2019 Toyota Avalon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 22, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The all-new flagship is smarter, safer, and more efficient than ever before.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 15, 2018

[​IMG]

Detroit – Toyota introduced their all-new 5th gen 2019 Avalon built on the cost saving Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform across four trims levels – XSE, Touring, XLE and Limited with the Hybrid available in XLE, Limited, and XSE trims at this year’s North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). The std. Avalon will be powered by the brands not so efficient 3.5L V6 while the hybrid will be powered by the world class 2.5L I4 Toyota Hybrid System (THS II) drivetrain that should provide the most efficient full-sized car in the industry.

The TNGA based 2019 Avalon is longer, lower, and wider. Like the Camry, the Avalon’s height has lowered by 1 in. to 56.5 in., the aluminum hood (down by 1.2 in.), and rear deck (down by 0.8 in). The front and rear overhangs have been decreased by 0.4 in. and 1.0 in., respectively. It is wider by 0.4 in./1.5 in front and rear respectively and its wheelbase is up by 2.0 in.

2019 Toyota Avalon Exterior Design

Up front, the Avalon is anchored by a vertical 9-bar open mouthed grille and even slimmer headlamps following Toyota’s latest design direction. A dark gray front grille with chrome border and machined-silver LED headlight bezels are part of the XLE and Limited trims. The XSE and Touring includes a piano black mesh grille and black headlamp bezels.

The XLE and XSEs optional LED Vision Tech headlamps utilize a cluster of three reflectors for the DRLs. The Limited and Touring incorporate thin lighting modules – one for low beam, another for high – plus, an Adaptive LED Cornering lamp and a Dynamic Auxiliary Turn Signal adding 60 percent more foreground width to the low beam’s pattern. The IIHS’ new headlamp testing for its Top Safety Pick+ rating was surely the impetus for the high-end headlamps inclusion.

Moving to the profile, the Avalon’s character line now runs through the front door handles while a lower rocker panel cutout upsweep provides symmetry as it mirrors the character lines fall off through the rear door. It can be purchased with 17” to 19” wheels depending trim. Gloss Black wheels and black outer mirror housings on the XSE and Touring trims.

Out back, the Avalon badge is integrated into a full width tail lamp and the lower rear diffuser upsweep area has been expanded significantly. The 3.5L includes quad chrome exhaust tips. Why are there four tailpipes anyway???

With the new shapes and almost full underbody panel the all-new Avalon’s Cd has fallen by .01 to 0.27.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Interior Design

Soft-touch materials throughout the cabin are accentuated by a piano black center console. A 9-inch display Satin with chrome-surround integrates the auto climate. Fortunately, there are thin control switches to manually control the system below the screen.

A three-spoke wheel with satin chrome accents around multifunction controls while a 7-inch Drivers Display shows turn-by-turn navigation, and various vehicle settings. Limited and Touring’s include a 10-inch Head-Up Display (HUD).

Faux wood trim inserts are found on XLE, while Limited features real wood. Aluminum adorns the Touring and XSE. Perforated Ultrasuede wraps all seating in Touring and XSE while Softex is std. in the XLE receive artistic vertical stitching. The Limited adds a quilt pattern, special perforation, and two-color stitches.

A slide-open eBin containing a 12-volt plug and a standard wireless Qi mobile device charger. A trio of USB ports (3 up front, 2 out back) are located inside the center console. A part cup-holder, part phone cradle located atop the front console, sits adjacent to the gear selector; supple padding lines either side of the console’s lower tunnel at knee height.

Moving to the rear, a rear cup and device holder, also accented in piano black and satin chrome-finish, folds up and down in the armrest between rear seat passengers. Within the rear seat passengers arm reach are the air vents, controls for the “available” seat warmers, and USB charging port(s) plural. Optional rear seat heaters are for vehicles like the Hyundai Elantra, not the Toyota Avalon. Rear seat passengers appear on paper to inherit even more comfort with shoulder room of 57.1 in., up 0.1 in., leg space at 40.3 in. for V6; 40.4 in. for Hybrid, up more than 1 inch. Headroom is down by almost an inch at 37.5 in. for V6 and 37.1 in. for Hybrid.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Drivetrain

I am going to focus on the Hybrid because imho, the 3.5L mated to the 8-speed AT is an antiquated also ran and anyone choosing that is in no uncertain terms, not thinking about anyone but themselves including draining their wallet even faster.

