2017 Sonic Grey Pearl Honda Civic Hatchback 6MT!

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Markus, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Markus

Markus Active Member

I followed in Mike's footsteps and picked up this lightly used Honda Civic Hatchback earlier this month. Like Mike it replaced my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which was just bought back by VW. Being a Canadian car it has a 6MT with the Sport Touring trim. I've put some 205 65R15 winter tires on it to replace the 235 40R18 summer tires. They do look a bit small as you can see below. First impressions the fuel economy is very close to the TDI...maybe 5-10% shy in the city. And yes, the sonic grey pearl is really growing on me. I'm amazed at how much the colour changes in different light.
    20180120_144127.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    TheStepChild, Carcus, xcel and 2 others like this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Nice choice!! I also find that my Civic is around 10% short of the TDI overall, that's closer than I was expecting and I'm pretty happy with that. The Civic gets closer in the city, it seems to warm up and get to maximum efficiency faster than my old Golf.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Markus

Markus Active Member

Thanks Mike I apologize for hijacking your thread:).

4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

congrats. I like the color.

On city mpg with the 1.5t,.. I've discovered:

1. The highest gear it can handle is not always the best (i.e. 5th gear (with some pulse and glide, .. all in gear) in 35 mph-ish environment is better than 6th.
    2. Shift to neutral for long decelerations, but leave it in gear (utilizing idle fuel cutoff) for shorter ones
    3. I 'usually' pull away from a stop in 2nd.

- the above moved my city mpg up by 5 to 10% (40-ish to 45-ish, but that's with the sedan in a warmer environment).

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. Markus

Markus Active Member

Thanks Carcus I will try to incorporate this into my technique. I'm also at 3700' altitude. First tank 38mpg...second 42mpg all city driving. I'm finding the trip computer is quite optimistic with its fuel economy calculation.

Markus

BillLin, xcel and seftonm like this.
  6. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Yes, I found the computer is around 10% optimistic. I have not verified the odometer accuracy yet, so the computer is probably not as optimistic vs actual distance traveled. But against the odometer and litres put into the tank, the computer's consumption estimate is off by around 10% usually.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I'm sure higher fuel octane (as well as lower ethanol content) will increase mpg with the 1.5t (along with boosting available hp/tq). I suspect it will bring the computer and actual mpg more into alignment ... pretty sure mine is less than 5% discrepancy (don't have my logs available right now).

but the higher octane/ EO won't pay for itself:(

8. Markus

Markus Active Member

It's almost impossible to find E0 fuel in Alberta...unless you go with the higher octane blends.

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

E0 is hard to find period, and often now at a hefty premium. I miss the days when I'm Oklahoma, anything BUT pure gasoline was a rarity.

Anyhow, I can't fault you for the choice. Nice car. I don't think I've seen that colour yet, so I can't comment on that.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Finding E0 in Illinois is like finding Sasquatch : you don't see a lot of it.

BillLin likes this.