Motor Trend 2018 SUV of the Year: 2018 Honda CR-V

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 29, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A modern CUV that excels in every category.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Nov. 28, 2017

2017 Honda CR-V

[​IMG]

Los Angeles, California -- Motor Trend has just awarded Honda its 2018 SUV of the Year award for the superlative 5th generation CR-V while up against 25 of the best CUVs and SUVs on the planet.

MT chose the CR-V because of its advanced design, safety features, engineering excellence, efficiency and value.

In our own drive of the AWD 2017 Touring trim, it proved it not only had the right stuff with 37.6/75.8 cu ft. (seats up/seats down) of cargo volume, it included Android Auto, the award-winning ACE body structure and the full Honda Sensing suite including the following features:
    • Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
    • Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
    • Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
    • Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
    • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
    • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow
    • Blind Spot Information System (BSI) with Cross Traffic Monitor
    • Auto High-Beams
    From my own perspective, the 58 mpg drive between LA and San Diego and the Speed vs FE chart shows the 27/33 mpg rated 190 hp and 179 lb-ft of torque 1.5-T through a wide ratio CVT to so under rated it is almost a disservice to Honda as to how efficient this CUV actually is. So much so there is nothing we have driven that is within 10 percent of its capability!

What is the most efficient AWD vehicle available in North America today?

2017 Honda CR-V 1.5T

[​IMG]

Final fill at Del Mar, Calif. Shell – 56.5 mpg actual over 104.0 miles during Southern California’s afternoon rush hour!​
    The 2018 Honda CR-V is manufactured at three Honda plants in North America, in East Liberty, Ohio; Greensburg, Indiana; and Alliston, Ontario. Its 1.5-liter turbocharged engine and automatic transmission are manufactured by Honda in Anna, Ohio and Russells Point, Ohio, respectively.

Honda said they have sold more than 4.2 million CR-Vs in America since its U.S. introduction in 1997, making it the top selling SUV in America over the course of 20 years.

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Fine, but I'd rather have an HR-V (which I recently test drove). Smaller and more compact but still with tons of room inside, great cornering for an SUV, decent mpg, lower price at just $20k, and still available with an MT.

Before anyone tells me why I'm supposedly wrong, I'm already quite well aware that most people don't share my preference.

xcel and BillLin like this.