and protection for vehicles from the Model T to today. Another specifically designed for future automobiles will create a high probability of engine damage if used incorrectly.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 9, 2018

[​IMG]
    Current ILSAC GF-5 spec Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Pennzoil Platinum Plus Full Synthetic ready for use in my own vehicles.​

Los Angeles, CA – At the January meeting of the Motor Press Guild (MPG), Shell brought in Pennzoil and Quaker State experts to discuss and disseminate details regarding the current status and future of motor oil. Within, there was a very serious warning for the consumer and professional auto expert alike. Current ILSAC GF-5 and near future API SN Plus/GF-6a oils will be good for automobiles ranging from the first Model Ts to the latest 2018 Toyota Camry requiring ultra-light weight 0W-16 viscosity motor oil. When the ILSAC GF-6b standard is finally disseminated and becomes available to the consumer as early as 2020, using that oil in your current car could place your vehicles engine at risk of seizure and stranding you on the side of the road with a very expensive repair ahead.

With the ILSAC GF-6bs harsh warning out of the way for future vehicle use, a new API SN Plus and the latest ILSAC GF-6a specifications are meant to add even more protection from a recently discovered combustion event arising from the automotive industry’s use of Direct injection and turbo charging. It is called Low Speed Pre-ignition (LSPI). The new oil formulations will mitigate LSPI, lower friction even further, and increase how far we can travel on a given quantity of fuel.

New API SN Plus Motor Oil Specification

What: To support the next generation of fuel-efficient, low-emission engines while providing continued protection and performance for virtually all cars on the road today, the automotive and motor oil industries are working on the next generation of motor oil specifications. The American Petroleum Institute (API) and Auto Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have agreed to launch a supplemental passenger car motor oil specification, API SN PLUS.

API SN PLUS is still being defined, but Shell believes that their Dexos Gen 2 formulations will meet the new requirements. As soon as this supplemental category is fully defined and the testing protocol for the API SN PLUS license is available, Shell will seek API SN PLUS certifications for the following products and expect to claim API SN PLUS for them on first use date:
    • Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oils - SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W30
    • Pennzoil Gold Motor Oils - SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30
    • Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic Motor Oils - SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30
    • Quaker State Synthetic Blend Motor Oils - SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30
    Why: As OEMs strive for increasing efficiency to comply with current and future emission regulation targets, many have introduced downsized engines that provide greater fuel economy under normal driving conditions while delivering higher power-density and torque. These downsized engines are often equipped with a direct injection and turbochargers, generally known as Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection, or TGDI.

The high pressures from turbocharging combined with direct fuel injection into the combustion chamber makes them susceptible to a phenomenon known as Low Speed Pre-Ignition, or LSPI. While the mechanism of LSPI is not yet fully understood, research has shown that motor oil properties may be a contributing factor.

OEMs can mitigate LSPI by adjusting the engine operating conditions, but in doing so they inhibit some high efficiency engine operating conditions.

Motor oils can be reformulated to help prevent LSPI, and the Auto-Oil Advisory Panel, which is developing the ILSAC GF-6 standard, has commissioned a new testing method for LSPI. Amid growing concerns about LSPI among OEMs, the urgent need for a supplemental service category became evident. This new supplemental category, known as API SN PLUS, will include the testing protocol for API SN and a special test for LSPI.

When: Shell, Pennzoil and Quaker State expects the first use of the API SN PLUS spec to reach the consumer space sometime in May of 2018.

Shell – Pennzoil/Quaker State ILSAC GF-5, 6, 6a, 6b, and API SN Plus Presentation

Presented by Dr. Richard Dixon, Technology Manager, Pennzoil and Jeff Hsu, Technology Manager, Quaker State

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the exact causes of LSPI are still being determined in labs around the world, the addition of a small amount of calcium and one other non-disclosed element mitigate the detrimental effects of this condition to the point auto makers can tune their engines for maximum efficiency and performance right through the low power area where the pre-ignition phenomena use to occur. The new SN Plus and ILSAC GF-6a formulations mitigate the effects and automakers can open up their tunes to improve the consumer driving experience even further.

