Chevrolet Formally Introduces the All-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 16, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] More capable and efficient thanks to light weighting and more efficient drivetrains.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 15, 2018

[​IMG]

Detroit, MI -- At the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), Chevrolet released even more details about its next-generation Silverado with the back drop of the first Chevrolet trucks being offered to customers in January of 1918, 100 years to the month.

Like Ford and its all-aluminum body shell release more than 2-years ago that dropped hundreds of pounds from the previous gen, the all-new Silverado has shed almost 450 pounds. This mass reduction comparison is based on crew cab -8 models. The biggest news however was the loss of the base 4.3L V6 engine and a 3.0L I6 Duramax Turbo Diesel being added for the 2019 MY.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Improvements Abound

The 2019 Silverado 1500 bed provides the most cargo volume in every bed length, with the short-box offering 63 cubic feet of volume — up to 20 percent larger than “a” competitor’s short-box. Why does Chevrolet have to muck up a great release with a statement like that?

The larger volume was achieved by widening the maximum width of the bed floor almost seven inches. Like the RAMs RAMBOX, Chevrolet will offer OEM storage bins that fit over the wheel wells, offering nearly seven cubic feet of lockable cargo space for short-box models, while still allowing a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood to lye flat on the cargo floor.

James Davis, aka "TheStepChild" and CleanMPG truck editor:
    For 2019, the Silverado bed will be formed from higher strength steel alloy that also reduces mass. The bed also includes twelve – 9 moveable – 500 lb pull force tie-downs.

On higher end trims, a power up/down tailgate operated from the key fob, interior button or by hand can be ordered.
    Besides the drivetrain changes mentioned above, one of the best features the Silverado and its sister Sierra have included for years is that for the 2019 MY, even larger cutout CornerStep bumpers are said to better accommodate steel-toed boots.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Size and Weight Reduction

The 2019 Silverado wheelbase and length are up to 3.9 inches and 1.6 inches longer respectively.

The body is 88 pounds lighter thanks in part to all exterior hinged panels (doors, hood and tailgate) are made of aluminum while the body shell is made of steel.

The fully boxed steel frame is 88 pounds lighter with a 10 percent increase in torsional rigidity. Eighty percent of the frame is made of high-strength steel.

The front independent suspension features new forged-aluminum upper control arms. The live-axle rear suspension includes new carbon-composite second-stage springs on LT models that saves another 24 pounds.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Drivetrain(s)

The 2019 Silverado will arrive with six engine/transmission combinations including updated 5.3L and 6.2L V8s with cylinder shutoff.

The Silverado will also be available with an all-new 3.0L I6 Duramax turbo-diesel.

Both the 3.0L diesel and 6.2L engines are paired with a new 10-speed ATs as well as start/stop.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Exterior Design

The Silverado’s receives a new the front grille with air curtains. The profile includes an integrated spoiler at the rear edge of the cab that directs air onto the tailgate lip, reducing wind drag. Together with other enhancements, aero drag has been reduced by 7 percent.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Interior Design

[​IMG]
    2019 Silverado LTZ High Country trim interior shown.​

The interior is said to be more comfortable with more interior cargo storage volume and more intuitive controls.

The passenger cabin has been increased with crew-cab models now offering 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom for a 44.5 inches of front seat legroom and 43.8 inches of rear seat legroom.

Available storage options include two 10L bins integrated in the second-row seatbacks and a large 24L storage tray under the second-row seat.

Like the previous gen. the all-new Silverado can be purchased with 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, Apple Car Play, Android Auto, wireless phone charging and OnStar.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Trims

Work Truck features a “CHEVROLET” graphic across the grille and tailgate, blacked-out trim and 17-inch steel wheels. The interior features vinyl or cloth seats and 7-inch color touch screen.

Custom features a body-color styling theme, 20-inch painted alloys, LED signature taillamps and available integrated dual exhaust.

Custom Trailboss adds off-road equipment to the Custom, including a 2-inch suspension lift and the Z71 Off Road Package with a locking rear differential, skid plates, Rancho shocks, 18-inch wheels and Goodyear Duratrac off-road tires.

LT features chrome accents on the bumpers, front grille and mirror caps, Chevrolet bowtie in the grille, LED reflector headlamps and signature daytime running lights. The interior features an 8-inch color touch screen and available leather.

RST adds street-performance appearance to the LT with body-color trim, full LED lighting (foglamps, headlamps and taillamps) and up to 22-inch wheels with all-season tires.

LT Trailboss adds off-road equipment to the LT, including a 2-inch suspension lift and the Z71 Off Road Package, including locking rear differential, skid plates, Rancho shocks, 18-inch wheels and Goodyear Duratrac off-road tires.

LTZ features chrome accents on the bumpers, front grille, mirror caps, door handles and hockey-stick beltline as well as power folding and heated outside rearview mirrors. Leather interior trim is standard equipment.

High Country features an exclusive front grille design with two-tone chrome and bronze finish, body-color accents plus chrome assist steps from wheel to wheel. It also includes the power up/down tailgate as standard equipment.