The 40+ thermodynamically efficient 2.5L I4 and Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) with 650-volt electric motor (A25A-FXS) and Continuously-Variable Transmission (CVT) from the all-new Camry Hybrid will surely be a full-sized car efficiency standout.

Dual VVT-i with VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing intelligent system by Electric motor); D-4S (Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine Superior version) direct injection and laser-clad valve seats; longer stroke (4.07 inches; bore remains at 3.44 inches) and high compression ratio (14:1); multi-hole direct fuel injectors; a variable cooling system; cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system; and a full variable oil pump.

Like the 2018 Camry Hybrid, the 2019 Avalon's Li-Ion battery pack is located under the rear seat.

2019 Toyota Avalon Infotainment

A 1,200 W JBL audio system is standard on Limited and Touring while the XLE and XSE receive a standard 8-speaker system having Entune 3.0 Instead of Android Auto with Google Maps, Toyota continues to rely on this Navigation Scout GPS Link App. WTF??? It does now include Apple CarPlay standard on all trims but this addition is a POS by comparison. :(

A Verizon Wi-Fi trial with up to 2GB within 6 months and Entune 3.0 App Suite is subscription-free.

The 21019 Avalon will be the first Toyota to integrate a smartwatch or Amazon Alexa connectivity with Toyota Remote Connect. It will allow owners to lock/unlock their doors, start their engine, or check their fuel level, all from their smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device.

2019 Toyota Avalon Chassis

The Touring trims standard Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) provides real-time damping control.

Levels of AVS’ damping force are continuously variable, with a maximum of 650 steps with Normal mode maximizing comfort, Sport+ handling.

The new multi-link rear suspension includes a wider rear track and lower center of gravity. Revised trailing arms have been installed at a higher position to place the pivot axis of the tire rearward for better bump absorption. Aka Mazda6 rom a few years back anyone? The setup’s shock absorbers are tilted forward, too, to realize a suppler ride. Bushings on the trailing arms and arm joints further mask passing road imperfections.

2019 Toyota Avalon Safety

Avalon’s standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) bundles Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA); and Automatic High Beams (AHB). Additional standard safety technology includes Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Back Guide Monitor (BGM). Finally, a full package with the front, sides and rear somewhat protected vs. the Hodge podge that most including Toyota has offered in packages in the past.

All 2019 Avalon’s have 10-standard airbags, Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology.

[​IMG]

2019 Toyota Avalon Early Conclusions

Does it look more modern inside and out? You bet. Does it look more modern? Yes indeed with a caveat. The Mesh grille (shown above beside the vertical bar grille) sure is polarizing and will limit sales. Does it handle better? Surely it will. And with the Camry Hybrid system, it is bound to be much more efficient!

Pricing will probably be steep, and the Avalon has never attracted the younger less affluent buyer. This will limit is appeal but that does not mean it will not be an excellent vehicle for those that can afford it. The hybrid that is. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

The current gen doesn't have foldable rear seats and interior felt bit cramped (low roofline). Not sure if they fixed that?
    I think Accord is also classified as full size now. Felt to me bigger than the Avalon for last gen.

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi Luke:

The current gen is not a full sized but with the increase in wheelbase, I am guessing the all-new 5th gen will. Toyota has not released the Avalon specs yet however. The all-new 10th gen Accord and past and current gen Sonata are all full sized.

2018 Accord

105.6 cu ft
    16.7 cu ft

2018 Sonata

106.1 cu ft
    16.3 cu ft

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne for the comparison. I'd think the upcoming Accord Hybrid is likely to be more efficient than the Avalon. Current Avalon Hybrid lost a lot of mpg compared to the Camry (-20%). Maybe they found a way to get it closer to Camry hybrid.

