Week of December 4 to December 10 (Nat’l Avg $2.476)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has dropped another 3.1¢ since last week to $2.476 - this time last year it was $2.179 so it's 13.6% (+29.7¢) dearer.
    Diesel remains almost static at $2.840 (-0.2¢). It's 18.0% (+43.4¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is an increasing 14.7% premium to regular.
    E85 has dropped 1.9¢ to $2.044 - a year ago it was $1.848.

This morning, 2UP, not a bad run, 36 to 40°F, 6mph head/crosswind WSW:
    47.3 / 22.6

Tank up 0.5 at 44.6 / 168.5 / Range 460 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG up 0.1 at 47.2 . DTE469

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks for starting the thread, Gord. Today , 52 deg F wind S17 ( light rain all the way in). 35.0 miles , 62.31 MPG.
    Tank is at 160.4 miles , 64.08 MPG.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Traffic was bad. There's a new street across my route. No, it's a new HIGHWAY. 4 lane 55 mph and we have a stop sign. We were backed up a dozen cars, each waiting for a gap in traffic to cross. Mucho no bueno.

52.8 / 11.5 - school and work this morning.

Tank is steady at 53.3 / 592 mi and the fuel warning light just came on.
    F____|____/E

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

I hate when that happens. Even in our well-established area ( Naperville/Aurora) they are still building new roads. And traffic signals , natch.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  5. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Yeah, same thing happens here too. The really sad part is someone will probably have to die before the powers that be decide a signal light is needed.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  6. PaleMelanesian

I'd be happy for a light. Or a 4-way stop like they had during construction.

puddleglum, BillLin and Gord like this.
  7. New commute from the GFs house is 16 miles one way, 5 stop signs and almost never any traffic on all country 2 lane roads. It's great vs the commute to and from my place, 54 miles one way. Still going to my place about 2 nights a week until it sells

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Truck's been at 7.8mpg. Not looking forward to tomorrow's morning slog through the heart of urbanized Connecticut's commute, though.

Been thinking about grille blocks for the Civic. Considering that there's iPads almost as large as the Civic's radiator, it's shockingly efficient. It takes very little in the way of cold to pull those temperatures down.

9. puddleglum

These small efficient engines don't seem to need a lot of cooling. I'm surprised at how much I have bundled up my Echo and it still just gets warm.

46.6 - 4 mi. to work, -6*C. Only 52 - 4.7 mi. home, -1*C.
    I didn't get the car plugged in at work this afternoon and took a hit for it.
    I haven't been very consistent about recording my trip mileage lately, but most of my trips have all been low to mid 40's. The exceptions are my home trips from work. They have all been running 57-59 with a couple in the 60's (Scangauge numbers) since the weather warmed up a bit the last couple of weeks. While not really accurate, it suggests "plugging in" is helping my short commutes 10-15%.

Gord, BillLin and jcp123 like this.
  10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

True. My Echo was similarly a cold runner in winter; I literally blocked the radiator off with cardboard in front of the condenser, and it still ran cold. Figured it was because mine was a ghetto special and lacked the lower engine cover.

If you've ever looked at a Civic's setup, you'll see a radiator stage right and the condenser stage left. It ran 5-10* warmer than the Echo during the summer, so I'm a bit surprised that with the lower engine cover and tiny rad it runs as cool as it does.

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  11. Gord

Detour #7 last night, unfortunately hit a big queue on the underpass before the motorway which meant 20+ stop/start crawls. Also hit a further queue on second part of journey - more crawling, milder 50°F, 6mph tailwind W:
    39.7 / 23.0

This morning, big queue to traffic light section meant a detour was required :rolleyes:, 46°F, 9mph headwind W:
    45.9 / 23.0

Tank down 0.6 at 44.0 (FCD 46.4) / 214.5 / Range 405 . Guess gauge F__««|««««E . UG down 0.9 at 46.3 / DTE 411

Lost second pip @ 214 miles

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 35 deg F wind WSW20 (wow). 35.0 miles , 62.22 MPG. Tank is at 229.9 miles , 63.05 MPG.
    I will schedule an oil change and tire rotation for Thursday. I will have very close to 60K miles.

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  13. PaleMelanesian

jcp, when I had the Civic I would keep half the radiator blocked all the time, and only open the radiator side in summer.

Filled up last night.
    595 miles
    11.237 mi
    52.95 mpg

Then 55.0 / 11.5 to school and work this morning.

Gord, jcp123, puddleglum and 2 others like this.
  14. puddleglum

Another mediocre mileage morning but amazingly warm, 34*F. 40.3 - 4 miles. Headwind 15 gusting to 25, traffic caused me to miss a couple of lights. Then half way to work my muffler snapped off, broke my concentration. Really odd, no warning or noise. Was fine, shut down to coast to a light, restarted and sounded like a tuner car. Managed to weld it up after work so not terribly serious. Trip home was much better. 59 - 4.7 mi. 34*F

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  15. PaleMelanesian

The drivers out there are nuts right now! What is it about December that makes people so crazy. They usually seem to settle down in January again.

50.5 / 5.3 - home last night
    54.4 / 11.4 - school and work this morning

Tank is at 53.6 / 42 mi.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wasn't able to get on weather.com this morning , but it was fairly cold , around 28 F. I senses some wind from the north from looking at my instant FCD.
    35.1 miles , 60.54 MPG. Tank is at 298.9 miles , 62.50 MPG. Staying at my friend's tonight , so a shorter (16.2 mile) non-highway trip in the morning.

Gord, BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  17. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

The force is strong with this one... :)

Gord likes this.
  18. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Hmm, that's something to consider.

Don't ask about the truck...back and forth through Boston and Connecticut, with numbers which reflect that.

19. Gord

Traffic didn't look as bad as it's been lately on normal route last night so back to detour #2, although not great used about 15% less fuel than Monday night as it's much shorter than detour #7, 47°F, 10mph tail/crosswind WSW:
    41.3 / 20.3

This morning, massive queue on usual slip road off motorway so carried on to next junction, not as good for FE (big hill) but at least it was moving!. 46°F, 9mph head/crosswind WSW:
    44.6 / 22.7

Tank down 0.2 at 43.8 (FCD 46.2) / 257.5 / Range 355 . Guess gauge F__««|««««E . UG down 0.6 at 45.7 / DTE 361

Temperatures are forecast to plummet from tomorrow night, could go below 30°F and snow! Storm on the way....

BillLin likes this.
  20. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Oh, joy. Short haul here in Connecticut in the morning. That'll be GREAT for my fuel economy...I get a lot of crazy stuff (like this load, there's more to the story) when I'm in the northeast.