Now about those EPA ratings… ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

From fuelly: "2,993 Chevrolet Silverado 1500s have provided 49.8 million miles of real world fuel economy & MPG data."
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/silverado_1500

So in the real world over the past 30 years not much has changed -- an increase from 15 to 16 mpg. Maybe they're getting better at gaming the EPA tests, but if history is any guide, I wouldn't expect "gallons purchased" to be much different at the next trip to the gas pump.

/it's a good looking pickup, I can't deny. Probably what Clark Griswold really would've wanted.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

There is a significant jump from the previous to current generation, 15mpg to ~16.7.

Markus, BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I think the problem may be that they keep upping the horsepower and you know people and power... give it to them and they'll use it! Of course I'm thinking more of the average, non-working-truck drivers.

5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem. The bigger part for pickups/SUV's imo, is aero and mass. (big A, little m). 63 mph on a flat highway, no wind warm day, yeah you'll see some decent mpg. Once it starts getting windy, cold,70 mph, up and down ... bad news. Unlike a low profile, lightweight sedan --- which is much better at hanging onto its mpg when the going gets normal.

Regardless of drivetrain, .. this is a problem that won't go away: Check out the Tesla model X forums and you'll see the same phenomenon.

Real world range on 75D Model X?
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/real-world-range-75d-model-x

/there's a reason you don't see turnips lined up at the blood bank.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

You need to not only factor in the power improvements, but what those improvements mean for the trucks' capability. Today's truck may only get the same fuel economy as one from 20 years ago, but it gets it while hauling more weight. The real issues are the lack of smaller truck choices, and people buying trucks they don't need.

Also, MPG is a poor metric for seeing the effect of efficiency improvements. The 15 to 16 mpg seen by the Silverado is a 10% improvement. Over the same time period, the non-hybrid Camry might have improved by the same amount. The Camry's MPG value improvement looks better, but the Silverado's results in less oil used.
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/camry

7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

A 15 to 16 mpg would be a 6.666% improvement.

Fuelly on the Toyota Camry from 1988 to 2018 went from 28 mpg to 33 mpg. That's a 17.9% improvement. Viewed as a real world percentage gain comparison, that's close to 3 times what the Silverado was able to achieve.

The only new "capabilities" being utilized in today's pickups are egocentric (i.e. watch me out-accelerate you into the next gap, .. mine's bigger than yours)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

But hey, bring the pickup back down to a reasonable height/size, insert a power plant from a whole different direction ---- If the OEM's/buying public were ever actually interested in an efficient work vehicle ... who knows what might happen?

"Based on current testing, the engine is anticipated to be fully integrated into the vehicle and drivable in late 2018."

Achates showcases 2.7L, 3-cylinder opposed piston gasoline compression ignition engine in F-150; estimated 37 mpg combined

/shouldn't this be the most important "reveal" from detroit?
    //add,.. and that is "Saudi Aramco" who's partnered.
    imo,.. they need to keep oil under $80/barrel or "long term demand destruction" starts to kick in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to work the supply/demand equation from both sides at this point. $70 oil plus loads of taxes have european gasoline in the $6-7/gallon level now. At some point, people just stop buying it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Looks like a plumber's nightmare. And only twice the cost of conventional V-8 ! I like it.

10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I heard that they will have an EV version?

EdwinTheMagnificent, xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Flint Engine to Build All-new Duramax 3.0L I6 Turbo Diesel for 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

2019 Chevrolet Silverado

[​IMG]

GM announced that its Flint Engine Operations will manufacture the all-new Duramax 3.0L turbo-diesel for the 2019 Silverado. In 2015 GM announced a $263 million investment in Flint Engine Operations for a new engine line.

The 2019 Silverado will be available with the all-new Flint-built 3.0L I6 turbo-diesel. The new turbo-diesel will be paired with a Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission and will feature industry-exclusive technologies that optimize performance and efficiency.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

The values for the Camry are pulled up by the hybrid, which sold in relatively small numbers for the model. The V6 option might have out sold the hybrid in the US some years. Look at pre-hybrid numbers, 2011 and earlier, and the Camry was returning 28mpg.

Then the Silverado actually has improved by more than 1mpg. The lazy rounding we are using hurts lower values more in MPG. On the flip side of the Camry hybrid influence, some of those reported Silverados could include trucks actually being used for truck stuff, like towing, that will drag their numbers down.

I was sure the Camry improved more than the Silverado. I also ignored the 2018 Camry because it was a all new car with all new engines that has been out for less than a half year. But even using the values quoted above, the Camry's greater improvements in MPG don't result in as great of an improvement in fuel used. Over 10k miles, the newer Camry will save 540 gallons of gas. The Silverado will save 420 gallons figuring just a 1mpg improvement, and 570 gallons with a 1.4mpg one.

I agree on how most people are actually using their truck. It is an issue. We also have an issue in people choosing the non-hybrid over the hybrid in large numbers.

The Aramco reveal shows that the ICE isn't dead, but it makes no mention of emissions.