GE to Deliver 650 MW of Onshore Wind Turbines to Sweden

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 179 of the most advanced 3.6 MW wind turbines are readying to go up!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Nov. 27, 2017

[​IMG]

GE and the Green Investment Group have partnered in a 50/50 business arrangement to deliver and operate 650-MW of onshore wind in Northern Sweden. The project will be the largest single site onshore wind farm in Europe, increasing Sweden's installed wind generation by more than 12.5 percent. The equity partners raised approximately $950 million USD in financing and have commenced construction of the project, which is expected to begin producing its first amp in the second half of 2018 and be fully operational by the end of 2019.

GE Renewable Energy will supply 179 of its 3.6 MW turbines with 448 ft. rotors, a turbine ideally suited for the project site's wind speeds and climate. The turbine blades will be equipped with an innovative ice mitigation system by LM Wind Power, ensuring a stable level of availability and reduced downtime. GE is also providing a 20-year Full Service Agreement, and through its Grid Solutions business, will provide the high voltage switchgear for two collector substations at the wind farm.

[​IMG]

Project Financing

GE Energy Financial Services and Green Investment Group ("the Sponsors") have jointly acquired the project from Svevind and invested more than $357 million USD in equity to finance the wind farm. The transaction is Green Investment Group's first equity investment following its acquisition by Macquarie and its first investment outside of the United Kingdom. For GE, it represents GE Capital's strategy to invest in and structure financing solutions in support of GE in key global growth markets.

The Sponsors' financial advisory teams sought a mix of funding from development institutions, the export-credit market and commercial banks familiar with the Nordic energy market. The project was financed on a non-recourse project financing basis with close to $595 million USD in debt financing secured from European Investment Bank (EIB), Export Credit Guarantees of the Federal Republic of Germany (Hermes Cover), NordLB (acting as MLA advisor and ECA bank), KfW IPEX-Bank and HSH Nordbank.

GE and Green Investment Group originated and structured a 19-year fixed volume Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with a subsidiary of Norsk Hydro, one of the largest aluminum producers in the world. The PPA enables Norsk Hydro to fix the price of a significant portion of the electricity demand for their Norwegian aluminum manufacturing facilities, producing approximately 110,000 tons of aluminum per year. NEAS Energy (part of Centrica plc) will provide an innovative structure for the sale of Elcerts (renewable energy certificates), balancing and hedging services for Markbygden ETT. The PPA is understood to be the largest corporate wind energy PPA in the world.

Green Investment Group conducted a green impact assessment on the project, using the green reporting approach set out in its Green Investment Handbook.

The Markbygden ETT project was developed over 15 years by Swedish wind developer Svevind. In total, its development work in the Markbygden area may lead to 1,101 wind turbines becoming operational, in what would be the largest collection of wind farms in Europe. The project will be realized on properties owned by Sveaskog Förvaltnings AB, Sweden's largest forest owner, SCA Skogsfastigheter AB, the largest private forest holding in Europe, and several private property owners.

Anyone want to consider another clean big power method to power a future electric car?

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It doesn't get much better than this.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow
    Where are the components manufactured?
    137 meter hub height-400-450 feet above the water-
    DOUBLE WOW
    How deep is the water where they are anchored?
    How far offshore?
    Just how do you anchor something that tall with those sorts of forces-wind waves current?
    USA- has the most "useable wind potential" of any country on earth-
    lotta coastline sea conditions weather conditions not too bad
    and our offshore potential is reasonably NEAR big cities-huge population centers

Unfortunately we also have LOTS of cheap fossil fuel-(biggest coal reserves-and more NG being made available)

I love wind farms-the ones in TX (1-40 AND I-10) are really SCI-FI looking at night in thunderstorms-strobing etc

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Charlie, I believe the key word in the article is "onshore"...

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi Charlie and Bill:

Almost 4 MW per wind turbine is huge! And like everyone else, how the heck does a hub that maybe just 10' diameter hold blades that are 225' long, probably weigh 5-tons apiece, and each has to transmit 1.25 MW into that transmission?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

What (minimum?) wind velocity does that rating assume? Output is bound to be a lot lower in lesser winds.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. xcel

Hi RedylC94:

According to the wind class scale, a 16.8 mph wind will bring about full power output.

