Week of November 13 to November 19 (Nat’l Avg $2.560)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has risen again, up 3.1¢ since last week to $2.560 - this time last year it was $2.171 so it's 17.9% (+38.9¢) dearer.
    Diesel is up as well to $2.828 (+4.1¢). It's now 17.7% (+42.5¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is a 10.5% premium to regular.

No commute for me this morning - car pooling :cool:

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

53.4 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is at 54.1 / 289 mi.
    F__\__|____E

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

5.4 L/100 km - 6.5 km to work, 5*F. 4.8 L/100 km - 7.8 km home, 14*F. Going to need to concede to the dark any day now and start turning the lights on again.

4. PaleMelanesian

52.4 / 5.3 - home last night, 66F
    51.8 / 11.4 - school and work this morning, 55F

Tank is down a tick to 54.0 / 306 mi.
    F__\__|____E

BillLin and Gord like this.
  5. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

had to run to the grocery store to pickup some things so I took the car stretch it's legs and circulate the fluids.

52.0 / 2.8 miles (68F E@5) down hill
    39.6 / 3.0 miles up hill

tank: Still from July
    490 miles
    10.2 gals converted
    49.4 FCD indicated (SG 47.6)
    just under 1/10 line (still no low fuel light)

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 44.5 deg F , wind S13. 35.2 miles , 62.3 MPG. Filled up this morning at $2.859 per gallon of Shell 87 E10. I'm glad that miserable tank is finally done ! At least I was able to air up yesterday , after spending $1.75 at two different gas stations and STILL having to finish the job with my bicycle pump. All tires are around 45/44 now. Some were as low as 33 ! Tank data : 542.0 miles / 9.276 gallons = 58.43 MPG Fcd = 62.9

If I can get a 60 tank in November , I won't be TOO discouraged. But the sad fact is.........winter is coming , MPGs will go down. I had an "incident" yesterday , due to not wanting to run front defrost. I ended up turning way too early at an intersection , and actually climbing up onto the curb. Lost my wheel cover. Went back to the scene on the way home and retrieved the wheel cover. The wheel seems to be okay, but I will inspect it when/if I actually have some daylight.

7. PaleMelanesian

Temps in the 60's here, cloudy and breezy

55.3 / 5.5 - home last night
    55.6 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is steady at 53.9 / 329 mi.
    F___\_|____E

8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

60s sounds nice! Haven't crested 50 for the last few days running in the Midwest.

I'm scheming on how to get back to my 48mpg tank...falling temperatures will make it a double challenge :) Hondizzle is sitting in Dallas at 46.xx.

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  9. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Only 40.3 mpg - 4 miles to work yesterday. Plugged in properly, but traffic caused me some trouble. Borrowed a pickup from work to pick up our new sofa on the way home. Sure glad I don't have to commute in a truck on a regular basis.
    54.7 mpg - 4.7 miles home tonight. Temp holding steady around 13-17*F the last couple of days.
    Tank is showing 40.3 mpg - 148 miles.

10. PaleMelanesian

54.8 / 5.3 - home last night, 67F
    52.2 / 4.1 - pick up a kid from youth group, round trip (yes, my own kid!)
    54.0 / 11.6 - school and work this morning, 64F

Tank is steady at 53.9 / 350 mi
    F___\|____E

puddleglum, Gord and BillLin like this.
  11. Commuting from my place for a couple days. GFs water heater blew and flooded the basement. Landlord is out of state and apparently doesn't know how to call a plumber to replace it.
    Left the truck at work. Carpooling in her Grand Caravan today and tomorrow

12. PaleMelanesian

54.5 / 5.2 - home last night
    63.6 / 5.4 - out to music practice
    50.3 / 6.7 - home with a stop on the way

56.6 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is right at 1/2, and up a tenth to 54.0 / 390 mi.
    F____|====E

13. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Man...didn't even touch 40*, ran Virginia to Erie, PA today. Good mileage in the truck, was a light load.

I've noticed that cold temps wreak havoc on this thing until the oil is fully warmed (usually takes about 30 miles or so), then it's more or less indifferent.

I'm a bit troubled by how quickly it ran through DEF though. Nearly 6 gallons on only 800 miles or so is abnormal...usually should get roughly double the mileage, 225-250mpg of DEF.