2019 RAM 1500 Mild Hybrid

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 20, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Improved in every respect, the all-new RAM provides more than the sum of its parts.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 15, 2018

[​IMG]

The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 – Pricing and EPA TBA.

Detroit, MI – From the North American Auto Show RAM introduced their all-new light duty full sized pickup. The highlights from our perspective is an efficiency boost of the 3.6L V6 and 5.7L V8 with the addition of a mild hybrid system and more aggressive atkinsonization and lighter weight promoting the same. In addition, the crew cabs rear seat not only provides best in segment rear seat leg room, the rear seat reclines. The already best in class Uconnect infotainment system has been extensively upgraded. And the very latest driver assist and safety technology is being offered.

2019 Ram 1500 Overview

The all-new Ram 1500 he chassis has reduced weight by 120 pounds – 100 pounds from the frame – providing owners with a payload and tow cap of 2,300 pounds and 12,750 pounds respectively. The 1500 frame consists of 98 percent high-strength steel with patent pending energy absorbing structures for all impact modes while the body shell incorporates 54 percent high-strength steel.

Three longer frame lengths are offered: a 144.5-inch wheelbase short bed Crew, a 153.5-inch wheelbase long bed Crew, and short bed Quad with a wheelbase of 140.5 inches.

New independent front suspension components combine lightweight composite upper control arms, aluminum lower control arms and retuned geometry for improved responsiveness and handling. The front stabilizer bar is relocated behind the front tires, improving roll stiffness by 20 percent. A new front coil-over shock design is standard equipment on all Ram 1500s regardless of configuration.

When cornering or heavy braking, the shocks bypass valve is closed for more aggressive damping, which provides additional stability. When driving normally or exposed to faster shock inputs – which is common on rough roads or at higher speeds – the valve will open to soften the damping.

Adding to the “Whooaa Nelly” factor, new 14.9” front rotors were added while a new electric parking brake eliminates 20 pounds.

The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 has dropped 225 pounds with HSS steel and lightweight aluminum while aero has been extensively reworked.

[​IMG]

A new lighter weight aluminum tailgate not is damped during opening, is lift assisted and can be dropped from inside the cab or when walking up to the truck with the proximity key in their possession.

As the 2019 Ram 1500 approaches 35 miles per hour (mph), an active front air dam extends downward 2.5 inches on non-air suspension and Rebel trucks. The optional air suspension system lowers the truck 0.6 inches. An active grille shutter automatically closes when cooling is least needed.

The elevated hood directs air away from the wipers improving aero and reduces wind noise. A new venturi roof design directs air back to the rear spoiler.

The bed rails were raised by 1.5 inches to reduce drag as does a new spoiler on the new aluminum tailgate. The bed-to-cab execution is sub-flush to reduce disturbance alongside the body. A wheel-to-wheel tubular side-step design offers aerodynamic improvements by allowing air to pass around the truck more smoothly. A segment-exclusive lockable tri-fold tonneau cover serves a dual purpose by improving fuel economy by 0.8 percent.

When everything is deployed, the Quad Cab 4x2 has a coefficient of drag of just .357.

2019 RAM 1500 Drivertrain

An all-new addition to the RAM 1500 is a mild hybrid system replacing the traditional alternator with a belt-driven motor generator. It is based off a small 48V battery pack fed from a 430 Wh NiMH pack with start/stop functionality, short-duration torque additions, and mild brake energy regeneration.

The 305 hp and 269 lb.-ft. of torque 3.6L V6 is the standard engine with variable valve timing and two-step variable valve lift. The of 395 hp and 410 lb.-ft. of torque 5.7L V8 includes both variable valve timing and 4-cylinder deactivation and a new 850W electric cooling fan. Both include Deceleration Fuel Cut Off (DFCO) is now active in third gear and higher.

Both engines are mated to an even faster shifting 8-speed AT passing through to three final drives, 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92.

[​IMG]

The 2019 Ram 1500 uses heated engine coolant to warm up the rear axle lubricant of 4x2 trucks. Heating the truck cabin always takes priority. Once heated, a valve routes coolant to the rear axle, where it circulates through a cavity in the double-layer axle cover to warm the gear oil. The warmed gear oil is less viscous and brings the axle to peak operating efficiency faster. Also, the system helps cool the rear axle during heavy towing.

New for 2019 is an on the fly 4WD electronic locking differential.

