Chevrolet to discontinue the Volt

Discussion in 'GM' started by Jay, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Autoline Daily today reported that GM plans to discontinue the Volt in 2022. Sales are down 12% for the year and 33% last month. Apparently the Volt doesn't fit into their plans for more EV models in the future.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

GM just has to use the tech in a CUV form factor, or maybe an intermediate height wagon like the Niro and call it a crossover. :D

xcel and Jay like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI Jay:

The rumors turned out to be true! I am sad to see it go but it has not been a stellar high quality release or an affordable alternative to the Cruze from which it is built. If only... :(

2016 Chevrolet Volt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saying good bye and an end of an era within GM.​

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

2022 is a ways out in car years. Lots can happen.

xcel likes this.
  5. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We have a 2016 Volt with nearly 30,000 miles and 9,000 + miles just on the gas engine. Last trip with nearly 200 miles on the gas engine was over 48 mpg with temps in the 30's to low 40's. This is round trip from sea level where we live to climbing three mountain passes up to 1,642 feet. Thats just on the gas engine as the battery was empty and this is on 87 octane Costco regular gas with 10% ethanol and winter blended gas at that.

With all the money GM threw at the Volt they should keep the science behind it. I would like to see a SUV type vehicle with a 100 mile electric range and a gas engine that can obtain 40 + mpg or so just on gas when the electric runs out.

Unlike most plug in electric vehicles with gas engines the Volt is different. On electric power if you floor it the gas engine will never kick in unless you run out of electricity. The Honda Clarity plug in the gas engine will kick in even with a full charge when you floor it from what I have read.

xcel, puddleglum and BillLin like this.