2019 Hyundai Veloster

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 21, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The all-new second gen 4-Door Hatch receives new sheet metal, a new interior, and the latest technology.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 15, 2018

Hyundai 2019 Veloster and Veloster Turbo reveal.​

Detroit, MI -- Hyundai revealed its all-new 2019 Veloster and Veloster Turbo at the 2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).

2019 Hyundai Veloster Design

[​IMG]

The all-new 2nd gen Veloster features an all-new but familiar design. New front LED headlamps (optional) and DRLs, a new flowing molten steel grille, functional air curtains and for the Sport, a three-dimensional grille. Available 18-inch alloys wheels highlight the profile while the rear end includes a more integrated diffuser. Optional LED taillamps, chrome exhaust tips - single outlet for the 2.0L and dual for Turbo and R-Spec, take care of the exterior.

[​IMG]

2019 Hyundai Veloster Drivetrain(s)

The Veloster’s Atkinsonized 147 hp and 132 lb.-ft. of torque 2.0L I4 offers improved efficiency. It is mated to either a six-speed MT or a 6-speed AT. Owners can switch between Normal, Sport, and Smart driver modes.

The 201 hp and 195 lb.-ft. of torque direct-injected and turbocharged 1.6L I4 provide a healthy 125.6 hp/L with an over-boost providing another 7 lb-ft of torque for a few additional seconds at WOT.

The Veloster Turbo is paired with a standard six-speed MT or a seven-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) with paddle-shifters. The turbo also adds Active Sound Design, which enhances intake and exhaust powertrain sound character inside the cabin for a more visceral driving experience. I did not hear it run but like all these sound gimmicks, I doubt any of us will enjoy this addition.

[​IMG]

The Veloster Turbo also features a quicker steering rack, different calibration, and a 24-mm front stabilizer bar to provide more feedback and control. Out back an independent multi-link design with a 19-mm stabilizer bar provides livelier ride and handling characteristics over the 2.0L. The MT with 18” alloys include Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires.

[​IMG]

2019 Hyundai Veloster Safety

The Veloster arrives with Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) standard. Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW), Rear Cross-Traffic Collison Warning (RCCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), High Beam Assist (HBA) for the LED equipped models, and Driver Attention Warning (DAW) are also available. The Turbo can be equipped with Radar Cruise Control.

All Velosters include a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), and ESC (Electronic Stability Control), 3-shweel discs, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).

2019 Hyundai Veloster Infotainment

Veloster arrives with AM/FM/MP3, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, SiriusXM, HD Radio, Aux input, and next-generation Blue Link connectivity via a 7” color LCD display.

An optional floating 8” touchscreen navi display and Infinity Clari-Fi audio with eight speakers and a sub and Qi charging and Heads-Up Display including RPM, MPH and transmission gear are also available.

Like the current Veloster, the all-new second gen will be a niche vehicle for the person looking for something completely different than the mainstream coupes and hatches available from other OEMs at a very affordable price.

[​IMG]

The all-new 2019 Veloster looks sharp, “probably drives sharp”, and will be a joy to get behind the wheel for a few hours. Whether that continues onto days, week’s months, and years remains to be seen.

BillLin likes this.
  2. IMG_20180115_122737996.jpg IMG_20180115_122737996.jpg Or, you could option your Veloster this way....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Hyundai has an, ahem, unusual lineup --lots of sedans than don't sell well and that they end up giving away at the end of the model year. They've got the Ioniq hybrids that are good values (for hybrids) and decent practical cars that are competitive with Toyota's Prii. But nobody cares because they don't want Prii either. They have this Veloster hatchback that is awfully close to the Elantra GT in purpose except that the Elantra GT has more room and looks better. The Elantra GT goes after Honda's Civic hatch but without that car's economy. They have electrics that very few in this country want and FCV's that nobody wants and they're rolling out more of them.

Hopefully their SUVs are sustaining them.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

They continue their push into the efficiency space because of the looming CAFE regs and eventually fuel prices will ... I think?

