Week of January 15 to January 21 (Nat’l Avg $2.529)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has dropped another 3.7¢ since last week to $2.529 - this time last year it was moving higher at $2.343 so it's "only" 7.9% (+18.6¢) dearer.
    Diesel is up 2.5¢ at $2.930. It's 15.8% (+39.9¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a 15.9% premium to regular.
    E85 up to $2.100 - a year ago it was $2.003.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Whoops ! Accidentally posted today's drive ( and rant) in last week's thread. I'm still a bit rattled by my stressful drive in to work today.
    Thanks for starting the thread , Gord.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Frosty this morning. No school today, in honor of MLK. But still work for some of us.
    59.7 mpg / 5.2 mi. Coolant only got up to 150F.

Tank is at 45.4 / 393 mi and down to 1/4.
    F____|__/__E

BillLin, puddleglum and Gord like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

Oh, and rain tonight turning to snow by morning ( = ice under the snow). Roads will be messy tomorrow!

BillLin and Gord like this.
  5. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

You guys be safe out there. Roads are a little slick around here as well, but at least I have winter tires on.

42.5 - 4 to work. 50 - 4.7 home. 10-12*F (17-22 mph SE wind)
    Tank back up .1 to 44.8 mpg

PaleMelanesian, BillLin and Gord like this.
  6. Gord

Motorway last night - needed up and down the junction trick, pretty busy, 39°F, 12mph tail/crosswind WSW:
    43.0 / 22.4

This morning, sleet/snow all the way, much slower than normal - slushy roads, not many chances for coasts, 2°C, 12mph headwind W:
    41.9 / 22.7 - actually happy to get over 40 in those conditions :)

Tank down 0.3 at 43.8 (FCD 46.2) / 298.1 / Range 305. Guess gauge F___«|««««E . UG down 0.2 at 45.5 / DTE 316

Lost 3rd pip @ 268 miles

Heavy snow forecast today and tonight :eek::(

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 8.5 deg F wind W10. 35.2 miles , roads messy with a bit of fresh snow , 49.1 MPG. Yes , I used heat and defrost.

8. PaleMelanesian

Half my office is working from home today. A friend tried going to work, nearly wrecked 2 miles out and went back home. We have a couple inches of snow on top of slick ice.

9. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Here in Northwestern Oregon the lowest price gas is Costco in Warrenton Oregon where reg. 87 octane (10% ethanol / winter blend of course) is $2.599 / gal. Its been pretty much at that price for the last 3-4 weeks now even though oil is well over $60.00 /BBL. My wife and I have a 2010 Prius and her car is a 2016 Volt Premier. Gas prices don't have much effect on us directly of course indirectly all goods and services are effected by rising and lower oil prices.

Temp's yesterday were well above average 55-68 F. What a difference 20 degrees makes. Here are the results from yesterday.
    Yesterday, my wife and I went down to Tillamook Oregon fishing in one of the many pristine rivers. We drove down via Highway 101 where speeds ranged from 25-65 MPH. Fishing was not great as we caught only 1 trout, and no steelhead, but it was a very warm day for Jan. The high temp was 68F and the low was 55F on the way back at 5:00 PM.

We took our 2016 Volt Premier which had all our fishing gear and my wife's camera gear as well. When we arrived home the total miles for the trip was 127.8, we still had 3 miles left of electric range on the dash.

Electric miles:61.6 with an indicated 13.9 KWH used

Gas miles: 66.3 miles with and indicated 1.25 gal's use (reg. 87 octane Costco Gas with 10% Ethanol winter blend)

MPG displayed on gas: 53.4 MPG

Now the same trip with temps' in the 40's would have yielded somewhere around 48 MPG on gas and 48-50 miles of electric.

It cost less money to use our Volt to take a trip like this than if we used our 2010 Prius with the exact temps.

$6.27 for the Prius (based on 53 MPG with gas at $2.60 / gal)
    $5.05 for the Volt (1.80 for electric and $3.25 for gas @ $2.60 / gal)

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  10. PaleMelanesian

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Wow.

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  12. puddleglum

That looks horrible. It's definitely good you stayed home Andrew.

41.3 - 4 to work this morning. -17*C (2*F)
    58 - 4.7 home. -6*C and no wind. Forgive my moment of gloating, but it was a beautiful Sunny afternoon here.

Off topic, I just looked up Longview to see where you're at. Noticed it's not that far from where my dad was born. Small world.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I wasn't expecting the semi to start sliding downhill backwards ! Scary stuff. Today , 2.5 deg F , wind WSW6. 15.5 miles , no highway , 45.6 MPG.

Engine really doesn't want to shut off when it's this cold. I did need electric front defrost , also.

14. BillLin

I was... :D I'm a sick puppy.

Gord, puddleglum and PaleMelanesian like this.
  15. BillLin

Do we have such a thing on Priuses/Prii?

Gord likes this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

On my 2015 Gen 3 Prius ( cheap-o model) , it does. It's just above the rear defrost button.it blows electrically heated air on your windshield.
    Or you can do what everyone else does in this weather: start the car , turn on heat/defrost full blast , come back and climb in the car 15 min later.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  17. BillLin

Thanks! I'll have to do more research. :)

Gord likes this.
  18. Gord

Double wow!!

Rubbish journey home last night, 38°F, 12mph tail/crosswind WSW:
    37.6 / 22.4

This morning, snowed on and off all night, still snowing, my route wasn't too bad but quite a few people got stuck on the way to work, 35°F, 12mph headwind W gusting to 40:
    41.1 / 22.6

Tank down 0.7 at 43.1 (FCD 45.5) / 343.1 / Range 240. Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG down 0.5 at 45.0 / DTE 264

Half tank @ 326 miles. The weather is hammering this tank, worst for 12 months.

More strong winds forecast, 50+mph.

BillLin likes this.
  19. puddleglum

I feel for you guys. We've had some terrible winters here. I think the heavy wet snow and/or freezing rain is worse to drive in than the cold. They all cost mileage. Just trying to stay on the road is tough and the best you can hope for mileage wise is to minimize the damage. Hopefully it won't last too long.

This week is looking like it's going to be really nice here. It's unseasonably warm and giving me a chance to make up some of what I lost in that last cold spell. Today was my best day in months I think. -5*C (24*F) and very little wind morning and evening.
    47.8 - 4 mi. to work.
    56.9 - 5.9 mi. work to home then right back out to renew car registration.
    43.5 mi. - 1.1 mi. home.
    Tank showing up to 45.4 - 148 mi.

20. BillLin

You're an inspiration, adapting so well to your cold environment.

Gord and puddleglum like this.