I test drove current gen Avalon and seems more like a Camry plus model. Camry is not that much smaller anymore but price gap is big. The interior quality is also at Toyota levels and not quite Lexus or Acura. Also the new interior center stack reminds me lot of Prius which isn't helping the higher pricing. But seeing it in person I might change my mind.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I agree with you on that Camry comparison.

The Avalon seems overpriced as a new car, especially in comparison to the Camry, but I've seen people snatch them up as used vehicles. The same goes for a lot of the luxury vehicles and SUVs. Maybe the owners aren't that poor after all, or get good deals on the used cars. However, they're saddled with huge expenses in gasoline and maintenance, though probably not so much on the Avalon.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yeah , but the Avalon is SO pretty ! If the EPA numbers for the new Hybrid are similar to the Camry , that would be a superb highway cruiser.

BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

Was that tongue in cheek or serious?

I have to say I'm not keen on the character lines on the side slab. I think Toyota's trying too hard, at what I don't know. Are they trying to sell to the generation that doesn't want to own cars and would prefer living in the city?

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Bill:

It appears to me a mashup of Japanese Anime, US practicality, and European 0-radius feature and character lines on the hood and profile. The mesh grille is what is so polarizing to me. I do not see 60+ somethings buying that nor do I see 30+ somethings buying it either? Sales will tell the story of acceptance and Toyota is beginning to run into some serous headwinds on the Lexus side with their grille/overall design. I am worried Toyota will be running into same problem if these design ideas continue to brought to the public. I am sure blind study after study are being conducted with positive results but the new design(s) are not growing on me when I see them on the road.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I may have been thinking of the current generation Avalon.

10. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Article was posted today about 'Lexus exec says he still field complaints about the spindle grille'. Explanation was that mostly current owners don't like it and they hope they have a net gain with new owners. Seems what he's really saying younger people like but older don't since that was the intent of this aggressive design. Maybe we're all getting old:).

I like the current Avalon exterior design. New one is a bit non-distinct except for that grille. I think interior is even less exciting but maybe they went that route for 'younger' buyers.

11. xcel

Hi All:

I was invited to the short lead on this one in mid April. I cannot wait to drive the new 2.5L in both std. and hybrid forms as I was pretty stoked when driving the same in the all-new Camry.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I kinda liked the Avalon for it's rather American, conservative approach to a large car. But that big grille just doesn't work for me, and they're trying to cast it as a needlessly racy car. Keep some of the character lines along the side, but tone down the raucousness, add back a bit of chrome or other upscale features. Large sedans aren't poised to catch many youthful buyers, anyway.

The interior kinda works for me though. It's clean and though a bit techy for my taste, isn't without some warmth. It looks straightforward and doesn't have too many angles going on. If the materials are nice, I think it could be this car's best feature.

13. xcel

Hi All:

There is a unique to the world vehicle being brought to the Avalon short lead. I cannot say what it is yet but it is production ready and heading to our shores. Pretty exciting actually. The embargo ends on Monday April 30th, 2018.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi All:

Here is that secret car's details from the NYIAS this morning.

Corolla Hatch is Back! All-New 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback at the 2018 NYIAS
    • New TNGA 2.0L I4, Six-Speed iMT Manual Transmission, and Dynamic-Shift CVT Offering More Power and MPG
    • New TNGA Platform with Sport-Tuned Suspension
    • Standard Entune 3.0 Audio with 8-inch Touchscreen, Wi-Fi Connect, Amazon Alexa Integration, and Apple CarPlay
    • First North American Application of Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
    • On Sale in Summer 2018

[​IMG]

For the first time in North America, Toyota’s newest and most technologically-advanced small car, the all-new 2019 Corolla Hatchback, made its debut at the New York International Auto Show.