Wind Class

Wayne

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  8. phoebeisis

Billln-
    Right you are-whenever I see those Nordic and various Limey Euros talking WIND power
    I just assume they are anchoring them offshore-
    no noise complaints -perhaps lower bird losses- "cheap -free-land"
    and my suspicion is the wind MIGHT be more reliable
    Guessing placing them onshore-perhaps in front of some mountain pass-probably kills more birds
    Birds-migrating-probably use mountain passes -just like humans-

Of course expensive to anchor and potentially horrible weather-waves winds etc- N Atlantic miserable weather

But yep-I saw OFFSHORE-when it was clearly onshore

My guess is bird killing- and whining too affluent residents(like the Lexus Liberals that delayed the installation off the upper E coast-maybe off Cape Cod ?-Kennedy clan etc)might drive our-USA- wind farms-offshore
    Kennedy's-my fellow Micko-Americans-miserable bunch (several rapists and at least one murderer) -complained about that offshore wind farm-actually had the nerve to say it "ruined their view"

Like those poor W Vir. Kentucky coal mine country folks had a great VIEW- to enjoy while spitting up their lungs-
    Miserable greedy SOBs-actually sailing-?? you would have thought descendants of Irish immigrants would have avoided sail boats-
    But I also would have thought they would avoid potatoes(we ate them every freakin' day when I was a kid-never good fried ones-usually boiled)

Oh well I'm in full crazy mode this am-sorry about the OFFSHORE ONSHORE
    Charlie

BillLin likes this.
  9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Missed your rants, Charlie. :D

phoebeisis likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

No one rants like Charlie. He says the things others dare not say.

Our dear departed Herm was pretty good , too.

That may have been before your time , Bill.

I checked with my son-in-law and he says "limey" is not an acceptable name for a British subject.

But (like ALL men ) I've been known to exhibit inappropriate behavior now and then. Sorry, ladies.

And it's common knowledge that the Kennedy's (and the Clinton's , Trump's , Obama's - did I fail to offend everyone? ) are all rapists or murderers.

Good thing I'm apathetic and apolitical. No one can offend me !

phoebeisis and BillLin like this.
  11. phoebeisis

Edwin Billin
    Hey so I can't call those murderous subjects of that German queen Limey's!!
    The same people who HUNG(richly deserved) Cromwell(one of their HEROS) 3 years after his death!!
    Yeah they dug Cromwell up (typical hypocritical murderous religious fanatic)
    3 YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH-
    and HUNG him!!
    They Brits-could give ISIS lessons in STRANGE over the top brutality(how they "offed" that scot-wallace)
    They also fought 2 WARS for the FREE MARKET RIGHT to POISON China with Opium
    Also managed to get a war for independence(by the poor chinese) called the BOXER REBELLION
    And another war-same type-the Sepoy rebellion(tied soldiers to the muzzles of cannon)
    Geez those Brits-no doubt Taught their sour kraut eating COUSINS Propaganda-

Besides -to paraphrase Roy Moore's wife -"my favorite fruit are Limes"-
    No kidding I eat an entire lime -cut up-skinned-in my tea everyday-
    so I could certainly argue that Limey is a very mild slur.
    And in the case of the Brits-richly deserves
    Heh-they INVENTED modern-ish day "ethnic cleansing" our Acadians can attests to that
    The list goes on and on and on

Edwin-I actually am just kidding-but my mother(irish ancestry) at least two generations removed from Ireland
    was so anti-brit
    I was 10 years old before i realized we didn't fight the Nazis "JAP-anese" and Bloody Brits in WW2
    Funny-my dad-also a mick-o-american-never had any ill will toward them

Heh-ask Billin he is from MASS. my mother was from Fall River Mass-beat up old mill town at that time-
    and the LOWER-ISH class Irish there have managed to hold onto their Brit dislike for many generations
    Port-u-geese (many in Fall River Mass) also hated the Brits
    Heck EVERY ethnic group HATED the Brits(except their German cousins-Hitler was an Anglophile-)
    Brits even managed to SCREW their Dutch allies-(New Amsterdam=New York)

But in truth I'm kidding-I won't refer to those fine folks as citrus fruits-
    Just Kidding Kidding
    Like I said Limes are my favorite fruit-
    and sour Kraut is ok on hotdogs and Reubens so no particular dislike for their(also) genocidal cousins
    But I ABSOLUTELY refuse to eat frogs(but otherwise I like the french-they won our revolutionary war for us-and they had the good sense to NOT throw in with our NEOCONS when we -Republicans-decided to precipitate the Arab Spring by deposing poor Saddam(a former ally)
    Yeah full CRAZY mode-
    But I am KIDDING-

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    BillLin likes this.
  12. phoebeisis

Herm was a great guy.
    He was also a fan of various guns-(all sorts of machines-just like the rest of us)
    I would kid him that he seemed to favor various "formerly commie pistols" because he-like many MPG fans-was "frugal"=cheap
    He also had one of those pricy dual recoil-recoil-less air rifles that were used in the Olympics
    nice guy

BillLin likes this.