2019 Toyota Avalon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 22, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The all-new flagship is smarter, safer, and more efficient than ever before.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 15, 2018

[​IMG]

Detroit – Toyota introduced their all-new 5th gen 2019 Avalon built on the cost saving Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform across four trims levels – XSE, Touring, XLE and Limited with the Hybrid available in XLE, Limited, and XSE trims at this year’s North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). The std. Avalon will be powered by the brands not so efficient 3.5L V6 while the hybrid will be powered by the world class 2.5L I4 Toyota Hybrid System (THS II) drivetrain that should provide the most efficient full-sized car in the industry.

The TNGA based 2019 Avalon is longer, lower, and wider. Like the Camry, the Avalon’s height has lowered by 1 in. to 56.5 in., the aluminum hood (down by 1.2 in.), and rear deck (down by 0.8 in). The front and rear overhangs have been decreased by 0.4 in. and 1.0 in., respectively. It is wider by 0.4 in./1.5 in front and rear respectively and its wheelbase is up by 2.0 in.

2019 Toyota Avalon Exterior Design

Up front, the Avalon is anchored by a vertical 9-bar open mouthed grille and even slimmer headlamps following Toyota’s latest design direction. A dark gray front grille with chrome border and machined-silver LED headlight bezels are part of the XLE and Limited trims. The XSE and Touring includes a piano black mesh grille and black headlamp bezels.

The XLE and XSEs optional LED Vision Tech headlamps utilize a cluster of three reflectors for the DRLs. The Limited and Touring incorporate thin lighting modules – one for low beam, another for high – plus, an Adaptive LED Cornering lamp and a Dynamic Auxiliary Turn Signal adding 60 percent more foreground width to the low beam’s pattern. The IIHS’ new headlamp testing for its Top Safety Pick+ rating was surely the impetus for the high-end headlamps inclusion.

Moving to the profile, the Avalon’s character line now runs through the front door handles while a lower rocker panel cutout upsweep provides symmetry as it mirrors the character lines fall off through the rear door. It can be purchased with 17” to 19” wheels depending trim. Gloss Black wheels and black outer mirror housings on the XSE and Touring trims.

Out back, the Avalon badge is integrated into a full width tail lamp and the lower rear diffuser upsweep area has been expanded significantly. The 3.5L includes quad chrome exhaust tips. Why are there four tailpipes anyway???

With the new shapes and almost full underbody panel the all-new Avalon’s Cd has fallen by .01 to 0.27.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Interior Design

Soft-touch materials throughout the cabin are accentuated by a piano black center console. A 9-inch display Satin with chrome-surround integrates the auto climate. Fortunately, there are thin control switches to manually control the system below the screen.

A three-spoke wheel with satin chrome accents around multifunction controls while a 7-inch Drivers Display shows turn-by-turn navigation, and various vehicle settings. Limited and Touring’s include a 10-inch Head-Up Display (HUD).

Faux wood trim inserts are found on XLE, while Limited features real wood. Aluminum adorns the Touring and XSE. Perforated Ultrasuede wraps all seating in Touring and XSE while Softex is std. in the XLE receive artistic vertical stitching. The Limited adds a quilt pattern, special perforation, and two-color stitches.

A slide-open eBin containing a 12-volt plug and a standard wireless Qi mobile device charger. A trio of USB ports (3 up front, 2 out back) are located inside the center console. A part cup-holder, part phone cradle located atop the front console, sits adjacent to the gear selector; supple padding lines either side of the console’s lower tunnel at knee height.

Moving to the rear, a rear cup and device holder, also accented in piano black and satin chrome-finish, folds up and down in the armrest between rear seat passengers. Within the rear seat passengers arm reach are the air vents, controls for the “available” seat warmers, and USB charging port(s) plural. Optional rear seat heaters are for vehicles like the Hyundai Elantra, not the Toyota Avalon. Rear seat passengers appear on paper to inherit even more comfort with shoulder room of 57.1 in., up 0.1 in., leg space at 40.3 in. for V6; 40.4 in. for Hybrid, up more than 1 inch. Headroom is down by almost an inch at 37.5 in. for V6 and 37.1 in. for Hybrid.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Drivetrain

I am going to focus on the Hybrid because imho, the 3.5L mated to the 8-speed AT is an antiquated also ran and anyone choosing that is in no uncertain terms, not thinking about anyone but themselves including draining their wallet even faster.

The 40+ thermodynamically efficient 2.5L I4 and Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) with 650-volt electric motor (A25A-FXS) and Continuously-Variable Transmission (CVT) from the all-new Camry Hybrid will surely be a full-sized car efficiency standout.

Dual VVT-i with VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing intelligent system by Electric motor); D-4S (Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine Superior version) direct injection and laser-clad valve seats; longer stroke (4.07 inches; bore remains at 3.44 inches) and high compression ratio (14:1); multi-hole direct fuel injectors; a variable cooling system; cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system; and a full variable oil pump.

Like the 2018 Camry Hybrid, the 2019 Avalon's Li-Ion battery pack is located under the rear seat.

