Car and Homeowners Insurance - Savings after a few clicks of the mouse

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Dec 27, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

While setting up the 2018 Hyundai Elantra ECOs automobile insurance, there can be a huge difference between companies and states.

We are currently covered under the AAA rated Amica insurance here in Calif. on the 03 Corolla, 13 Prius PHEV, and 17 Sonata Hybrid with the following limits:

Liability: 250,000/500,000/100,000
    Medical: 5,000
    Uninsured: 250,000/500,000
    Collision: $1,000 deductible except for the 03 Corolla with Uninsured Property at $3,500
    Repair Transportation: $30/day and $900 max
    Waiver of Collision Deductible: Sonata and Prius Prime
    Full glass coverage <--- That is being removed!!!

The above costs the following:

AMICA out of California

2003 Toyota Corolla - $520.85/yr will stay the same at $520.85/yr <-- Mark
    2013 Toyota Prius PHEV - $1,334.80/yr will go up by $209.61/yr to $1,544.41/yr <-- Scott
    2017 Hyundai Sonata HEV - $928.15/yr will go down by $143.91/yr to $784.24/yr <-- Marian

Adding the 2018 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition at 15k miles per year will add $865.12/yr ($432.06/6-months) <-- Wayne

Amica Homeowner and Auto comes to $3,960/yr with the Elantra added.

With essentially identical policies from the other majors listed below, my just completed our 3-year review looks like this incl. the new 18 Elantra.

Nationwide Homeowner and Auto: $4,111.40/yr
    Amica Homeowner and Auto: $3,960/yr
    AARP/Hartford Homeowner and Auto: $3,869.58/yr
    Progressive Homeowner and Auto: $3,627.28/yr
    Geico Homeowner and Auto: $3,060.48/yr

I will be moving everything over to Geico just prior to our full policy payment due in late January.

Now for the twist. Since I am registering my car in IL and will be heading their just after the New Year for a few months, I am insuring it with Geico all on its own without multi-car and home in IL. The rate is just $534/yr for the full year for essentially identical coverage vs. the $865.12/yr I would have had to pay in Calif. I was not expecting that.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Doesn't everything cost more in California anyway? Everyone's wealthy and can afford million dollar 3 bedroom 1 bath basic homes, right? (slight exaggeration...)

08EscapeHybrid and xcel like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

$534 sounds good. But what will they charge after two years ? I'm not bad-mouthing GEICO at all ,
    I think all the insurance companies/agents will give you a lowball rate to get you sucked in , then increase it every six months.
    I switched to Farmer's in Jan 2016 after being with Allstate for 15 years. In those two years , Farmer's raised my premiums by >30%.
    I'm looking for new auto/homeowners insurance.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but it appears your liability is low. You appear to only have $100,000 property damage coverage. If you run a truckload of valuable cargo off road, the truck itself is over 100k, not counting the load.If you have no assets, low limits are fine. I personally carry $250,000 PD liability on autos AND a 1 million umbrella policy. I carry 500k on homeowners and umbrella covers it also. I was told this is more important to your financial well being than comprehensive or full coverage to your own auto. My increased liability to my auto policy's cost was low, like $25 to $30 dollars. My annual umbrella is $186 for 1 mil.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

DaveJ , are you sure you're not an insurance agent ?

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

No, but I bought it for about 20 years for the company I worked for. So I learned a little.

08EscapeHybrid, xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Wow, thats a lot of $$.
    I have been with Erie Insurance for over 20 years. I carry
    100/300/100
    medical 5000
    income loss 2500
    Accidental death 5000
    funeral benefit 2500
    uninsured 100/300
    Comp 250 deduct
    collision 500 deduct
    towing and rental.
    I also have my homeowners with Erie.
    Currently paying a little over $2,000 for both auto and homeowners.
    cover 3 cars with full coverage
    2017 Jeep Renegade
    2014 Prius C
    2013 smart fortwo

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. kbergene

kbergene Active Member

I agree with DaveJ on Umbrella Liability coverage. Its forgotten by many, including insurance agents.

I've recently bumped to $2 million and am thinking about $3 million. Premium for that next million is low, but its protecting against the kind of event that would bankrupt my family.

With enough money on the line, the insurance company will bring good lawyers ...

9. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip, got a policy in place over the weekend. $96 for a million dollars worth of coverage, not too shabby. Better to have it and never need it than to need it but not have it. Also looked on my policy and found out I can add AAA for $3 every 6 months. Good to know when Toyota roadside assistance expires this year.

xcel, BillLin and kbergene like this.