The hatch, in either SE or XSE grades includes Entune 3.0 with Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa Connectivity; a revised sport-tuned suspension and new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform; and the first North American application of Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. Still no Android auto however. :(

2019 Corolla Hatch Design

Corolla Hatch is lower (by 1.0 in.), wider (by 1.2 in.), and longer (by 1.5 in.) than its predecessor, the iM. It also has wider front and rear tracks, and a longer wheelbase.

Its hood sits two inches lower than before, affording passengers excellent forward visibility. The new frontal styling with a rounded nose and trapezoidal-shaped under grille is a further evolution of Toyota’s Under Priority Catamaran and Keen Look design philosophies.

Slim, J-shaped Bi-Beam LED headlamps wrap deep into the front fenders and accent the front in both stylishness and precise illumination. Front overhang has been cut by 0.8 inches; at the rear, it’s 0.8 inches longer. Chiseled character lines at its profile link both ends’ protruding flanks making for an active, well-planted expression that is uncommon amongst its peers. Wheel sizes range from 16-inches to 18-inches in diameter.

Its hatch – now made from TSOP (Toyota Super Olefin Polymer) and ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) – is not only lightweight to aid fuel efficiency, it is set at a steeper angle (moved 14 degrees forward) for that ultimate sporty look. The rear all-LED taillamps feature a diffusing inner lens designed to highlight the hatchback’s stout stance.

Both the SE and XSE trims include the aforementioned LED headlamps and taillights, chrome rear diffuser, and alloy wheels. The XSE ups the ante with 18-inch wheels, LED fog lights, chrome front grille surround, and an available innovative Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). AFS – available only on XSE CVT – allows for the focused distribution of light in an area that matches the vehicle’s speed and steering angle. The Bi-Beam LED units move vertically and horizontally to provide optimal light output by analyzing steering angle, vehicle speed, and the vehicle’s longitudinal axes angle to adjust lamps.

Corolla Hatchback’s color range includes the new-for-2019 color Rival Blue, as well as Blizzard Pearl, Silver Metallic, Midnight Black, Galactic Aqua Mica, Scarlet, and Oxide Bronze.

2019 Corolla Hatch Prelim Exterior Dimensions (vs. MY2018)

Wheelbase 103.9 in. (102.4) [+1.5 in.]
    Overall Length 172.0 in. (170.5) [+1.5 in.]
    Overall Width 70.5 in. (69.3) [+1.2 in.]
    Overall Height 56.6 in. (57.5) [-1.0 in.]

2019 Corolla Hatch Interior

New sport seats, instrument panel, and 0.9-inch thinner upper surface and 1.7-inch wider center console divide passengers.

At the center of the instrument panel resides a standard high-resolution 8" multimedia touchscreen. The center stack screen provides access to vehicle settings, audio controls, navigation, smartphone, and Entune 3.0 apps. Climate controls, located below the multimedia portal, are fashioned in a bright, highly visible digitized configuration.

The center console is also longer to accommodate a larger variety of passenger physiques and comfort preferences. It incorporates a center tray ahead of the gearshift that can hold small items such as a smartphone or wallet, or if outfitted, serves as the Qi wireless device charging area. A 5.5-inch smartphone can easily fit inside the center console box.

High-gloss materials are paired with matte elements – silver accents with Piano Black and available contrasting stitching. The elimination of unnecessary lettering on switchgear, plus, the unification of all materials’ and elements’ shape, color, grain, and gloss, maximize continuity and aesthetic cleanliness. Tactility, too, is minded with the utmost consideration. Keen eyes will appreciate the minimized gaps between buttons and switches; again, furthering Corolla Hatchback’s sophisticated character.

Front passengers’ hip points are lower (to 10.82 inches) <-- I am worried about this as it is not comfortable to me, and cushioning has been revised, which provides a more natural body posture and position for ideal access to the multifunction steering wheel, pedals, and gearshift. Such optimized seating allows passengers to enjoy Corolla Hatchback’s thrilling dynamics all the better. Front door storage solutions include cup holders capable of accommodating 24-ounce bottles and A4-sized documents. Not to be outdone, rear seats utilize updated cushioning to improve comfort and minimize fatigue. Furthering their convenience are upper door cup holders that accommodate 16-ounce bottles.

