2018 Ford F-150 With The 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 8, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The most anticipated 2018 MY full size pickup hands down!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 8, 2018

2018 Ford F-150 w/ the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Meet the all-new 2018 MY Ford F-150 with the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel mated to an all-new 10-Speed AT. Its 250 hp and 440 lb.-ft of torque, 11,400 pounds of towing cap and 2,020 pounds of payload are all extremely noteworthy. Its estimated 30 mpg highway rating is however “DA BOMB”!!!

Ford announced this morning that its 2018 MY F-150 with the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel will soon become the sixth engine choice for future F-150 owners. Oh, and Auto Start-Stop is also standard. :)

Ford’s All-new 3.0L V6 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Design

The F-150 Power Stroke turbo diesel is said to shares much of the commercial-grade technology from the brands F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7L V8 Power Stroke.

The very same Ford powertrain team that designed and engineered the 6.7L Power Stroke in-house was responsible for engineering and adapting the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 turbo diesel to the 2018 MY F-150.

2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

[​IMG]

Peak torque is available at just 1,750 rpm will make this turbo diesel a joy to drive.

Moving beyond the capability and into the construction detail, a super strong yet light compacted-graphite iron block and forged-steel crank are the foundation for multi-hundreds of thousands of miles rated engine.

To reduced turbo lag, a high-efficiency variable-geometry turbocharger was incorporated. The common-rail runs at an ultra-high 29,000 PSI with multiple injections per compression stroke to reduce consumption and emissions while also providing lower NVH.

Dual fuel filters are added for improved break-in and long-term reliability while a cast-aluminum oil pan and two-stage oil pump mean reduces parasitic loss and improves efficiency.

The all-new 3.0L also features a premium mechanical engine-driven fan and dual radiator shutters for improved high temperature, high-altitude performance vs. an electric cooling fans used by competitors. While under light load, the Power Stroke engine control system backs off the fan load through a viscous coupler and closes the two radiator shutters for improved aerodynamic efficiency and reduced parasitic engine losses.

A standard 10-speed AT maximizes efficiency and performance and in lightly loaded driving non-sequentially select the right gear ratio based on demand.

2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Highlights and Power/Torque curve

[​IMG]

Underneath is all F-150

The 3.0L Turbo diesel and 10-speed AT are a major part of the story but like all well designed trucks, the chassis that carries and tows the mass must be up to the task as well. Ford utilizes the high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, to reduce the vehicles curb weight while increasing both towing and payload without sacrifice.

For 2018, Ford has added even stronger axles coupled with the fully boxed, 95+ percent high-strength steel frame.

Arrival This Spring

In mid-January, Ford dealers will begin taking orders for the 2018 F-150 with all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel with customer delivery scheduled sometime this spring.

The 3.0L Power Stroke turbo diesel engine will be available on all F-150 trim levels with SuperCrew 5.5-foot or 6.5-foot bed configurations and SuperCab trucks with the 6.5-foot bed.

30 mpg highway is eye opening? A 45+ mpg target will be extraordinary. In either case, it will be a good year for pickup truck fans and especially enthusiast loyal to the Ford brand in particular.

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I see a timing belt in the photo. Not a big deal for me because I'm not considering an F-150 anytime soon, and I often don't put enough mileage on my vehicles to get to the point where a belt would require replacement. But the belt may be a downside to some customers when compared to the EcoDiesel's timing chain.

I think we should do another camping adventure ;)

phoebeisis, BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm-
    Does the Dodge 3.0 TD have a belt or chain??
    This Ford-slightly better HP TQ than the 8speed AT 3.0 TD V6 Ram-
    Smart move IF it is as reliable as a spark ignition engine-
    And not TOO much more expensive
    Guessing FORD learned the lessons from their 2004 6.0 Powerstroke that was partially designed by NAVSTAR- and had reliability problems

A TD like this makes sense-IF it gets significantly better FE than their big brothers-and if it is MUCH-$15,000 or more -cheaper
    I think Wayne got an honest 25-mpg at 60 mph with the HUGE CUMMINS straight six
    The RAM 3.0TD got 40 mpg at 60 mph-so we will see

These 3.0TDs make a LOT more sense than the 5liter TDs which have all the COST of the 6.6 6.7 TDs but just a little bit better FE-

xcel, wxman and BillLin like this.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hey-isn't the RAM 3.0TD rated at 30 mpg-and it reached that mark SEVERAL years ago right?
    Anyone have any idea how reliable the 3.0TD RAM is??
    The knock on Dodge was always poor quality "trim elements"-drivetrains were usually relaible(with the exception of those 1980-1990 minivan ATs) but trim "stuff" broke-maybe other problems also?
    Guessing Dodge is much better now-QC wise.
    Charlie

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. xcel

Hi Charlie:

The 2016 RAM 1500 HFE with the EcoDiesel was rated at 29 mpg highway. Unfortunately it has not received EPA Conformity for the 2018 MY and thus is still unavailable. :(

With the Ford V6 TD and now 2019 Chevrolet Silverado I6 TD, it will be a good year to inspect and drive the two super trucks.

Wayne

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

If the belt is like the one in Ford's hybrids, it is a lifetime belt constructed along the lines of the belts in CVT; mostly steel.

phoebeisis, BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. seftonm

The Silverado I6 diesel sounds interesting, I was not expecting them to come out with that.

I wonder if Toyota is going to offer a diesel in the Tundra. Their 5.7 makes decent power but it is a pretty old design and is behind almost everyone on fuel economy.

xcel, phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

There were rumors of the Tundra getting a the 5L V8 Cummins that was once going into the Titan, but that was before VW was caught cheating.

