2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Pricing Announced

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 17, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 will go on sale December 1, 2017 at Honda dealerships nationwide.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Nov. 16, 2017

The very well-equipped 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 starts at $34,290 incl. $890 D&H while offering owners 47 miles of all-electric range on a full charge and 44/40/42 mpg (city/highway/combined) rating on gasoline. The Touring trim retails for $37,490.

[​IMG]

Some owners may be able to take advantage of financing and incentives from their local government and utility company, where available, to install an EV charger.

For longer trips, the Clarity PHEV can utilize its atkinsonized 1.5L I4 to generate electricity and, under certain conditions, to act as a direct power source. The Clarity PHEV received an overall EPA driving range rating of 340 miles.

2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Features
    • Proximity Key w/ Pushbutton start
    • TFT Gauge Cluster
    • 8-Speaker Audio
    • Dual-Zone Auto-climate
    • 8.0" Display Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • USB Audio Interface
    • Pandora
    • SMS texting
    • Sirius XM
    • HD Radio
    • Heated Front Seats
    • Multi-Angle Rearview Camera
    • Steering-Wheel Audio Controls
    • Cruise Control
    • HomeLink
    2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Exterior
    • Honda LaneWatch
    • 18" alloys
    • LED auto on/off headlights
    • LED daytime running lights
    • LED taillights
    • Chrome door handles
    • Rain-sensing variable Intermittent windshield wipers
    • Security with Remote Keyless Access
    • Heated Side Mirrors
    2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Interior
    • 60/40 Split Fold-Down Rear Seat
    • Electronic Parking Brake with Brake Hold
    • Rear A/C Vents
    • Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    • Soft-touch Instrument and door panels
    • Floor Mats
    • Sunglasses Holder
    • All Windows Auto-Up/Down
    2018 Honda Clarity PHEV-47 Touring
    • Navigation with Charging Infrastructure Information
    • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    • Driver's Seat with 8-Way Power Adjustment and 2-Position Memory
    • Front Passenger's Seat with 4-Way Power Adjustment
    • Perforated Leather- Trimmed Seats
    • Ultrasuede Interior
    The vehicle's electromotive power comes from a 181-hp electric motor producing 232 lb.-ft. of torque from 0 RPM and drawing power from both the gasoline engine and a 17-kilowatt hour (kWh) battery pack with a recharge time of just 2.5 hours on a Level2 charger. The Clarity PHEV features Honda's two-motor hybrid powertrain that has a total system output of 212 horsepower.

The Clarity PHEV features Normal, Econ, Sport, and HV modes. HV mode maintains the battery's SoC for later use.

The Clarity PHEV joins the very slow selling Clarity Electric and Clarity FCV. Honda has announced its intention for electrified vehicles to comprise two-thirds of its global automobile sales by 2030.

[​IMG]
    An attractive and very well appointed interior is just the start of what this latest electrified Honda has to offer.​

Honda Clarity PHEV-47

The Clarity has a low, wide aerodynamic body with unique design elements, including its own special hero color, and differentiated front styling, headlights, tail lamps, non-compromised trunk space, Honda Sensing is standard as are the 18” wheels.

2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Active Safety
    • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control
    • Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
    • Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
    • Brake Assist (BA)
    • Multi-Angle Rearview Camera w/ Dynamic Guidelines
    • Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    • LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Forward Collision Warning (FCW) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Lane Departure Warning (LDW) (Honda Sensing feature)
    2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Passive Safety
    • Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure
    • Advanced Front Airbags
    • SmartVent Front Side Airbags
    • Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
    • Driver's and Front Passenger's Knee Airbags
    • 3-Point Seat Belts at all Seating Positions
    • Front 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
    • Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH): Lower Anchors (2nd-Row Outboard), Tether Anchors (2nd Row All)
    • Driver's and Front Passenger's Seat-Belt Reminder
    • Child-Proof Rear Door Locks
    2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Driver-Assist Technology
    • Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR) (Honda Sensing feature)
    • Auto High-Beam Headlights
    • Blind Spot Information System (BSI) with Cross Traffic Monitor
    Offering Honda's "fun-to-drive" DNA, each Clarity variant provides a smooth, quiet and highly refined driving experience, aided by the smooth and seamless character of electric drive torque and acceleration. The Clarity series also features advanced technologies, including Display Audio with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration, and the full suite of Honda Sensing safety and driver-assistive technologies.

While the tank size of 7-gallons is small, I am not seeing much to knock this all-new offering from Honda back. I am waiting for the PHEVs EPA cargo volume to be released but it should be ok. The Clarity Electric with the stepped shelf offers 14.3 cu. ft. so the PHEV with half the all-electric range should offer quite a bit more. With the very reasonable upfront base price, 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV owners are also eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500 plus additional state rebates where available. In Calif. for example, the Clarity PHEV is offered with a $1,500 state tax rebate and HOV lane access. Meaning the base price for this fully loaded model comes to just $25,290 + T (on the full purchase) and TL.

Consider this comparison. The 2018 Honda Accord LX w/ the 1.5L-T and CVT starts at $24,460 with a 30/38/33 rating. The fully equipped Clarity PHEV-47 is worth a whole lot more than an $830 upcharge over the very base model Accord! I could learn to enjoy this Honda offering as much as I do the current Civic in fact!

BillLin likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

That is a really great price. 5K less than the last Accord PHEV and in addition the rebate is bit higher. Note green decal HOV access will expire in a year. Not sure if they will extend it.