The standard amenity list is as impressive as the cabin’s aesthetic. SE grade is equipped with single-zone automatic climate control, leather shift knob, and paddle shifters located behind the steering wheel. An electronic parking brake, three-door SmartKey system, automatic up/down windows, and two front USB outlets are standard as well.

XSE grade builds on SE’s amenity palette by including dual-zone climate control, combination leather (leather with mélange-like fabric) seating, heated front seats, and eight-way power driver’s seat. XSE’s instrument panel and doors receive unique stitching, and behind the multifunction steering wheel, a 7-inch TFT Multi-Information Display (MID) shows vehicle information, turn-by-turn navigation, and various vehicle settings (including those pertaining to Lane Departure Alert, Lane Tracing Assist, Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection and Blind Spot Monitor).

While electrifying in functionality and personality, Corolla Hatchback delivers a civilized, quiet ride. Powertrain drone and road noise have been culled thanks to revised drivetrain efficiencies, plus, the widespread implementation of sound-absorbing materials, sealants, foams, resonator ribs, and silencers. Its TNGA structure utilizes additional seals in its body panel gaps to insulate noise penetration and enhance air sealing performance. Corolla Hatchback’s Aero Stabilizing Fins located on its taillights also combat wind drone.

2019 Corolla Hatch Infotainment

For SE, standard Entune 3.0 Audio includes an 8-in. touchscreen; six speakers; Apple CarPlay; Amazon Alexa integration; Entune 3.0 App Suite Connect; Safety Connect; Wi-Fi Connect; Scout GPS Link Compatible <-- Not well received ... :( ; Siri Eyes Free; Auxiliary audio jack and USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control; AM/FM; MP3/WMA playback capability; Voice Recognition training and tutorials; Hands-free phone capability; voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth; Customizable Home Screen; and Weather/Traffic info via Entune 3.0 App Suite.

Entune 3.0 Audio Plus is standard on XSE and optional on SE CVT adds HD Radio and Weather/Traffic info; SiriusXM with Cache Radio; Entune 3.0 Connected Services; Service Connect; Remote Connect. Topping the range is Entune 3.0 Audio Premium that’s optional on XSE CVT. The system includes a JBL 8-speaker 800-watt system with Clari-Fi; Dynamic Voice Recognition; Dynamic Navigation; Dynamic POI Search; and Destination Assist Connect.

The JBL audio experience with Clari-Fi – having such a complete orchestration of advanced power output, hardware, structure, and software – is engineered to impress even the most perceptive audiophile.

Other JBL audio system highlights include:
    • Free Standing Horn Tweeters
      • Located in the A-pillar at ear level for optimal high-frequency performance
    • Next-Generation HID8 Amplifier
      • 800-watts of total power, with better performance and efficiency
    • 6.7-inch Door Subwoofers
      • More powerful deep-bass response
    • Premium JBL Branding
      • Located on A-pillar, door trim, and head unit
    • Sealed Inner Door Panels
      • Promote cleaner, more power bass
    • Wide Dispersion Midrange Speakers
      • Provide full range sound for rear passengers
    • Clari-Fi Technology
      • Analyzes, rebuilds, and restores audio signals that were lost In the digital compression process
    Rounding off Corolla Hatchback’s connectivity are two USB terminals (located inside the center console and instrument panel) and one AUX port (located on the instrument panel).

A Driver’s Hatchback

Corolla Hatch begins with its TNGA C platform. The compact structure employs a mixture of adhesives, spot welding, and additional bracing – top to bottom, side to side – for the benefits of driver controllability and low fuel consumption. On-road feel and fuel efficiency is further refined through the extensive use of aluminum and high- and ultra-high tensile steel in the lighter-weight chassis and body. In fact, torsional rigidity is improved a massive 60 percent compared to its predecessor.

