2018 Toyota Prius c Refresh

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Does the term cladding and roof rails mean anything to you?

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Nov. 13, 2017

2018 Toyota Prius c – $21,655 to start including mats and $895 D&H while providing owners with a 48/43 city/highway rating. In our previous drives of the c back in 14 and 15, it proved itself to be the second most efficient vehicle we had driven to that point only being bested by the now defunct Jetta TDI with a stick. Since that time, only the next segment up all-new Hyundai Ioniq and 4th gen Toyota Prius c can unseat it. And they retail for a whole lot more…

2018 Toyota Prius c

[​IMG]

Toyota’s B-Segment hybrid, the Prius c, provides one of the lowest total cost of ownership vehicles available in the U.S. today. For the 2018 MY, a refresh sees a few off-road “like” touches added to this stalwart of low cost transportation.

The 2018 Prius c now includes black roof rails, silver-accented lower body guards, color-keyed rear spoiler and black side rocker and wheel arch moldings with new 15” alloys standard. The body provides a 0.29 coefficient of drag (Cd).

All trims now come standard with an integrated backup camera for 2018 plus Toyota Safety Sense C (TSS-C) including Pre-Collision System (PCS) - automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Alert (LDA), and Automatic High Beams (AHB).

The Prius c provides up to 35-inches of rear seat legroom and the 17.1-cu. ft. cargo volume behind the rear seatbacks. The 87.4 cu. ft. of passenger volume however shows this is a B-segment.

One of the c’s highlights is its very tight Turning Circle with a 31.4 ft. curb-to-curb spec.

Prius c Trims

The Prius c One ($21,655 incl. mats and D&H) - Color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators; tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls; auto climate control; remote keyless entry system with illuminated entry; PWR windows and locks. In addition, a 3.5” full-color TFT Multi-Information Display provides the driver with an outside temperature display, clock, fuel economy information, cruising range, odometer, trip distance, EV miles driven, Hybrid System Indicator, ECO Savings, ECO Score, and energy monitor.

On the infotainment front, standard Entune Audio w/ a 6.1-in. touch-screen display; AM/FM CD player (with MP3/WMA playback capability); four speakers; auxiliary audio jack; USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control; advanced voice recognition and Bluetooth for hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming. Apple iPhone users can speak requests using Siri Eyes Free.

Prius c Two ($22,455incl. mats and D&H) - Two-tone fabric-trimmed seats; six-way adjustable driver’s seat; 60/40 split fold-down rear seats; cruise control, a cargo area cover and engine immobilizer. The cabin includes piano black, chrome and soft-touch upgraded accents, shared with the Three and Four, as well.

Prius c Three ($23,880 incl. mats and D&H) - Adds the Smart Key System on the front doors and liftgate; Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry; and Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite. This comprehensive multimedia system includes everything from the standard setup and adds two more speakers (six total), plus the Entune App Suite; HD radio; HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay; AM/FM cache radio; SiriusXM All Access Radio with three-month complimentary trial; and Gracenote album cover art.

Prius c Four ($25,990 incl. mats and D&H) - Adds LED fog lights and, on the inside, a power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade; SofTex-trimmed seats, plus heated front seats and outside mirrors.

2016 Toyota Prius c Interior

[​IMG]

What’s missing? Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The std. NAVI on 3 and 4 are outdated and these additions to all trims would provide a world class system vs. an also ran.

Prius c Chassis

For 2018, the Prius c rides on a diminutive 100.4" WB. While lively at higher speeds, it handles well at more standard speeds. The hybrid battery and fuel tank are located under the rear seat which helps to improve the handling. For 2018, all-new 15” alloys are standard on all trims. 16” alloys w/ P195/50R16 tires are available for the Prius c Four.

Like many recent Toyota’s, the c arrives LED projector low- and Automatic High Beam headlights and LED tail and brake lights standard. No other OEM offers that except on very expensive luxury automobiles with price tags 3 to 4 times the price of the c or as high trims or as extra expense options.

Prius c Hybrid Drivetrain

Like the rest of the Prius family lineup, the Prius c hybrid system integrates a downsized heavily Atkinsonzed 73 hp and 82 lb.-ft. of torque 1.5L gasoline engine, two electric motors within a continuously variable transaxle, a tried and true nickel-metal hydride battery (4th gen Prius liftback comes equipped with Li-Ion above the 2 trim), a power control unit (inverter), a DC-DC converter, and a step-up converter. A hybrid control computer governs the seamless application of gasoline engine and electric power depending on driving demands and selected drive mode. Total system output of 99 hp provides sub 12 second times to 60 while driving the 2.530 lb B-segment hatch.

