"Toshiba engineers have cracked the Holy Grail of electric vehicle batteries..."

Discussion in 'General' started by Carcus, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

You can't spell Toshiba without the B and the S. :D Kidding of course. These high density fast charge schemes are always interesting, but the power transfer numbers are staggering. I think smaller batteries with the fast charge may be more useful. Think supercapacitors being recharged every couple of miles. We need controlled lightning strikes for the bigger batteries. :)

Carcus and xcel like this.
  3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

lol, ..

Yah, I think those batteries would open up a lot of possibilities, but an "electric F-150" wouldn't be at the top of the list. But small, efficient sedans with a 32 kwh pack, and charging stations with a "utility scale battery bank" spaced every xx miles or so .... maybe the Nissan-Toyota-Honda-Mitsu alliance will "lead the charge" on the island of Japan.

Here's a discussion on "how to design the stations":
    https://www.engineering.com/Electro...0-Mile-Range-with-Six-Minute-Charge-Time.aspx

/In the US -- "utility scale battery bank charging stations" next to the wind turbines (like between Dallas, TX and Taos, NM) -- that would be 2 or 3 birds with one stone. Idling the turbines on windy days due to excess output is not uncommon AFAIK,.. On windy days the transportation efficiency goes down, so that would be a bonus in the wind/win.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    BillLin likes this.
  4. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The only issue that I'd be concerned about is what is the life expectancy of these new wonder batteries?

32 KwH pack that can be charged in five to six minutes is scary just with the amount of heat it would generate during the charging cycle.

What good are they if they start to degrade too quickly and 36 months down the road you can't get more than a 50% charge?

Like the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I may be wrong but we'll wait and see what happens in two or three years.

BillLin likes this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

They're getting better with the lab testing, .. but yeah, there is no substitute for real world and real time. Which is why I don't think any of this will happen at a rapid pace. Even under the most optimistic scenarios, I don't see peak oil consumption happening in less than 10 years, ... likely much further out than that.

BillLin likes this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Right away there are "problems" with their estimations. The most efficient BEV on the market right now is the Ioniq which goes about 105 miles with a 28kwh pack. The Leaf goes about 107 miles on a 30kwh pack. 200 miles on a 32kwh pack? What BEV could do that?

10 years is long battery life in their estimation? Not in mine. Cost of the tech is conspicuous by its absence in the article. It's good that they're working on better batteries. I like battery-powered tools.

BillLin likes this.
  7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Probably that NEDC cycle?....
    *edit-- that's JC08, new Leaf is 6.2mi/kWh on that cycle

Maybe the biggest advantage here would be the 6 minute charge makes BEVs practical for city dwellers without garages.

The 10 year estimate made it a little more believable to me. (I'm guessing Tesla packs will run out about the same(?))

I think you have to keep the pack size small if the car is going to go through a pack replacement at mid-life.

/power tools, fork lifts, e-motorcycles etc., etc... Toshiba stock ought to jump if the batteries are proven real.
    //city cars (like the smart) seem like the most logical application for BEVs imo

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    BillLin likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Tapping around on the internets,...

It appears this is another version of Toshiba's SCib battery (super charge ion battery(?)), which has been around since 2007.
    The SCib battery has been installed in the Mitsubishi imiev (14.5 kwh pack, maybe) but only in Japan. -- would be nice to know how these have held up.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2976
    http://www.scib.jp/en/product/cell.htm

/although the spec sheet shows no problems at 35c,. .that's still quite a bit cooler than what a Phoenix located or rapid charged battery might expect.

BillLin likes this.