Affixed to this musculature are revised front and rear suspensions. Its front MacPherson strut setup’s geometry is changed (i.e. updated bound stopper clearance; stabilizer location) and incorporates other key augmentations like revised coil spring rate and damping force, and reduced friction in sliding parts. This all makes for a high-quality steering feel, ride comfort, and handling stability.

At the Corolla Hatchback’s rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar, responsiveness is sharpened through updated shock absorbers and springs, and like the front, geometry is slightly modified. Lower arm locations have moved (for improved toe-in angle during higher-speed maneuvering), as has shock absorber placement (moved forward for better cargo capacity and reduced longitudinal low frequency input). Overall, front and rear suspension friction has been reduced by 40 percent, and its center of gravity is cut by a substantial 0.8 inches.

2019 Corolla Hatch Drivetrain

An all-new TNGA-based powertrain with a direct-injected 2.0L I4 (M20A-FKS) is smaller and lighter than its 1.8L I4 predecessor, which helps to lower Corolla Hatchback’s center of gravity. The 2.0-liter is also quieter for improved Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) with additions like a more rigid crank case with integrated stiffener; a lighter resin cylinder head; and a ribbed oil pan.

The M20A-FKS is equipped with Toyota’s latest D-4S fuel-injection that uses high-pressure direct-injection and low-pressure PFI (Port Fuel Injection). The setup adapts its injection method based on driving conditions so that ideal combustion is executed. The engine also features Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligence), with VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing-intelligence by Electric motor) on the intake side and VVT-i on the exhaust. VVT-iE uses one electric motor instead of oil pressure to control the variable valve timing. Together, the valve timing systems enhance power output and fuel mileage, and cut harmful emissions.

Other notable improvements to the Dynamic-Force engine include:
    • Longer stroke
    • Compression up to 13:1
    • Enlarged valve nip angle
    • Enhanced intake port efficiency with laser clad valve seat
      • Key Benefits:
        • Higher rate of combustion, high tumble flow, and high intake air flow volume
    • Pistons with round top surface and slanted side wall
      • Key Benefits:
        • Consistent tumble flow and rapid combustion maintained
        • Less knocking and higher compression ratio
        • Friction reduction between piston skirt and cylinder
    • Lubrication enhanced with three oil jets dedicated to each cylinder
      • Key Benefits:
        • Better MPG, dynamic performance, less knocking, and less oil consumption
    • Lighter weight timing chain
      • Key Benefits:
        • Low cabin noise and reduced friction
    • Drain path within crank case to return oil from cylinder head to oil pan
      • Key Benefits:
        • Less oil agitation caused by the crankshaft, which means less rotation resistance
    • Connecting Rod made of high strength steel with optimized shape
      • Key Benefits:
        • Reduction in weight
    • Camshaft with concave profile
      • Key Benefits:
        • Increased valve lift amount
    • Optimized water jacket in head and block
      • Key Benefits:
        • Enhanced cooling and reliability
    The bolded pieces should above improve thermodynamic efficiency significantly!

2019 Corolla Hatch Prelim Specs

M20A-FKS
    I4 w/ 16-valve DOHC, chain drive with Dual VVT-i (Intake: VVT-iE, Exhaust: VVT-i)
    Bore x Stroke (mm) 80.5 x 97.6
    Displacement (cc) 1987
    Compression Ratio 13.0:1
    Fuel System Direct Injection, Port Injection
    Horsepower and Torque TBD

Corolla Hatch uses either an all-new Dynamic-Shift CVT (K120), or a six-speed iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) gearbox (EG60). The Dynamic-Shift CVT has simulated 10-speed Sequential Shiftmatic steps, Sport Mode, and paddle shifters. It features a number of innovative elements, including the world’s first launch gear in a passenger vehicle CVT.

The transmission system utilizes gear drive when starting from a full stop, resulting in powerful acceleration, while at the same time, resolving the momentary sluggish feeling that was previously present during accelerator operation. Both smooth and comfortable launch performance are realized. When switching from gear drive to belt drive, the transmission system uses highly responsive gear change control technologies cultivated from automatic transmission technology.