Ram’s 4x4 Off-road Package provides a one-inch suspension lift, an electronic-locking rear differential, and 32-inch on/off-road tires on 18- or available 20-inch wheels. Hill-descent Control and unique off-road-calibrated shocks bolster trail capability. The package also includes a robust skid plate protection (transfer case, steering, engine and gas tank) and tow hooks.

2019 RAM 1500 Exterior

The all-new Ram 1500 is lighter, longer and wider. Wheelbase and cab are up to four inches, width is increased by .5 inches, and bed height is up by 1.5 inches. A full-width chrome stamped-steel rear bumper anchors the rear of the truck.

The cab length has increased a total of four inches inside. B- and C-pillars moved an inch rearward, and the rear of the cab is pushed an additional two inches.

Halogen, full LED and full LED with Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) light the road ahead. Above the lamps resides a new raised aluminum hood. Out back, Halogen, LED and LED with Blind-spot Monitoring are included depending on configuration.

[​IMG]

All navigation, Wi-Fi, radio and SiriusXM tasks are handled by a new shark fin antenna and RamBox now features a 115-volt outlet and relocated overhead lighting in the box lids to improve illumination.

2019 RAM 1500 Interior

An active noise cancellation system on 5.7L V8s create the quietest Ram 1500 ever and the all-new panoramic roof will let the sun shine in.

All 2019 Ram 1500s include push-button start, an electronic parking brake and a redesigned rotary e-shifter dial.

The new HVAC system adds almost 25 percent more air flow at lower noise levels. Improved rear vents provide 50 percent more airflow.

The center console provides 12 different storage combinations. A three-position sliding cup holder tray can be stowed under the center armrest to reveal a deep storage tub designed to hold a 15-inch laptop. At the rear of the console, there are two additional cup holders, which include a tablet holder for rear passengers.

Optionally the 2019 RAM 1500 can be equipped with 2 three-pronged 115V outlets in the first and second rows (one in the center stack and one at the rear of the center console). An additional 115-volt plug can be found in the optional RamBox.

The Crew’s second-row now features an eight degree of slide-recline with best-in-class leg room of 45.1 inches. Folding up the rear bench seat reveals up to 40L of additional storage space.

[​IMG]

2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment

A new 12-inch fully configurable split screen display with SiriusXM with 360L is noteworthy. A 360-degree Surround View Camera is now available. The optional Uconnect 4 with an 8.4-inch display and standard base Uconnect 3 with 5-inch display rounds out the screens.

The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 can be equipped with a Harman Kardon system with 19 speakers and 10-inch subwoofer.

Within the center console, a new optional wireless charging pad can charge a small tablet or multiple smartphones. There are five USB ports (three are in front of the center console and two are in the back). Three of which can communicate with the Uconnect interface while the other two USB ports are charge only. Four of the five USB ports are new type C/A ports that allow devices to be charged up to four times faster than standard USB outlets. The remaining USB is type A.

2019 RAM 1500 Safety

Exclusive splayed and tapered frame rails provide more energy absorption for all impact modes. Frame-mounted high-strength steel tire blockers are placed at front cab location to redirect the tire outbound in a front-offset impact.

Here is a fast list of what is standard or available:
    • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop, Go and Hold
    • Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
    • Blind-spot Monitoring (BSM)
    • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
    • Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
    • Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
    • Brake-throttle override
    • Electric parking brake (EPB)
    • Parallel/Perpendicular Park Assist
    • ParkSense park assist front and rear
    • Surround View Camera
    • 9-1-1 Call/Assist Call
    [​IMG]

2019 Ram 1500 Warranty
    • Three-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage
    • Transferable five-year/60,000-mile Powertrain with free towing to the nearest Ram Truck dealer
    The 2019 Ram 1500 is built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (SHAP) in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

What do I think? RAM missed an opportunity to add a full hybrid for the lighter capacity 3.6L V6 buyers by using the Hybrid system within the Pacifica PHEV minus the plug-in capability. The city efficiency would have sky rocketed far more than addition of a robust Start/Stop system does. The more heavily atkinsonized Pentastar V6 may have made cylinder deactivation a moot point. Remember however that we are considering the most efficient gasoline fueled pickup to begin with. The additions are only going to make it that much more efficient! :)

I cannot wait to try that out this new drivetrain.

And finally, the rear seat leg room and comfort improvements are always a welcome addition for rear seat passengers. I have an idea in mind for that in mind too. :)

phoebeisis likes this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

imo, .. very tough to make a hybrid pickup that the market can afford/wants. (didn't GM try this during high gas prices and it didn't work out?)