Don't really care for the design though and wished this would be a true liftback. I believe I've seen a few EV's in the area and not quite my taste.
    The 7 gallon tank is also strange decision but the EV range is great.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne, I think you have an error for the Touring trim price. I believe it's rather 37,490 including dest. charge. So basically 3K for nav. + leather + powered front seats (no lumbar and passenger seat not height adjustable it seems again).

4. xcel

Hi Luke:

I hit the minus key instead of the add key for the $890 D&H. :( Thanks for the heads up and it is fixed now.

Wayne

BillLin and Luke like this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

In like a lamb.

Fuel savings ... at least $750+ a year, probably more. Thermally managed pack with a sizable reserve, .. battery ought to last the life of the car. Possibly the first plug in we've seen that gets to pay-back in a reasonable time. ... and it does it without compromise.

6. xcel

Hi Carcus:

I would provide the Prius Prime some of that adulation as well. While only a 4 seater, it has all the "stuff" and can be picked up for < $20k now.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The Prime has a compromised back seat, a slightly compromised cargo area, and significantly compromised acceleration performance (0 to 60 in 12.2, 50 to 70 in 8.2). Even if it ends up being $5k more, I think most cross-shoppers will choose the Clarity PHEV over the Prime or Volt.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Trollbait and BillLin like this.
  8. xcel

Hi Carcus:

The Primes Cargo volume is much larger than the Accord or Clarity. It will never touch a 180 + hp sedan from 0 to 60 however.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

HI Wayne,

4 adults headed out on a week's vacation .... with comfort in mind --you pick the Prius prime over the clarity PHEV?

10. xcel

Hi Carcus:

Remember reading about my disdain for the Toyota driver seats?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

This is great.
    With 47 miles of EV range, those 7 gallons are going to last quite awhile in the typical daily commute. A larger tank would require a smaller battery or trunk.

For long trips, the 280 miles of gas range is really a bother for highway warriors. For the rest, it just means filling up with every bio break instead of every other one.

BillLin likes this.
  12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Yes, Honda must've maxed out all the space they had.

On the 7 gallon tank, I actually think it's the other way around. In a gas only car, 7 gallons is a pain for commuting, ... every time you're a couple minutes late for work you look down and realize you have to got to the gas station ... again.

For a road trip, that's about 4 hours of driving time. Most people will end up stopping for a break by then, usually at a "gas" station (i.e. Buc-ee's type) wether they need gas or not.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Trollbait and BillLin like this.
  13. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm over-stating (over-enthused) ,... but this one looks to be the first true purpose built PHEV. A car that was designed from the ground up to work/ take maximum advantage of a plug-in hybrid drive train. IOW, they started with the drivetrain and THEN asked, "How can we design the car"? Every other PHEV I can think of started out with another drivetrain in mind and then got altered/adapted to accept the PHEV.

This is a car Honda wants to sell. It's not a compliance car.

BillLin likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi Carcus:

That 7-gallon tank is its Achilles heel. I am still hoping that its trunk does not have the two height box layout like the Clarity BEV too. Than again, an easy 60+ mpg and 420+ miles of range on gasoline and 60 from the pack is fine. :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  15. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Clarity PHEV trunk is mostly flat (there are pictures). C&D says they can only fit 4 rollaboards in a prius prime. I bet they get more in a clarity phev.

"Achilles heel" is being too harsh, .. it won't lead to a downfall -- it's a minor thing.
    Statistically, ... 85%+ of all days in this car will be driven all electric.

Trollbait, BillLin and xcel like this.
  16. xcel

Hi Carcus:

The Prius Prime's hatch is much larger and more usable than any midsize sedan trunk. 4-adults gear for a week will not fit in the Clarity trunk unless it is maybe 16+ cu. ft.? It will in the 19.8 cu. ft. Prime's hatch.

I like sedans more than the hatches but there is a cargo volume and use aspect that cannot be shrugged off. Our 16.3 cu. ft. cargo volume Sonata Hybrid Limited's trunk is darn big but it cannot hold as much as the Prius Prime's I have had at the house.

I made another request for a Clarity earlier today and my fingers are crossed to get into the PHEV as that is the killer platform within the model lineup! A FB friend from California is leasing the Clarity FCV early next year. Good for him too!

Wayne

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Wayne , I'm looking forward to what the Clarity PHEV will do in your hands.

18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

19. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

There's just a lot here to like:

i-MMD which we know can be very efficient -- city driving in the 2.0 version -- 60+ mpg is not a problem in the accord.
    Battery is thermally managed.
    It's got good hp/tq.
    It's got a big trunk.
    It's got a decent pass through.
    It's got a big cabin.
    It'll go 47 miles on electricity.
    It's reasonably priced.
    It's a Honda.

EdwinTheMagnificent, BillLin and xcel like this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

If it wasn't Honda, I'd agree that it is a car they want to sell. Right now I'd say they want to sell it to support their hydrogen FCEV effort.

A hatchback/wagon will always have a flexibility advantage over a sedan when it comes to carrying cargo, but that has the cost of potentially losing the rear view out the back while driving, and while few make the effort, concerns over securing cargo to avoid it flying free in the cabin in the event of a crash.

The Prime's battery placement was extremely amateurish, and is bad as the C-max Energi's, an ICE platform that was converted to hybrid and plug in duties. The raised floor means the luggage for a group of four will likely extend over the seat backs. The Chevy site lists the Volt's cargo volume at about 10 cubic feet; this is likely measured from the floor to the top of the seat backs. The Prime's space there is going to be about the same.