With its launch gear in place, the belt has been tuned for higher gear ratios. This new setup not only improves the efficiency of belt operation, but it also enables the adoption of wider gear ranges, whereby realizing a class-leading gear ratio range of 7.5 for the 2.0L class.

Another benefit of the launch gear is a reduced input load. This enables the size of both belt and pulley components to be reduced. Furthermore, the belt angle has been narrowed and pulley diameters reduced, resulting in shifting speeds that are 20 percent faster. Powerful and predictable acceleration is realized, as is an endearing driving experience.

An all-new six-speed iMT with downshift rev-matching control. The new gearbox is lighter (by 15 pounds; total weight of 88 pounds) and shorter (by 0.94 inches), making it one of the world’s smallest transmissions. Its small size contributes to improved fuel efficiency.

The gearbox also offers world-leading transmission efficiency, while the use of iMT controls, which automatically adjust engine revolutions when changing gears, ensures smooth gear shifting?free of uncomfortable recoils?for the driver.

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatch Safety

The all-new Corolla Hatch provides drivers and passengers with standard safety technologies that take one step closer to achieving the ultimate goal of zero casualties from traffic accidents.

Corolla Hatch comes standard with TSS 2.0, the second generation of Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). The updated safety package adds new active-safety technologies and capabilities that enhance protection.

Breakdowns of each technology are as follows:
    • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD):
      • Capability to detect a preceding vehicle or pedestrian in daytime or nighttime (nighttime is new), or daytime bicyclist (new), and alert the driver (audible and visual warnings) and/or apply brakes to help mitigate or avoid the collision in certain cases (using Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Brake Assist (BA), and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)).
    • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Full-Speed DRCC):
      • For highways/freeways only. Full-Speed Range DRCC is standard on all Corolla Hatchback models, except those equipped with a manual transmission. Those having a manual transmission are equipped with DRCC. Full-Speed Range DRCC is an adaptive cruise control that is designed to function at speeds between 0 to 110 mph and enables low-speed speed matching, stopping, and acceleration/deceleration relative to a preceding vehicle traveling at a slower speed. Speed, cut-in, and distance control enhanced, as well as Turn Signal Linked control added, for a more natural response.
    • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA):
      • Newly added to LDA w/SA is the capability, under some circumstances, to detect the road’s edge, in addition to the pre-existing capability to detect visible lane markers and the vehicle’s position in the lane. If unintentional lane deviation is detected, the system alerts the driver with audible and visual warnings. Steering Assist provides small corrective steering inputs momentarily to help the driver prevent the vehicle from unintentionally leaving its lane.
    • Automatic High Beam (AHB):
      • Capability to automatically activate and deactivate high beams based on driving environment and preceding vehicle’s lights.
    • (NEW) Lane Tracing Assist (LTA):
      • For highways/freeways only and can be enabled when using DRCC – Capability to recognize white or yellow lane markings or the path of a preceding vehicle if lane markers are temporarily not available; to identify and actively track the center of the lane by providing steering assistance to the driver (hands-on, driver-assist system). Reduces driver burden and supports safe driving, especially in traffic congestion or long highway trips. The LTA system can be turned on/off.
    • (NEW) Road Sign Assist (RSA):
      • Capability to identify certain Stop, Yield, Do Not Enter and Speed Limit signs and display a warning (visual and audible alerts). Alerts vary based on sign type and are displayed on the Multi-Information Display.
    The 2019 Corolla Hatch has seven standard airbags and Toyota’s Star Safety System, which includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology. Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) is standard on XSE and available on SE. (Please note: BSM does not include Rear Cross Traffic Alert.) Corolla Hatchback also comes equipped with a standard backup camera.

Fingers crossed that the new 2.0L and efficient high torque pass through CVT will provide a competitive Corolla on the efficiency front going forward. More on this later.

