Ford Escape or GMC Terrain

Discussion in 'General' started by NaturalNaturer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. NaturalNaturer

NaturalNaturer Active Member

Hey, guys! What do you think of these 2 vehicles? We're choosing between these 2 and we need some of you recommendations. Pros and Cons?

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Natural:

Have you driven the RAV4 Hybrid yet?

The std. 18 CR-V with the 1.5T is much more efficient than either the Escape or Terrain as well?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The Escape is quite nice. I have a Gen 2 Hybrid, but the Gen 3 and Gen 4's are really comfortable and good on gas. My sister, a friend, and 2 of my coworkers all have Gen 3 Escapes and they all love them. The Escape is also a great value on the used market. Nice low mileage examples 2 or 3 years old can be had for under $15k.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

There must be something which drew you to these two vehicles, so without trying to second guess your choices, I'd ask you what kind of input you're looking for. Clearly you'll get lots of efficiency comments from this forum. You have not stated your preferred engine picks. Are you more likely to go for the power or the efficiency? What kind of driving do you plan to do? City? Highway? Off-road? I see the GMC has a diesel option. Is that a possibility for you? Are you looking for the best "deal" currently? Reliability? Resale down the road? Cargo capacity? Towing? Some endorsements on comfort have been made. That's good to see.

Good luck,
    Bill

xcel likes this.
  5. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

My knowledge is a bit outdated, but I'll give it a shot.

My company rented me an Escape a year and a half ago. It's had a refresh since then but not a full redesign. I was impressed by the engine (it had a 2.0l Ecoboost), had more than enough power on tap when needed, but was quite efficient when you stayed out of the boost. I made a straight run from Dallas to Memphis and clocked up 35-36mpg doing nothing but running cruise at 65-70. Even had the AC running. Decent room. Excellent handling. Downsides, I thought the dash layout was both unattractive and quirky to use. The ride was pretty harsh. And the power steering was so devoid of any feeling that it really hampered any sense of wanting to take advantage of its handling, making the harsh ride even harder to justify.

I have spent zero time in the current Terrain, so take the following commentary with an attitude of "it's probably worthless". It's grown on me and is kind of handsome. I can only hope GM has made some strides in making the interior feel less cramped and more usable, and that they've fixed the transmission tuning - the old ones always felt too late to upshift, and too early to get out of lockup. That transmission made for thoroughly unimpressive fuel economy to where I could handily beat it with contemporary (ca. 2011, much older-tech) Escapes and was only 1-2mpg behind in something like a Tahoe on the same routes.

BillLin likes this.
  6. About 4 years from now i might be shopping for a used diesel terrain. The new price scares me

BillLin likes this.