Prius c Hybrid Safety

Passively, the 2018 Prius c is equipped with nine airbags includes front, side, driver knee airbag, driver and front passenger seat cushion, and side curtains.

Actively, the c arrives with the Toyota brands Star Safety System which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology (SST), and HillStart Assist Control (HAC).

Toyota Safety Sense-C (TSS-C) features Pre-collision System (PCS), which operates at vehicle speeds of 7 to 85 mph. If PCS determines there is a possibility of a collision, audio and visual alerts prompt the driver to take evasive action and brake. If the driver notices the hazard and applies the brakes, PCS may provide additional braking force using Brake Assist. If the driver does not brake in a set time, and PCS determines that the possibility of a frontal collision with another vehicle is extremely high, the system may automatically apply the brakes, helping reduce speed by approximately 19 mph in order to help the driver lessen the impact and, in certain cases, avoid a collision.

Lane Departure Alert (LDA) is designed to use a camera to detect visible white and yellow lane markings in front of the vehicle and the vehicle’s position on the road. If LDA determines that the vehicle is starting to unintentionally deviate from its lane, the system alerts the driver with an audio and visual alert.

Automatic High Beams (AHB), using an in-vehicle camera to help detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and taillights of vehicles traveling ahead, automatically switches between high and low beams as appropriate to enhance forward visibility.

For 2018, the Prius c can be purchased w/ two new colors, Sandstorm and Tide Pool Pearl.

Toyota Warranty

Toyota’s 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and against corrosion with no mileage limitation. The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for eight years/100,000 miles.

The Prius c also comes standard with ToyotaCare, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

2018 Toyota Prius c

[​IMG]

All-in, the 2017 can be found with $3k on the hood and as much as $5k off retail. In other words, if you are looking for a c, forgo the new wheel arches and roof rails and instead find a 2017 Prius c Three with the large discounts for around $18k + TTL.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I wanted a Prius C in the worst way when they were first announced. I waited many months for them to show up at dealerships and checked them out the day they arrived. When I tried to put the rear seatbacks down, they wouldn't go down all the way. They would only fold down at about a 45 deg angle because of the big NiMH battery under the seat. The cargo room, consequently, was a joke. I felt they could have gotten the seatbacks to go all the way down if they had used a Li-Ion battery like all the other hybrid competitors. Stubborn Toyota loved those big, heavy NiMH batteries. I moved on. I wonder if they still use NiMH batteries on the Prius C.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Jay:

They are still using the Ni-MH pack and the seats still do not fold flat. :(

Wayne

BillLin and Jay like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The "tried-and-true-and proven" Ni-MH pack. I came this close ( holds up thumb and forefinger ) to buying a c in 2015. But the very nice
    discount on the Liftback influenced me. Also , I don't have to disassemble the (Trek) bike AT ALL to fit it in there. The Giant is a 27.5" and
    I , uh, try NOT to transport it.
    But the c will turn on a dime. The Liftback has a lonnngggggg wheelbase and large turning radius. I still like the c a lot.

BillLin, Jay and xcel like this.
  5. xcel

Hi Edwin:

That was a hard decision vs. the third gen. Even today I would call it a toss up. Lower upfront cost, better efficiency despite the lower EPA, and the c can almost turn within a single lane. The Liftback for the larger cargo volume, larger passenger volume, better road manners, and a little bit more comfortable.

LA to San Diego results...

2014 Toyota Prius c Review

[​IMG]
    96.6 miles at 88.2 mpg indicated - 97.6 miles on 1.09 gallons actual = 89.5 mpg. I spilled ~ .02 gal. :(

Against the 4th gen with the std. full range RCC via TSS-P, 4th gens higher efficiency, larger and more comfortable cabin, much improved road manners, even more cargo volume, and pretty darn good discounts on the 4th gen Two ECO ($4k off in the Midwest and East Coast to < $22k + TTL), I would have to consider the 17 Two Eco. On top of that, the 17 Prime with over $3k off on the East Coast, $4,900 TC, state incentives for some bringing the cost down to under $18k (< $20k in IL) make it the steal against both of its older siblings.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  6. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Nickel metal hydride battery? Are you sure this isn't a 2008 instead of 2018? That's what kills me about the new Camry Hybrid, the cheapest one gets a more efficient Lithium battery, and the more expensive one gets the cheap nickel battery. That and the failure to admit they need to dump Entune has me leaning towards the Accord hybrid. Wish Honda would hurry up and bring it to market. I'm looking for something before full winter gets here.

