iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Smartphone Automotive Mount(s) Preview

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Dec 29, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] On the road wireless fast charging? Check. Easy one touch insertion and release? Check. Strong vehicle interior mounting? Check.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 29, 2017

iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless Fast Charging Dash & Windshield Mount.

I requested a few state of the art units to review for a number of reasons... In particular, to test out some items I think many will find instrumental in their decision to consider an iOttie mount for their own vehicles.

In my personal “fleet” of phones, I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S5, S7 Edge, and S8+, all with wireless charging either natively or with an add-on backplate.

What about Qi vs USB charging priority? To disseminate how charge priority of smart Qi charger mount works with Qi charging enabled first, the cable plugged in second – and vice versa, can you control which? Also, can data still be transferred (aka. Android Auto) through to my two Hyundai Android Auto enabled vehicles under the first scenario with an Easy One Touch Wireless Fast Charging mount?

How about the Easy One Touch 4 Mount’s ability to hold my S8+ in temperatures down to 0 degrees that we will experience in Chicago in January?

Finally I would like to see how easily an Easy One Touch 4 Air Vent Mount can be moved from my wife’s 17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited, to my 18 Hyundai Elantra ECO, to my parents 17 Toyota Prius Prime, and finally to my 03 Ford Ranger’s vents without causing any long term issues.

Easy One Touch 4 Air Vent Mount

[​IMG]

We will see if iOttie can provide a few units for a weeks of testing.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  2. Do the vent mounts hold the phones well, without bouncing and rattling?

I've been using a magnet mount for years. But I don't really want to stick the metal tab on the phone i have now - Moto z2 force. Besides, I usually have turbo power pack, or the JBL sound boost 2 on the back of the phone making it a bit heavy for me to be comfortable sticking on a vent clip. Idk though, never tried a vent clip.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

Hi James:

I have seen vent clips actually break individual louvers in the vents in the past due to poor designs. My wife's past on MDX experienced that. The company also offers a CD slot mount - if you have a CD player in your car? In any case, I am not sure how the iOttie vent mounts have changed that equation but I am curious? Vent mounts also restrict flow out of the vent they are attached to. They would keep the phone cool or warm but I understand vents were designed to keep people cool or warm instead. ;)

My main interest in making the request is the smart Qi charger mount and does the Qi charger or USB cable take priority depending on plug-in sequence and when the smartphone is on the Qi charger, do the Samsungs llow data transfer for Android Auto's Google Maps, WAZE, and Pandora to the main display?

The second Easy One Touch 4 Mount just looks robust as hell while offering all kinds of extension and rotation utility. I hope that proves to be the case in the real world.

I am also curious as to how much does the non-reusable bottom rubber dash mount cost? I should have asked them that question when I sent in the request?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. xcel

Hi All:

Looking at Amazon, the dashboard pad can be purchased in two different formats.

iOttie Adhesive Dashboard Pad

[​IMG]
    Semi-permanent single use adhesive and Reusable at $5.99 and $6.95 respectively.​

Strength & Flexibility - The Adhesive Dashboard Pad combines strength and flexibility. The soft material of the pad can bend so that it can more easily fit onto curved surfaces. On the underside of the pad is a high quality acrylic tape which provides a strong grip on dashboards. These two features allow the Adhesive Dashboard Pad to hold onto almost all Dashboard Surfaces.

Universal Compatibility - This Adhesive Dashboard Pad is compatible with all iOttie Dashboard mounts for smartphones. To install; first select the location you would like to apply and clean to remove any dust or debris. Peel the plastic cover off the Adhesive Dashboard Pad and put onto dash, rubbing firmly over surface to ensure a strong adhesive grip.

Semi-Permanent, not Reusable - The Adhesive Dashboard Pad is a semi-permanent solution which once removed cannot be reapplied. This allows for a stronger grip to your desired mounting location, holding fast to your dashboard until you need to remove it. Let the adhesive set for 30 minutes before installing Dashboard Mount. For initial installation, we recommend that Dashboard and Adhesive Dashboard Pad be above 40° F.

Reading through a few of the end user reviews, the reusable pad appears to have problems with extreme heat that a car in warmer climates may experience.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  5. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Keep an eye on current draw and see if your phone is getting enough juice via the QI pad to maintain state of charge. One thing I can tell you is on my Nexus 6 if the USB is plugged in the QI pad is disabled.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck:

Thanks for your experiences. Are you using an Ottie Qi chargers or something else in your car?

I have read customer feedback on Amazon and none have had any problem with the phone fast charging in the cradle while on the road. If the supplied 12V to dual 5V USB step down power adapter is good for up to 15W per the latest Qi specification vs. 4.99W for previous Qi hardware, fast charging with less power loss and heat is probably a guarantee? iOttie has not posted much about the output of their power adapter or the Qi charger output other than you should use their adapter, it is a fast charger with up to a 40 percent increase in charge rate - read 1.4 to 1.5 amps possibly???, and the Qi charger cradle has ventilation ports to prevent excessive heat buildup. I am sure their power adapter requirement is for higher power output to the Qi charger to enable fast charging? Probably a 10W unit per the infographic detail posted directly below?

iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless Fast Charger Internals

[​IMG]

The disabling of data or Qi charging is a question I have while using a number of phones. I have read online that there "may" be a priority for enabling. At least with some Samsung Phones. If you begin Qi charging first and plugin for data to the car, Qi charging will take precedent with data still output to the car. If you plugin to the car first and place it in the charger second, slow charging will occur off the USB cord and Qi charging will be disabled. That is only what I read about one users experience with a Galaxy S7 IIRC?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

There is also the "Uber" - no pun intended ;) - stylish, iOttie ITAP series of mounts including a wireless fast charger with internal fan and the same charge specs as the iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless Fast Charger detailed above. The company offers a non-charging dash and vent mount for this attractive mount as well. In addition, the magnetic grab looks appears to align itself automatically for the optimal charging position that you setup when installing the backing plate to begin with.