From the EPA Automotive GHG Emissions report released on the 11th, the industry experienced its first shortfall.
    Hyundai also has a smaller lineup than the industry and are short on CUVs actually. The upcoming Kona will help them fill the sub-compact space but there are so many just like it in that segment as well? IMHO where they hurt the most is showroom space. I visit a lot of Hyundai dealerships and few are large enough to hold even 5 vehicles.

Regarding pricing, it is not the end of the MY but the MY across their lineup. The Tucson is doing well but the larger Santa Fe is fading quickly.

The Veloster is that niche vehicle that someone in Korea does not want to put to bed. Dec. 2017 and Full Year sales are directly below:

Dec. 2017__Dec. 2016_% Change
    __755_______2,699___ -72.0%

__2017______ 2016___ % Change
    _12,658____ 30,053____-57.9%

2019 Hyundai Veloster - Ant-Man

[​IMG]

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

They don't have any trucks which apparently everyone wants to buy. :)

6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I see the Veloster as to Hyundai as the Soul is to Kia; something quirky to set the brand apart. It just needs gerbils to sell it.

Ioniq is still supply constrained, but it is still just a car to the buying public.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

The Veloster is a nice little car in Real Racing 3 (app). :D

xcel likes this.
  8. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Funny you should say that. The two share the same platform. The Veloster arrived for 2012 just in time for the midcycle refresh on the Soul and the two shared the same 1.6L Gamma engine and manual transmission. They differed in the automatics offered, with the Veloster going with the first-gen DCT while the Soul got the parts-bin automatic.
    For 2019, the Veloster is now a sleeker Elantra Sport - sharing the independent rearend, 201hp turbo 1.6, and the 7speed DCT is the "automatic" offering now. That powertrain is already in the Soul in the top trim version, but the Soul retains the old twistbeam out back.

I'm wondering how the ride and NVH improved in the 2019. The previous generation was definitely not tuned for silent-n-smooth.

The 2.0L Nu with the Atkinson intake cam is a welcome arrival. The 1.6L base engine was the biggest obstacle to selling the previous Veloster. Drive one and will find that it feels like you forgot to release the parking brake.

Instead of the Kia Hamsters, the Veloster can be marketed with the Hyundai Lemmings - showing how these wise and insightful Lemmings drive a Veloster instead of driving the cookie-cutter crap the magazines are pushing. For added punch, show the other Lemmings driving their lookalike lease-queens off the cliff while the Hyundai Lemmings arrive in style in their Veloster. I smell a Clio award!

9. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I actually think the Veloster is an underrated car, as sport coupes go (and despite the "4-door" label it is really a coupe: one of those doors is the hatch, so it's really a 3-door, same as the old Saturn Coupe, as most people think of it). Behind the wheel it has the same controls and drives exactly the same as every other Hyundai I've been in - which is a good thing - except with less body roll and higher cornering limits. Plus, with the hatch it easily swallows a bike in back. A couple years ago I rented one for a weeklong camping and biking trip, and I really liked it. If I were young and single, I'd have to strongly consider it, especially since it's actually cheaper and gets better mpg than the Elantra GT. I'm sure the new one will be even better.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

And it looks tres cool. Too bad you can't see out of that little gun-slit thing they call a rear window. But it DOES look cool.

They should offer it with the 1.4/DCT drivetrain from the Elantra Eco. But we know they won't.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

True, but the rear view isn't that much worse than a Prius.

12. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

I was doubting you till I compared a couple of rear views side-by-side. I guess that means the view from inside the Veloster isn't so bad, since I think the Prius rear view is fine. :) Plus the distance from driver eye to rearview mirror to the rear glass must be shorter in the Veloster so the viewing angle may be better?

veloster-rear.jpg prius-rear-1.jpg prius-rear-2.png

xcel likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's hard to be much worse than the Prius in that regard. Good thing I have two side mirrors.

14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

It looks very evolutionary, which is OK. The Veloster is a neat-looking car...