BillLin, Jay and xcel like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Toyota invested heavily in the complete NiMH supply chain, and they will squeeze every last penny out of it, by god.
    I am sure part of the reason other manufacturers moved to Li-ion was because of concerns in Toyota having the NiMH supply cornered.

The efficiency difference between the NiMH and Li-ion packs in Toyota hybrids is minor.
    The Li-ion pack helped the Prius Two Eco EPA and other ratings mostly through weight savings. The aggressive weight cuttings got the trim into a lower weight class, which meant easier dynamometer settings.
    Much of the Camry LE hybrid's efficiency advantage is due to the 15in steelies and narrower tires. The Canadian version comes with the 16in alloys the ICE model is equipped with, and its MPG numbers are under 50. The XLE and XSE are heavier; only some of the extra weight is the NiMH pack. They also have even larger wheels.

A summary of the Camry ratings is here.
    https://priuschat.com/threads/2018-camry-hybrid-mpg-table.182591/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    BillLin, RedylC94, xcel and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I partly agree. The reason Toyota sticks with the woefully obsolete NiMH is that they own the factory (partly) and if they switch to the much superior Li-Ion, their factory loses their biggest customer. Other hybrid competitors chose Li-Ion because it's a much better battery technology in all respects, especially energy density. Li-Ion batteries perform better at warmer and colder temps, they have lower internal resistance, they have much less internal leakage, and they last longer. In comparison with the A123 batteries of the day, the A123 had a whopping 300% energy density advantage over the NiMH Toyota used! NiMH had a cost advantage (I don't know what Toyota pays for the NiMH) but that's it. Even Toyota was forced to use Li-Ion in their PHEV. This is the disadvantage of buying into a battery company. Yes, you get your batteries wholesale, but you're married to the factory when technology changes. This is why Ford doesn't invest in battery companies. This is why Tesla is similarly married to its battery tech if something better comes along.

9. xcel

Hi All:

Li-Ion has advantages in both power and energy density which forces PHEVs and BEVs to use them. I am not so sure it has a durability advantage however. Moving to a Hybrid, the NiMH weighs more but, the packs of just .5 to 1 kWh usable, the differences between it and Li-Ion are less. Regen has current limitations but from an efficiency standpoint, the differences between the two chemistry's are minor. I am not saying we should not all be driving Li-Ion but for the std. Hybrid, NI-MH is only slightly detrimental.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Toyota needs to work on the aerodynamics, and get the EPA rating up above the standard Prius. It makes no sense that they can't, given its lower weight, and smaller engine, etc.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Toyota didn't just invest in the factory, they invested down to the nickel mines. NiMH might still be cheaper for Toyota because of that, but not for anybody else. NiMH has better cold performance than Li-ion, and that is partly why the E-four equipped Prii use it. BASF has stated that NiMH still has potential for improvement, but nickel is going to cost more than lithium.

Otherwise, Li-ion is the better chemistry, in general. The large pack patents for NiMH have expired, but no one is going it for plug ins. Toyota, however, is only taking advantage of it for weight savings, which is small when it comes to hybrid sized packs. The usable capacity between the two is about the same in their hybrids. There is a small advantage for regen with the Li-ion battery, but the EV range and ICE off time isn't improved. Hyundai uses a larger battery in the Ioniq to improve those.

A Li-ion in the Prius c might fix the seats folding flat because it is smaller, but then the replacement to the current model might make more space under the seat for the NiMH. As long as the Li-ion has the same usable capacity as the NiMH, it won't be a major source for fuel efficiency gains. Improving aerodynamics is tough on cars with short wheel bases. Now the ICE is an older model. It did get some efficiency improvements when placed in the c, but Toyota hasn't thrown all their tricks at it, and most of the efficiency gains between the Prius generation were improvements to the ICE.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wait a second. Roof rails ? What exactly is the point ? Oh, I get it now. It needs to be at LEAST as homely as the rest of the Prius family.

BillLin, Trollbait and xcel like this.
  13. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

You can turn it upside down and use it as Santa's sleigh. Ho Ho Holy sugar!

The "c" is a great commuter-pod when gas is above $4 a gallon. The most formidable competitor is (as mentioned above) its big brother.
    When gas hovers at $2.50/gal, people go shopping for 3+ ton 350 horsepower circus-wagons with that seat seven - as long as six of the passengers are named sneezy, dopey, crabby, snippy, wistful, and doc.

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

That's a great idea , Chris !

Too bad 'Yota won't make the "killer" c they are capable of making. It has to fit in beneath the $21K Liftback.

Maybe I'll trade in my car on a c for commuting AND a Golf wagon for weekends. Wait, that would be TWO car payments. Better rethink this.