My new ride.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Blackbelt, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

It's a 1989 Nissan Pao. It's a JDM car that never made it to the states.,
    Powered by a 52 HP 1.0 liter 4 cylinder. Currently has around 77K miles. Yep, it's right hand drive.
    Looking forward to taking this to the local cruises next year and driving the Camaro and Mustang guys crazy when it draws the crowds..LOL

pao1.jpg pao.jpg pao.jpg

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Blackbelt:

Now that is a car you do not see every day! As in Never! :)

Wayne

08EscapeHybrid and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It looks older than 1989. It looks more like 60s.

BillLin likes this.
  4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Lovely outdoor hinges!

Is it driveable?

BillLin likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Gotta love those vintage luggage hinges on the hatch. Just like my 1975 Fiat , the hood is hinged in the front.

Except for being too tall ( I assume) this is a nice car.

BillLin likes this.
  6. RedylC94

... and like your GLC, and late-1950s Fords.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    BillLin likes this.
  7. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I'm jealous. I've kinda wanted one for a while. It'd fit into my Jalopnik-esque garage right between the Omni GLHS and Lada Niva.

BillLin likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

The GLC was hinged in the front ? Wow , I totally forgot about that.

BillLin likes this.
  9. Dorean Clarke

Dorean Clarke Member

Classic!!!

BillLin likes this.
  10. Blackbelt

It was designed for "retro" looks, and was made for 3 years, 1989-1991. Mechanical s were based on the Nissan Micra. It has plenty of room inside. Yes, it is derivable, i just have to wait for my classic car insurance to be approved, then i go to the notary and transfer the MD title to a PA Antique title. Then i can legally drive it. It seems to run pretty good for a 1L carbed car.
    The rear end is clamshell.

BillLin likes this.
  11. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Wait, carb'd? I'm sorta familiar with these but didn't realize it lacked fuel injection...

BillLin likes this.
  12. Blackbelt

Yep, It's got one of them old fashioned carb thingy s...LOL
    A few more picts. The CFL's in my garage aren't the best for pictures.
    I am also kicking around picking up a Kei vehicle. 660CC's max. pao front.jpg pao roof.jpg pao int.jpg pao rear.jpg pao passenger.jpg

Jay and BillLin like this.
  13. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I'm digging the automatic transmission. Considering you and I are close to the same basic size, I was wondering how you fit in a small JDM car that was designed around the native adults who rarely stand more than 5-1/2 feet tall. In the little cars, I can't raise my long leg high enough to step on a clutch pedal (in a left hand drive car) because the knee jams between the steering wheel and the door. Automatic solves that problem, as would the right hand drive - at least until you have to move the lever toward you into the space already occupied by your leg. But you still feel like you're wearing the little car rather than sitting inside.

I saw a Pao online in one of those articles detailing the ways JDM minicars can be imported as long as they're more than 25 years old. Cute little car, and definitely the center of attention whenever it's around anyone who has any remote interest in cars. Next car to add to the collection is the little Honda Beat convertible. Park it in the same garage spot nose to nose with the Smart - two cars in the place of one.

BillLin likes this.
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

I like that HUGE cassette deck/radio mounted on a bracket where a console would be on real cars.
    I think it might be one of those steam-powered stereos.
    This car is sufficiently funky.

Jay and BillLin like this.
  15. Blackbelt

I actually am fairly comfortable once behind the wheel. Getting in is something i need to get used to. I have to put my left leg in first, then sort of drop myself in the rest of the way. My wife and i were looking at both the Kei pickups and microvans. The pickuo would be almost impossible for me to drive for the reasons you stated. The van is doable. A beat would be awesome. It would fit in tandem with the smart, the 2 vehicles totaling under 20' with space between the 2.
    The retro styled radio is pretty interesting, as are the various toggle switches.

BillLin likes this.
  16. RedylC94

Problem with the hood latch?
    What's the gizmo on the upper left of the dash?

BillLin likes this.
  17. Blackbelt

No not at all, i am not driving the car but am working on it so i didn't close the hood completely. The day after i took these pictures, for example, i replaced the horn which was not working.
    That is a cupholder that a previous japanese owner attached to the dash. Creative people....

RedylC94 and BillLin like this.