A true work pickup (oilfield, farm, construction) gets a lot of dirt/mud/rough roads/heavy loads --- which tend to increase failures so you want fewer points of failure, not more. -- cost of maintenance over-rules fuel savings. Plus, the fuel savings for hybrids only shows up in heavy stop and go, lots (not all) of work trucks do many highway miles and then off into the dirt/mud.

For urban cowboys, treated nicely and garaged, --- maybe all the extra complication doesn't show up too bad in the mx cost, but the initial purchase gets out of hand and you realize you could just drive a car to the office. ---i.e. maybe the hybridization pays back in under 10 years if gas is $5+/gallon. But at $5/gallon I think the pickup/SUV craze starts to die down.

/there's a LOT of tech packed into that Ram, what's it going to cost? .. $60k?

3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I guess the upper 5% can drive a hybrid pickup or a Tesla.... for the other 95%? ---- we've got an automated pod for you to cram into

phoebeisis, BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Carcus:

Good points all as usual. Instead of a 48V system, I wish RAM would have used an even more robust and simpler 12V system with a larger AGM battery like the current Gen Start/Stop if they are going to add it. The fuel savings for both Start/Stop and Mild Hybridization are minimal. The 48V NiMH pack, inverter/transverter, Motor Starter/Generator and harness are probably not that much less expensive than a full hybrid system and provide just a small a fraction of the efficiency increase.

The good thing is the 3.6L Pentastar is already really efficient and anything more for the second gen engine, AT, weight reduction, and aero improvements should provide another 1 to 2 mpg combined.

Pricing has yet to be released but expect the fully loaded Ram Limited Tungsten trim to go for close to $80k! Discounts with the Tradesman should see it closer to $20k + TTL within 6-months of release given the usual large discounts that are piled on the lucrative trucks hood soon after release.

Wayne

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  5. The best looking of the 3. So much buzz, couldn't get inside it
    Did get this pic

Attached Files:

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It's impressive that they added the mild hybrid and still saved 120 lbs. The "mild brake energy regeneration" is accomplished how? When compression braking?

7. xcel

Hi Jay:

The Belt driven Starter-Generator is what is supplying brake energy regeneration back to the small pack during deceleration. RAM said nothing about a transmission mounted motor and would not have unless it was a full hybrid. 1 kWh pack and a 40 hp motor between the engine and 8-speed and we would have the first lightweight and low cost full hybrid. :)

Wayne

phoebeisis, Jay and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

How come the high end frills on a work truck don't have to be justified by payback time? Rhetorical...

phoebeisis, Trollbait and xcel like this.
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Right all
    What is the point
    the 3.6 was rated 18/25 several years ago(stunning -EPA numbers for a 300 hp 1/2 spark ignitionTON that no one here would have predicted in 2000)
    Yeah-not much point-and the battery 400 watt hrs-maybe 1/4 of a tiny prius??-
    worth what-since they usually only drain to 75% charge??-maybe 1/3 mile at 50 mph??) (Prius needs maybe 250 watt hrs to do a mile at 50-60 mph)
    Not much point with $2.50 gas and already superb mpg

xcel, Jay and BillLin like this.
  10. BillLin

That's a good question about depth of discharge, especially for longevity. Ultracaps could do better in conjunction with slower-reacting energy storage like the small battery. Cost? I don't know... We need some cost numbers for this 48V system.

I think the cost differential of the basic 48V system can be managed. Put the 48V system in a million cars and it won't seem that out of place cost-wise. Think about our throw-away $600 smart phones every couple of years. Well, not $600 every couple of years for some of us, but for many.

I think the main benefit is for more efficient stop/start and possibly off-loading the engine most of the time from an alternator load. Giving a tiny boost when accelerating from zero is just a bonus. But only if the system is good for the lifetime of the vehicle. If cost can be contained, this would be a good basis for all cars.

There's more in energy content in the tiny 12V battery in my Prius. :) The one I just replaced is rated 45 Ah, though only when used in trickle mode.

phoebeisis, xcel and Jay like this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The Prius C battery is 900wh and that's a full hybrid. I think this truck's mild hybrid is a good compromise given the low cost of fuel and they accomplished it without adding much extra weight over non-hybrid. The integrated starter/alternator saved a little weight and cost possibly.

phoebeisis, xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. I think the only benefit they mentioned at the release was take off from a dead stop, to help get the truck rolling.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Since the HSG is replacing the starter and alternator, I don't see these systems adding more complexity. They don't add much to price; $800 to $1200 retail. A cheap full hybrid system will add $2000. Most are in the $3000 area. For a full size pick up truck, it might go over $4000. The mild system is cheap enough for Ram to make it standard for 2019. They could not afford to make the truck available hybrid only with a full hybrid system, and most truck buyers will skip on the full hybrid if it is just an option.