2019 Toyota Avalon Infotainment

A 1,200 W JBL audio system is standard on Limited and Touring while the XLE and XSE receive a standard 8-speaker system having Entune 3.0 Instead of Android Auto with Google Maps, Toyota continues to rely on this Navigation Scout GPS Link App. WTF??? It does now include Apple CarPlay standard on all trims but this addition is a POS by comparison. :(

A Verizon Wi-Fi trial with up to 2GB within 6 months and Entune 3.0 App Suite is subscription-free.

The 21019 Avalon will be the first Toyota to integrate a smartwatch or Amazon Alexa connectivity with Toyota Remote Connect. It will allow owners to lock/unlock their doors, start their engine, or check their fuel level, all from their smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device.

2019 Toyota Avalon Chassis

The Touring trims standard Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) provides real-time damping control.

Levels of AVS’ damping force are continuously variable, with a maximum of 650 steps with Normal mode maximizing comfort, Sport+ handling.

The new multi-link rear suspension includes a wider rear track and lower center of gravity. Revised trailing arms have been installed at a higher position to place the pivot axis of the tire rearward for better bump absorption. Aka Mazda6 rom a few years back anyone? The setup’s shock absorbers are tilted forward, too, to realize a suppler ride. Bushings on the trailing arms and arm joints further mask passing road imperfections.

2019 Toyota Avalon Safety

Avalon’s standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) bundles Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA); and Automatic High Beams (AHB). Additional standard safety technology includes Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Back Guide Monitor (BGM). Finally, a full package with the front, sides and rear somewhat protected vs. the Hodge podge that most including Toyota has offered in packages in the past.

All 2019 Avalon’s have 10-standard airbags, Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Early Conclusions

Does it look more modern inside and out? You bet. Does it look more modern? Yes indeed with a caveat. The Mesh grille (shown above beside the vertical bar grille) sure is polarizing and will limit sales. Does it handle better? Surely it will. And with the Camry Hybrid system, it is bound to be much more efficient!

Pricing will probably be steep, and the Avalon has never attracted the younger less affluent buyer. This will limit is appeal but that does not mean it will not be an excellent vehicle for those that can afford it. The hybrid that is. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

The current gen doesn't have foldable rear seats and interior felt bit cramped (low roofline). Not sure if they fixed that?
    I think Accord is also classified as full size now. Felt to me bigger than the Avalon for last gen.

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi Luke:

The current gen is not a full sized but with the increase in wheelbase, I am guessing the all-new 5th gen will. Toyota has not released the Avalon specs yet however. The all-new 10th gen Accord and past and current gen Sonata are all full sized.

2018 Accord

105.6 cu ft
    16.7 cu ft

2018 Sonata

106.1 cu ft
    16.3 cu ft

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne for the comparison. I'd think the upcoming Accord Hybrid is likely to be more efficient than the Avalon. Current Avalon Hybrid lost a lot of mpg compared to the Camry (-20%). Maybe they found a way to get it closer to Camry hybrid.

I test drove current gen Avalon and seems more like a Camry plus model. Camry is not that much smaller anymore but price gap is big. The interior quality is also at Toyota levels and not quite Lexus or Acura. Also the new interior center stack reminds me lot of Prius which isn't helping the higher pricing. But seeing it in person I might change my mind.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

I agree with you on that Camry comparison.

The Avalon seems overpriced as a new car, especially in comparison to the Camry, but I've seen people snatch them up as used vehicles. The same goes for a lot of the luxury vehicles and SUVs. Maybe the owners aren't that poor after all, or get good deals on the used cars. However, they're saddled with huge expenses in gasoline and maintenance, though probably not so much on the Avalon.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yeah , but the Avalon is SO pretty ! If the EPA numbers for the new Hybrid are similar to the Camry , that would be a superb highway cruiser.

BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Was that tongue in cheek or serious?

I have to say I'm not keen on the character lines on the side slab. I think Toyota's trying too hard, at what I don't know. Are they trying to sell to the generation that doesn't want to own cars and would prefer living in the city?

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Bill:

It appears to me a mashup of Japanese Anime, US practicality, and European 0-radius feature and character lines on the hood and profile. The mesh grille is what is so polarizing to me. I do not see 60+ somethings buying that nor do I see 30+ somethings buying it either? Sales will tell the story of acceptance and Toyota is beginning to run into some serous headwinds on the Lexus side with their grille/overall design. I am worried Toyota will be running into same problem if these design ideas continue to brought to the public. I am sure blind study after study are being conducted with positive results but the new design(s) are not growing on me when I see them on the road.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I may have been thinking of the current generation Avalon.

10. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Article was posted today about 'Lexus exec says he still field complaints about the spindle grille'. Explanation was that mostly current owners don't like it and they hope they have a net gain with new owners. Seems what he's really saying younger people like but older don't since that was the intent of this aggressive design. Maybe we're all getting old:).

I like the current Avalon exterior design. New one is a bit non-distinct except for that grille. I think interior is even less exciting but maybe they went that route for 'younger' buyers.