BillLin likes this.
  15. BillLin

Sorry to say I was disappointed with this announcement, Wayne. I thought it was going to be something new to the Avalon! :D

I think some of the Corolla hatch news leaked...

xcel likes this.
  16. xcel

Hi Bill:

I was actually hoping the new Corolla hatch was going to include the Prius drivetrain. Maybe next time.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

From the all-new 5th gen 2019 Toyota #Avalon Presentation.

2019 Toyota Avalon XSE Hybrid

[​IMG]

The 5th gen flagship and born in America through Toyota's CALTY design studio in Michigan and is exclusively built in KY.

The 2019 is a premium midsize with 4 gasoline and 3 luxury trims... .5" Longer, wider, and shorter with shorter overhangs.

LED headlamps are the most advanced of any Toyota product.

XSE and Touring trim grilles

[​IMG]

XLE and Limited trim grilles

[​IMG]

Real wood and metal accents are available through the trim walk.

Quieter thanks to better welding, seals, and Cd of just 0.27. Passive air curtains for the front grille to the wheels.

14 speakers with 10.1" sub and horn tweeters in A-pillar, 1,200W JBL system...

[​IMG]

301 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque 3.5L V6 mated to an 8 speed AT. XSE with paddle shifters. -- No gas I4 option unfortunately as the 40 percent + thermodynamically efficient Camry 2.5L would be an easy drop in. :( -- Wayne's addition in italics.

Struts up front and Multilink out back with availability of adaptive- Touring only - rear end. Adapts as fast as 20 ms. Softens on bumpy roads and stiffens on aggressive turns. The adaptive suspension provides the best ride quality in the lineup.

215 hp 2.5L Hybrid XLE: 43/44 mpg city/highway. XSE and Limited at 43/43. 215 hp and still uses NiMH traction battery???

In depth...

103.8 cu. ft. of passenger volume - w/out sunroof - and 16.1 cu.ft. of cargo volume. Hybrid has the same passenger and cargo cap as the non-hybrid.

This just missed being an EPA rated Large car at 120 cu. ft. 90+ percent of Avalon's are sunroof equipped which drops passenger + cargo volume(s) to 118.7 cu. ft. which is still voluminous.

A floating center Stack with 9" touchscreen... Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa. No Android Auto! :(

[​IMG]

(5) 2.1A USB chargepoints, 3 up front, 2 out back. Qi charging std.on all but the base XLE.

Limited includes 8-way power adjustable, heated perforated leather seats. Limited and Touring receive 4-way lumbar.

XLE - Softex
    Limited - Leather
    XSE and Touring - Softex with suede inserts.

XSE and Touring use metal accents. Limited receives real wood.

Rear seat heat on Limited and Touring.

Entune 3.0 Plus and 7" driver display on XLE and XSE. Premium w/ Touring and Limited include embedded NAVI.

XLE and XSE 3 lamp.LED. Limited and Touring use... laser cut ...

25 degree turn, turn signal, and/or reverse and the adaptive LED cornering lamps will illuminate. Limited and Touring trims only.

Performance

TNGA with lower CG.

Intake sound generator on XSE and Touring. Adds more aggressive note while Active Noise Control reduces ambient noise.

4-modes for the Hybrid. Eco, Normal, Power, and EV.

10" HUD.

Safety: Safety Sense-P Precollision with pedestrian detection, auto braking, Auto high beams, RCTA...

Available birds eye camera on Touring and Limited...

[​IMG]

Hybrid Pricing

XLE - $36,500
    XSE - $39.000
    Limited - $42,800
    No Touring with Hybrid drivetrain.

Q&A

Avg. age is 64. Would like that down. Hybrid is lower. 58 IIRC.

Maxima is main competitor. LaCrosse and 300 are also. Trade-ins include Accord and Camry.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

" 40% thermostatically efficient" ... ? ?

How efficient can a thermostat be? Maybe "thermodynamically" instead?

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  19. xcel

Hi RedylC94:

Ever hear of auto correct? ;) I just searched all the posts above and did not see "thermostatically"???

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  20. BillLin

:D I've been called worse.