2003 Toyota Corolla Pickup

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by xcel, Oct 24, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Just a day prior to my departure to the 2017 Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA) Truck Rodeo outside of Austin, TX, my oldest son calls and asks if I have a Truck this week?

I said, "I do not have one scheduled but can place one on the wish list for later this year. Why do you ask?"

His reply, "Just asking..."

Hmmm, I should have known something was up.

A few hours later he shows up with an almost a third cord of wood piled into the 03 Toyota USA #Corolla back seat and trunk.

Never in my life did I ever think I would see this!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lessons learned. Old Corollas never die and who needs a work truck when you have a Corolla!

In the meantime, I am in a #Prius Prime PHEV, the most efficient plug-in available today, while ready to test drive numerous monstrous work trucks. Some not nearly as efficient.

[​IMG]

A quick visit to an Austin, TX Ram Trucks, Nissan, and Ford Trucks dealer(s) for a few beautiful truck shots to cover the intro are a bonus.

Austin, TX Pickup Truck Dealerships

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leif Johnson Ford in Austin, TX.

[​IMG]
    Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, Austin, TX.

[​IMG]
    AutoNation Toyota, Austin, TX.​

An ode to the Nissan Titan and Frontier at the dealership one store over from AutoNation Toyota but I ran out of time...

#TXTruckRodeo

Jay and BillLin like this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

One 1.5t 6mt Civic + one 5' x 8' aluminum utility trailer = the 40+ mpg do-it-all utility vehicle you always wanted.

No 3/4 ton FSPs or "cord"-ollas needed.

PaleMelanesian, kbergene, Jay and 2 others like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yup. I pulled a trailer similar to that behind my 108 BHP 1.6L Civic Si. The short-ish gearing certainly helped and I did use as much as 3000 RPM. But there was always enough power.

PaleMelanesian, xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Jay and BillLin like this.
  5. xcel

Hi AL

Why not just use a Corolla? :D

Wayne

ALS and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

How much would it cost to rent a Corolla? ;)

PaleMelanesian and xcel like this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

[​IMG]

The Fit is fantastic for what it can haul, but when it just won't "fit" inside, I have a trailer.

Jay, xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. ALS

Hi Wayne,
    The truck bed is easier to clean than the interior of the Corolla.;)

Al

BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. xcel

Hi Al:

One did not cost $19.95, plus another hour, and the drive to and back. ;)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I hauled household and found scrap metal in the Echo many a time. Nothing so heavy as all that wood, but it greatly illuminated one of the Echo's chief virtues, its wonderful and flexible use of space, and one of its vices, an exaggerated sense of every extra pound in the drivetrain, brakes, and suspension.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Has anyone rented a truck from Home Depot? Is there a per mile charge on top of that? I don't see any reference to one on their website.

I've rented U-hauls lots of times with low daily rates but the per mile charges kill you. It's hard to get away for less than $100 even on a short move.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. ALS

There's no mileage charge on HD truck rental, just bring it back with the gas gauge in the same place.

I don't know on the vans and box truck daily rates, I'd suspect it applies due to the mileage you could rack up in 24 hrs.

Jay, xcel and BillLin like this.