Hybrid engine heat?

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by darrelldb1, Jan 8, 2018.

1. darrelldb1

darrelldb1 Well-Known Member

I've got a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid that had an issue that if you ran the heater and the car was idling in EV the engine temp would drop off drastically. It would only take 30 seconds or so for it to start to drop and then another couple to get all the way down near the C from fully warmed up. However, if it sat in EV with the heater off, it remained rock solid.
    I took it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat.

The car still behaves in the same manner except that it is much slower to happen. It takes over 2 minutes for the temp to start dropping and another 5 minutes to drop to near the C.

My question is: Is this just normal behavior that I have not noticed until now? I have had the car for over 1.5 years now, kinda seems odd that I just noticed this. I don't recall experiencing this in the Camry hybrid or Sonata hybrids I have had.

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Hi Darrell (sp?),

I didn't see you mention whether the cabin heat was set to fresh air or recirculate. If you're pulling in fresh air, the (non-running) engine will cool off in no time. Recirculated air helps retain the engine heat as much as possible with lesser heating demands within the cabin through conduction of heat to the outside rather than COLD air directly from outside demanding to be warmed up.

I can't think of what else might be going on if indeed there's a problem.

Cheers,
    Bill

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

It has been excessively cold lately, and on my FEH the coolant temp will drop when the heat is on, even when idling. I try to keep the heat off unless the vehicle is in constant motion with the engine running.

BillLin likes this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I also try to not run the heater unless I am certain the engine won't/can't shut off , like on the highway. Or during an uphill pulse only , if not on the highway.

BillLin likes this.
  5. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. For the Escape Hybrid, that means constant speeds over 40 MPH.

BillLin likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Sometimes having a hybrid means never having to say "I'm too warm".

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Sometimes, dating means you keep your "I'm too warm" thoughts to yourself. :D