Toyota does have a newer 4 cylinder diesel that they use overseas in some trucks and SUVs. I think the Tundra is too big for it, and it is more likely to show up in the Tacoma.

xcel, BillLin and seftonm like this.
  9. seftonm

From what I read, the 5L Cummins has had more than its share of problems, it's probably good that Toyota didn't go with it. Toyota has a 4.5L V8 twin turbo diesel overseas in the Land Cruiser, that's probably the closest fit for the Tundra.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

The Ford F-150 has been named the most popular vehicle among America’s active and retired military service members, according to an analysis of former and active-duty military personnel using United Services Automobile Association’s car buying service.

2018 Ford F-150

[​IMG]

According to Jimmy Spears, auto analyst for USAA, a financial services group, Ford F-150 was the No. 1 purchase choice across all branches of the U.S. military last year.

This is the latest accolade for the new 2018 F-150 lineup, which earned 2018 Truck of Texas and 2018 Motor Trend Truck of the Year recognitions.

USAA is sponsoring military day at the Washington, D.C. auto show.

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

It's official! 22/30 mpg City/Highway rating...

The 2018 Ford F-150’s 250 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque 3.0L V6 Power Stroke turbo diesel engine will be shod with an EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined rating on its Monroney! These are the highest EPA-estimated ratings available on a full-size and fully capable pickup truck anywhere in the world.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch

[​IMG]
    Under the hood is something special.​

These estimates are the result of over a decade of work developing the lightweight high-strength aluminum-alloy body, lighter weight high strength steel frame, an all-new 10-speed automatic, and an engine constructed with aluminum heads and components plus a durability tested compacted graphite iron block reducing mass.

The all-new F-150 Power Stroke also includes best-in-class 1/2-ton turbo diesel towing cap of 11,400 pounds for towing. The new engine also provides a best-in-class turbo diesel payload of 2,020 pounds on the base trims in 2WD fleet configurations and 1,940 pounds for retail applications.

The 2018 F-150 Power Stroke turbo diesel borrowed its commercial-grade technology from the Super Duty’s 6.7L V8 Power Stroke. The 2018 Ford F-150 with all-new 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel should reach Ford dealerships by late May.

With this release, I suspect the 19 mpg highway rated (our own testing) 2017/2018 Nissan Titan with the 5.0L Cummins V8 and the 20/27 mpg city/highway rated 2018 RAM 1500 with the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel will experience a significant reduction in demand.

Wayne

BillLin and seftonm like this.
  12. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I read elsewhere that the 4x4 does not impress as much in the MPG ratings. I hope people will buy the 4x2!

xcel likes this.
  13. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I’d like to get excited, but the 4wd version is rated at 25 mpg highway.... which puts the 2wd 30 mpg in question o_O?

(pssst ....i’m not sure I believe it)

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  14. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Here's one explanation.

https://carbuzz.com/news/2019-ford-f-150-diesel-gets-30-mpg-highway-but-there-s-a-catch

"The discrepancy, he found, had to do with a combination of factors. The 4x4 system adds extra driveline drag and increased overall vehicle weight. The two-wheel-drive model is also fitted with a taller 3.31 final drive ratio and all-season tires on 20-inch wheels, while 4x4 models run a shorter 3.55 final drive, sit on all-terrain tires with grippier treads and receive a “Torque on Demand” transfer case. These differences, along with possible aerodynamic changes, conspire to drag down highway fuel economy figures by 5 mpg in 4x4 models. "

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  15. xcel

Hi Bill:

The author does not know much about the real world differences. 5 mpg is to high no matter how it is equipped.

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  16. xcel

Hi All:

Saying the above, this could prove to problematic for the Iconic Dearborn automaker. If the 3.0L V6 Power Stroke TD does not provide much real world efficiency beyond that of the current 3.5L EcoBoost, it leaves a lot of room for the upcoming 19 Silverado's 3.0L I6 Duramax to come in and sweep up. Sweep up meaning wipe the floor with both the RAM 1500 with the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel and the Ford F-150 with the new 3.0L V6 Power Stroke.

I re-watched the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado reveal from the 2018 Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) last night and the presenting Exec had a smile on his face when he was hinting that the efficiency of the Silverado TD will easily top the new Ford TD. The 3.0L Power Stroke pre-EPA homologation 30 mpg estimate had already been hinted at prior to Chevrolet's own presentation.

If the GM I6 TD follows the RAM 2500/3500 Cummins I6 TDs real world efficiency, it should top the segments EPA highway results AND real world by > 10 percent. 1.10*30 mpg = xx.x mpg. You know where I am going with this. ;)

2019 Chevrolet Silverado

[​IMG]
    Soon to be available w/ a 3.0L I6 Duramax turbo diesel.​

Wayne

wxman and BillLin like this.
  17. xcel

Hi All:

I have read a few of the reviews of the 2018 F-150 with the 3.0L Power Stroke and there is little to hang ones hat on. The best I saw was an outlet that achieved 34.6 mpg indicated over a non-described drive with no elevations or distances indicated. The short lead was held at Colorado elevations and should have been blow out good. Given my experience with the 3.0L V6 TD mated to a wide ratio 8-speed AT in the Jaguar SE and Range Rover Sport, it was one hell of a drivetrain but it appears to be falling way short in the 2018 Ford F-150?

2018 Ford F-150 3.0L Power Stroke

[​IMG]

The 3.0L Power Stroke engine was changed from the Jag/Land Rover - built in the same England factory - offering in that the intake has been straightened, the mounts were changed, there is only a single cooling circuit vs. two cooling circuits, the Turbo is on the other side, the intakes have sleeves to reduce noise, and the oil pan has been reshaped. What is really interesting is Ford somehow installed the 3.0L Power Stroke with just a 40 lb weight increase over the award winning 3.5L Twin Turbo V6 EcoBoost!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.