The fuel savings may be minor, but emission improvements are an incentive for manufacturers to install these mild hybrid systems.

GM does offer the 3rd gen eAssist mild system on their pick ups, but as an option.

Basically the same way as in Mazada's iEloop system; let the engine spin up to spin the the alternator/HSG for regen. The next generation of these 48 volt systems will be putting the motor after the engine, between that and the transmission, for improved regen efficiency.

phoebeisis, Jay, xcel and 1 other person like this.
  14. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Cool, I'll take one with the diesel option please.

phoebeisis, xcel and BillLin like this.
  15. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck;
    :D :D :D

Wayne

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  16. Trollbait

Does it really use a NiMH battery?

phoebeisis likes this.
  17. BillLin

I have not found the news release, but here are a couple different sources and takes on what kind of 48V system it is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...ild-hybrid-on-all-gas-engines/2/#5843d9952ad1
    The energy is stored in an air-cooled 300 wH lithium ion battery supplied by LG Chem and mounted on the rear wall of the truck’s cab.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/01/20180115-ram.html
    With the engine running, eTorque’s motor generator unit feeds 48-volt current to a 330 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery.

You choose the right answer. :)

Edit: I just noticed something in the rest of that paragraph from GCC.

"The battery pack includes a 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC inverter to maintain the battery’s state of charge and convert 48 volts to 12 volts to power the Ram 1500’s accessories and charge its conventional 12-volt lead-acid battery."

So... 12V lead acid still there for longer term keep-alive function for the electronics I presume...

Edit2: nice graphic

2019ram.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. Trollbait

I'm assuming the HSG normally spins the ICE up to around 1000rpm before start up like other hybrids, but can the 12 volt give it enough juice for an emergency start up at typical starter speeds?

phoebeisis and xcel like this.
  19. BillLin

Interesting question. Do they have to design for that contingency? Do other hybrids provide a backup starting method? I remember in the FEH/MMH (Escape/Mariner) there was a means for the 12V to give a 1-shot recharge of the NiMH traction battery should there be insufficient charge in the big battery to start, but that would most likely reduce the lifespan of the 12V battery. I know I never had need for it. It was great knowing Ford designed for that unknown back in the early days of hybrids.

Another way I'm looking at your question is whether there is a way to recharge the 48V battery. I would love to know that!

phoebeisis and xcel like this.
  20. xcel

2019 Ram 1500 Wins 'Best Family Car' From Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association

Hi All:

FCA owned the annual Family Car Challenge hosted by the Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association (GAAMA), winning more awards than any other manufacturer at the annual competition.

The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 was honored with overall Best Family Car and Best Family Truck awards. The Chrysler Pacifica was named the Best Three-Row Family Car for the second consecutive year, as well as Best Green Family Car.

2019 RAM 1500

[​IMG]

GAAMA Journalists scored vehicles after driving suburban routes around Alpharetta, Georgia.

For the third year in a row, members were impressed with Ram 1500’s combination of technology, functionality, drivability and family-friendly features.

FCA US vehicles receiving awards at the GAAMA Family Car Challenge:

Ram

Overall Best Family Car: 2019 Ram 1500
    Best Family Pickup Truck: 2019 Ram 1500

Chrysler

Best Three-Row Family Car: 2018 Chrysler Pacifica
    Best Green Family Car: 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid

2019 Ram 1500

The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 provides luxury, efficiency, capability and innovation. Ram’s newest 1500 offers the largest cabin, incredible comfort, convenience and overall drivability.

Ram leads the full-size truck segment with the most safety and security features and now delivers significant gains in fuel efficiency with an all-new eTorque system in both V6 and V8 configurations. Overall weight for the 2019 Ram 1500 has been reduced by 225 pounds. As the truck’s backbone, the frame uses advanced materials and engineering to eliminate 100 pounds while increasing stiffness and durability for 12,750 pounds of towing capability and 2,300 pounds of payload. The new Uconnect 4C with its 12-inch touchscreen leads the pickup segment with technology featuring split-screen capability, 360-degree camera views and exclusive content from SiriusXM with 360L. Active safety and security systems join the technology onslaught with adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, Blind-spot Monitoring and ready alert braking.

The 2019 Ram 1500 went on sale earlier this year and has a starting MSRP of $31,695 plus $1,645 destination fee.

BillLin and TheStepChild like this.