All-in, with an LSPI mitigation additive added to near future motor oils, the new API SN Plus and ILSAC GF-6a formulations will not only offering improved efficiency but improved protection. These new motor oils should reach store shelves for DIYers like myself in just a few months. When the even newer ILSAC GF-6b oils hit store shelves in just a few years, look out as possible damage to your vehicles could be as simple as purchasing the wrong oil bottle.

#MPGPennzoil #QuakerState #Pennzoil #Shell

kbergene, Jay and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I like the subliminal advertising. :) (hint: where the first shot was taken)

xcel likes this.
  3. Erdrick

Erdrick Well-Known Member

This is comically supportive of why ICE is dead and EV is the future (and present).

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Fascinating, I will have to read up a little on low speed pre ignition, and should probably look for SN-Plus the next time I'm buying oil.

5. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I would like to see what the fuel economy gain would be with 0w-16 over 0w-20 synthetic oil. I looked a the Penzoil website and looks like the 0w-16 oil for the 2018 Camry LE hybrid is not available....

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Alster:

The Camry allows a one-time change to 0W-20. To get the 0W-16, you have to pick it up from a Toyota dealer until the specifications are locked down. Hopefully by this May.

Efficiency gains? The OEMs will only provide an EPA using the oil speced for the car. We have had the ability to use 0W-20 in most 5W-20 rated cars for years but using 0W-16 could be stretching the limits? The shear boundary layer has to be so thick to keep metal to metal contact from occurring. This is one of the key warnings for future ILSAC GF-6b use as the consumer could be placing 0W-12 in their car when it is speced for 0W-20 and kaput. There are other reasons not to as well but the Scientists did not want to get into those reasons since the formulations are still going through testing.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

The 0w-16 is far from new in Japan, and some cars are already using 0w-8 there.

8. xcel

Hi Trollbait:

I saw some 0W-12 and 0W-16 use but never 0W-8 yet. The Standards are not yet created so they will not be here for a while yet.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I remember when the 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid came out that called for 0w20 oil and that oil was only available
    at the time at Honda dealers. Now 0w-20 oil is available by nearly every manufacture. I'm sure the same will happen with 0w-16 oil as
    well when more cars require that grade of oil.

10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

fwiw, ... Fuel in the oil has been a common complaint/worry for the 1.5t civic owners.

My blackstone sample at 10,600 miles (before first oil change) had a fuel reading of 0.8 (<2.0 acceptable). Comments from my lab report included: "Some fuel is present, but 0.8% isn't enough to thin the oil or harm the engine."

/Blackstone wasn't worried about it, and said to go up to 12,000 miles on next change. .... so I'm planning on going 11,000+ on this oil change and pulling another sample just before that (just like last time).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Wow can't wait to see 0w-0 oil lol!

I see nothing mentioned about zink/phosphorus. This is why I use Redline Oil in my engines also my trans because it's a Class V oil. ZP is the most important for cam wear

12. xcel

Hi Prius C Pilot:

Redline does not have nearly the engineering or scientific know how of the Majors. I can almost bet they purchase their base stock from the majors. ZP may be a a great additive for cam wear. The Additive packages in all oils are there to prevent wear which would not place Redline ahead or behind anyone else. Going further, from Redline's FAQ.

WILL USING RED LINE PRODUCTS VOID MY VEHICLE'S FACTORY WARRANTY? Using the appropriate Red Line product shouldn't invalidate your vehicle's warranty and question the mechanic or service manager that says so.

Redline is not an engineering and scientific based oil company but a pass-through entity and anything they claim should be taken with caution.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I have sent both Toyota OEM 0W-20 and Red Line 0W-20 to Blackstone and Redline did quite a bit better on wear metals at 12k miles. It even had acceptable levels of TAN for another 2k miles more. Most importantly, how other oils lost viscosity over time the Red line did not but was a tiny bit thicker.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Neat! I'm sure the BITOG boys are having a field day. I'm running low on the $0.80/qt blowout Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I got, so it's nice to see I'll probably have a nice supply of even better oil when I have to bite down and pay actual prices for the stuff.