2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit

Discussion in 'Events and Gatherings' started by xcel, Jan 9, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

[​IMG]

Every journey begins with a small first ste ... decal! :D

The 2018 Hyundai #Elantra Eco is now prepped for its inaugural 7,000+ mile RT journey to the 2018 NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) and back.

Starting in San Diego, the first destination is the half way point in Detroit. A small detour on the way back for short visits to both The Chicago Auto Show and the Greater Milwaukee Auto Show, hopefully taking in a Midwest Automotive Media Association meet while in the frigid Midwest, and finally a trip back west to the Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, Calif. - home to the 2018 Shell #EcoMarathon - before heading home to San Diego.

The first Shell Eco-marathon Americas was held at the Sonoma Raceway back in 2007 so this is a kind of welcome home celebration.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Eco

[​IMG]

Shell is helping with the fuel so in return I will be passing out a large number of $0.25 off per gallon Fuel Rewards Network cards as I make my way across the country and back.

The 2018 Auto Show season is in full swing and I cannot wait to check out the all-new metal being planned and prepped in both Detroit and Chicago this winter. :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  2. I've heard rumors of a new express van.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

Hi All:

The road to Detroit begins in California...

A Pennzoil/Quaker State MPG meet at the The Proud Bird Restaurant just outside of LAX is just the beginning...

2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO

[​IMG]
    The #Hyundai #Elantra is posing below a famous "Red Tails" P-51 at the Proud Bird just outside of LAX...

[​IMG]
    Carlsbad, CA. Shell with the Pacific less than .5 miles behind me and the infamous I-5 ahead.

[​IMG]
    But first a climb on the I-8 to the 4,181' ASL Crestwood Summit some 81 miles out.

[​IMG]
    And sea level at the 122-mile mark.​

With #Shell and the Fuel Rewards Network covering the fuel, how about "#Shell_OnTheRoad" with #InstantGold. ;)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

The CA/AZ border is just down the road a piece.

[​IMG]

"#Shell_OnTheRoad" with #InstantGold.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

NM is next.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. xcel

Hi All:

The highest point traversed occurred at the Continental Divide on I-40 in NM.

[​IMG]
    The highest point traversed was 7,275' ASL at the Continental Divide on I-40 in NM.​

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

HI All:

The TX border was up next and the next few shots are some of my favorites as they are time lapse setups.

2018 Hyundai Elantra ECO at the NM/TX border

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are crossing the U.S. on I-40, you must stop at Cadillac Ranch just outside of Amarillo, TX even if it is in the middle of the night.

[​IMG]

A 30-second Time Lapse with my Sony a6300 and 19 mm f2.8 Sigma Prime mounted on a tri-pod. I used a Samsung Mobile USA Galaxy S8+' LED to light the vehicles while running up and down the length just outside the right of the frame as the time lapse was occurring. :)

Wayne

BillLin and Markus like this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

It was just 13 degrees F at the TX/OK border when I snapped this reflection off the passenger side rear glass. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

A shot from the embankment above the OK/MO border sign on I-40.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

There was little I could snap at the Mississippi River when passing by. The Arch would have been a killer shot but... An IL border sign later in the evening. Temps from 9 to 15 degrees F and 20 to 30 mph headwinds. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi All:

Looking back, a cool product shot from a Shell in Tulsa, OK.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. On the people mover, heading to the show. If anyone wants any specific pics or details, let me know.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That's mighty creative, Wayne. Somehow, I didn't think of light as something that can be added in small dabs over time to attain an increase in overall light levels. Amazing results!

xcel likes this.
  14. xcel

HI Bill:

Thanks! I saw a time lapse vid on YouTube where the producers were doing this with hour long plus exposures with high end DSLRs in the middle of the desert and using high power flashlights to sweep the target while everything outside just showed a beautiful sky with the star sweep above.

I snapped three and this one provided the creamiest ground lighting while still allowing some of the painted colors to show. I wish I had a high power flashlight with me as the Sony a6300 only has a 30-second maximum time lapse and I suspect the colors could have popped a lot more.

Here is a similar shot with a 10-second time lapse but without a passing vehicle or my smartphone LED sweep. A vastly different picture and a useless one at that.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  15. xcel

BillLin likes this.
  16. A few highlights from the show:

Lexus was standing room only outside the theater for the release of the concept LF-1, a high performance crossover. They did say it was a concept and no details on drive train but that it had adaptive air suspension.

Complete redesign for the Ram for 2019. I couldn't get anywhere near the truck after the release! +9% better aero, 4 inches longer, .5 wider, 10% better cargo in bed. Aluminum tailgate. Reclining REAR seats! At least 10% better fuel economy in gas engines partly due to a mild hybrid assist with some kind of braking regen and assist on take off. And, a return of a diesel. A lot of claims from Ram about getting best in Fuel economy after numbers are released.

BMW talked a lot about motorcycles. I don't remember them being mentioned in years past. C evolution electric scooter coming to the US, and a K1600 Grand America. Refresh of the mini.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  17. xcel

18. xcel

Hi All:

And the road back...

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  19. xcel

Hi All:

My view at the first WY Rest area after NE on I-80 Westbound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

From the NE/WY border at 5,000' ASL and 60 degrees to Cheyenne at 6,200' ASL and 45 degrees just 40 miles later, to nearing whiteout conditions at 8,600' ASL and 30 degrees, and closing of I-80 after Laramie after another 35 miles. This is early April in WY in a nutshell.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.