While some thinner cases can be used with the ITAP wireless charger, I am not sure this will work for the vast majority that protect our phones with thicker cases for drop and scratch protection. Another question is how easy can the smartphone be removed from the magnetic hold? One hand operation or two? Over time will you pull the mount off the dash as it takes some force to break away from the permanent magnets?

The owner/designer of iOttie appears to be the sharpest cookie in the smartphone mount business with exclusive mounting methods, excellent functionality, and dare I say superior aesthetic design. Given the company’s product evolution, I can all but guarantee that he or she has either worked out the magnetic hold and release obstacle or is working on a new one now if in fact it is an issue for some users.

iOttie ITAP Wireless Dash Mount

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This unit retails for $79.95 and is one of the slickest looking wireless chargers I have seen both for in the home and on the road.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

I have one built into my car and a home charging pad. Neither provide particularly large amounts of current. I think 500 ma is the limit. I wanted to be able to use an external USB thumb drive with an OTG cable to carry a lot of music in the car, but then found out I would not be able to charge with QI if I plugged the thumb drive in. (with an OTG cable.)

xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. xcel

Hi All:

With no reply from iOttie, I ordered an Easy One Touch 4 std. mount for the Elantra. I hope it is a good one?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Do they have a unit without wireless charging?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. xcel

Hi Neil:

Yes they do. I ordered one and should have it here in another day or two to see how robust or useful it is.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi Neil:

The standard - not wireless charging - iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard and Windshield mount arrived about an hour ago.

From the unboxing, there was a coupon for (2) free audio books from Audible. I wonder if I can add the “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House” as a must listen on my lengthy road trip beginning on the 10th? It may be a while before it goes to audible?

Back to the topic at hand. The iOttie mount is approximately 50 percent smaller than I imagined. Great packaging with simplistic instructions. There is not much to add other than stick the pad on the dash - if you want a dash mount? - place the mount on the pad, and push the locking lever down.

The one-touch mount is pretty darn ingenious and the owner is surely a millionaire because of it. With the arms open, push the phone in and as soon as it touches the backplate, the soft foam pad covered arms close in one the phone and it hold tightly. To release, lightly squeeze the release arms that are now hidden behind the phone and it releases without fuss. You can tip the mount over and shake the hell out of it and the phone - my S8+ in this instance - is not coming out. There is an adjustable two pronged foot to support the phone from the bottom that allows 1/2 of an inch of vertical adjustment within the padded arms.

It is adjustable in the vertical about 110 degrees in total with the phone locked in the cradle. Meaning it can be rotated with the phone facing down about 20 degrees to the phone facing toward the front windscreen and upside down. I am not sure what that capability will add in the future but after a few days, I might find a use for that?

The phone angle can be adjusted about 90 degrees in the vertical - facing straight forward to facing straight up when mounted within the cradle and 90 degrees side to side, 45 to the left and 45 to the right, before locking it down at the angle you want.

An finally it can be extended outwards almost 3 inches with a slick lock down slider adjustment.

Without having actually used it in the various vehicles with a variety of phones cars yet, the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard and Windshield mount is really slick!

Negatives?

The one-touch system locks in quickly and jiggle free but I found the phones case backing not touching the actual back of the mount. I had to manually position it for an even better and what I deem more secure fit. My use of the term secure is a misnomer of sorts however because the phone was not coming out of the cradle even with the very basic one-touch system grabbing hold.

With a larger smarpthone like my S8+ weighing in at almost 5.5 ounces along with maybe 1.5 ounces for the one-touch cradle, there is a lot of mass hanging off the end of the mount. As a dash mount, I wish it were counterbalanced and it most certainly could be given the way the lower mount arm is designed. Counter balanced meaning as it sits on the dash, if it were balanced, there would be no moment trying to pull the dash mount from the dash itself. As a window mount, there is a lot of mass and a much larger moment hanging off that small suction cup. Regardless, if it holds from either the dash or the windscreen, it holds. If it does not, it does not. I have a 6,000 mile drive coming up and I will let you know one way or the other in both positions with my largest phone attached.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  13. xcel

Hi All:

I just went out and installed the iOttie semi-permanent pad to the dash - make sure you mount it either to the left or right of your center display as you still have your sync/charge cord hanging down and you want it out of the way. You can also install it on the left side - drivers side dash and route the cord to your USB/12V outlets wherever they are located. Either way, do not block your center display like I almost did before pulling the plastic off the sticky side of the dash pad.

With the semi-permanent pad mounted to the dash and the sticky suction cup mounted to that it will never go anyway. I had to pull like hell to get the Mount to release from that dash pad. This side of a head on, it is not going to come off.

My only concern right now is will the mount vibrate? That remains to be seen and I will report back after my first drive with it mounted in the Elantra with my S8+ onboard. I will post some pics soon too.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
    BillLin likes this.