2018 Ford F-150 With The 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jan 8, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The most anticipated 2018 MY full size pickup hands down!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 8, 2017

2018 Ford F-150 w/ the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Meet the all-new 2018 MY Ford F-150 with the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel mated to an all-new 10-Speed AT. Its 250 hp and 440 lb.-ft of torque, 11,400 pounds of towing cap and 2,020 pounds of payload are all extremely noteworthy. Its estimated 30 mpg highway rating is however “DA BOMB”!!!

Ford announced this morning that its 2018 MY F-150 with the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel will soon become the sixth engine choice for future F-150 owners. Oh, and Auto Start-Stop is also standard. :)

Ford’s All-new 3.0L V6 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Design

The F-150 Power Stroke turbo diesel is said to shares much of the commercial-grade technology from the brands F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7L V8 Power Stroke.

The very same Ford powertrain team that designed and engineered the 6.7L Power Stroke in-house was responsible for engineering and adapting the all-new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 turbo diesel to the 2018 MY F-150.

2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

[​IMG]

Peak torque is available at just 1,750 rpm will make this turbo diesel a joy to drive.

Moving beyond the capability and into the construction detail, a super strong yet light compacted-graphite iron block and forged-steel crank are the foundation for multi-hundreds of thousands of miles rated engine.

To reduced turbo lag, a high-efficiency variable-geometry turbocharger was incorporated. The common-rail runs at an ultra-high 29,000 PSI with multiple injections per compression stroke to reduce consumption and emissions while also providing lower NVH.

Dual fuel filters are added for improved break-in and long-term reliability while a cast-aluminum oil pan and two-stage oil pump mean reduces parasitic loss and improves efficiency.

The all-new 3.0L also features a premium mechanical engine-driven fan and dual radiator shutters for improved high temperature, high-altitude performance vs. an electric cooling fans used by competitors. While under light load, the Power Stroke engine control system backs off the fan load through a viscous coupler and closes the two radiator shutters for improved aerodynamic efficiency and reduced parasitic engine losses.

A standard 10-speed AT maximizes efficiency and performance and in lightly loaded driving non-sequentially select the right gear ratio based on demand.

2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Highlights and Power/Torque curve

[​IMG]

Underneath is all F-150

The 3.0L Turbo diesel and 10-speed AT are a major part of the story but like all well designed trucks, the chassis that carries and tows the mass must be up to the task as well. Ford utilizes the high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, to reduce the vehicles curb weight while increasing both towing and payload without sacrifice.

For 2018, Ford has added even stronger axles coupled with the fully boxed, 95+ percent high-strength steel frame.

Arrival This Spring

In mid-January, Ford dealers will begin taking orders for the 2018 F-150 with all-new 3.0L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel with customer delivery scheduled sometime this spring.

The 3.0L Power Stroke turbo diesel engine will be available on all F-150 trim levels with SuperCrew 5.5-foot or 6.5-foot bed configurations and SuperCab trucks with the 6.5-foot bed.

30 mpg highway is eye opening? A 45+ mpg target will be extraordinary. In either case, it will be a good year for pickup truck fans and especially enthusiast loyal to the Ford brand in particular.

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I see a timing belt in the photo. Not a big deal for me because I'm not considering an F-150 anytime soon, and I often don't put enough mileage on my vehicles to get to the point where a belt would require replacement. But the belt may be a downside to some customers when compared to the EcoDiesel's timing chain.

I think we should do another camping adventure ;)

phoebeisis, BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm-
    Does the Dodge 3.0 TD have a belt or chain??
    This Ford-slightly better HP TQ than the 8speed AT 3.0 TD V6 Ram-
    Smart move IF it is as reliable as a spark ignition engine-
    And not TOO much more expensive
    Guessing FORD learned the lessons from their 2004 6.0 Powerstroke that was partially designed by NAVSTAR- and had reliability problems

A TD like this makes sense-IF it gets significantly better FE than their big brothers-and if it is MUCH-$15,000 or more -cheaper
    I think Wayne got an honest 25-mpg at 60 mph with the HUGE CUMMINS straight six
    The RAM 3.0TD got 40 mpg at 60 mph-so we will see

These 3.0TDs make a LOT more sense than the 5liter TDs which have all the COST of the 6.6 6.7 TDs but just a little bit better FE-

xcel, wxman and BillLin like this.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hey-isn't the RAM 3.0TD rated at 30 mpg-and it reached that mark SEVERAL years ago right?
    Anyone have any idea how reliable the 3.0TD RAM is??
    The knock on Dodge was always poor quality "trim elements"-drivetrains were usually relaible(with the exception of those 1980-1990 minivan ATs) but trim "stuff" broke-maybe other problems also?
    Guessing Dodge is much better now-QC wise.
    Charlie

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Charlie:

The 2016 RAM 1500 HFE with the EcoDiesel was rated at 29 mpg highway. Unfortunately it has not received EPA Conformity for the 2018 MY and thus is still unavailable. :(

With the Ford V6 TD and now 2019 Chevrolet Silverado I6 TD, it will be a good year to inspect and drive the two super trucks.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

If the belt is like the one in Ford's hybrids, it is a lifetime belt constructed along the lines of the belts in CVT; mostly steel.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The Silverado I6 diesel sounds interesting, I was not expecting them to come out with that.

I wonder if Toyota is going to offer a diesel in the Tundra. Their 5.7 makes decent power but it is a pretty old design and is behind almost everyone on fuel economy.

BillLin likes this.