#SEMA2017 -- 2017 Hyundai “HyperEconiq" Ioniq Concept

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Oct 9, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Finally a SEMA Concept worth writing about!!! :) :) :)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Oct. 9, 2017

Meet the 2017 Hyundai “HyperEconiq” Ioniq PHEV

[​IMG]
    Modified by Bismoto Engineering.​

Hyundai working with Bisimoto Engineering created a unique showstopping concept for this years SEMA show that is absolutely worth the print. Usually SEMA is loaded with 1000+ hp monsters with 10,000 W audio systems that 1. Are never going to see the light of day 2. Would be so outrageously expensive they will never move beyond Wild concept, and 3. Are so horrendous for the environment they would not pass EPA and you would not want them within a block of your family or home.

This year Hyundai is changing things up. I am sure they will display a hopped up Santa Fe, Tucson, and maybe even a refreshed 2018 Sonata as a mild to wild build study but this is my nirvana. Meet the Hyundai “HyperEconiq Ioniq” concept.

This concept pushes the envelope of aerodynamics, mechanical efficiency, and looks as a multiplier to the already record setting Ioniq platform.

Hyundai’s HyperEconiq IONIQ Concept Breakdown
    • Bisimoto pulse-chamber exhaust improving volumetric efficiency <-- Concerned about CATBACK noise here
    • Racepak OBD-monitoring electronics with interactive OBD cluster <-- Nothing added
    • Eco low-friction PurOl Elite Synthetic Oil (0W20) <-- Pennzoil 0W-16/12 would be preferred. ;)
    • Low RRc 19” tires <-- Probably Ecopia EP600 155/70R19s front and rear
    • ARP wheel studs <-- Unless they save mass, no.
    • Buddy Club aluminum brake calipers. Mass savings?
    • Recaro Pole Position racing seats. Nahh.
    • Carbon Revolution 19" x 5.0" CR-9 one-piece carbon-fiber wheels <-- Weight savings could be a real bonus!
    • First one-piece OEM application
    • Bisimoto Dream Aero kit (front splitter, TA wing, side splitters, rear wheel covers) <-- It will need front caps too.
    • Progress Performance coilover suspension
    • Minimized ground clearance
    • Optimized alignment settings <-- We know how to do that now don’t we. :D
    • Enhanced e-generators <-- Not sure what these are?
    • NGK spark plugs <-- Ok…
    • Optimized inertial supercharging during valvetrain overlap <-- This could be interesting but beating an OEM?
    • Combined fuel economy well over 80 mpg (Bisimoto-testing)
    Since it is just a concept build it will never see the production line but to dream of an already Hyper efficient OEM platform taken to the next level is ... well, pretty G** Damned Fricken Cool!!! :D

JonNC, Jay and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

Looks like a plug-in, too!

Not sure about the serrated edges on the chin and side effects... might take a pedestrian foot off at the ankle.

Jay and xcel like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Saves gas by going really slow over every little dip and bump in the road to avoid scraping bottom. ;)

MPG Mom, BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. BillLin

It could probably benefit from an air suspension and raised ride level for city driving. :)

xcel likes this.
  5. MPG Mom

MPG Mom Member

That's fantastic. Good to see a manufacturer doing something awesome like this instead of just making yet another crossover :)

Maybe I need to go test drive the Ioniq and see what I can get out of it.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. xcel

Hi MPG Mom:

You should at the earliest opportunity! :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

I found this passenger profile pic of the 2017 Hyundai HyperEconiq Ioniq PHEV on the Bismoto website.

[​IMG]

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

Looks good for a Salt Flats run. Not so practical for daily driving. I've seen local "low-riders" go extremely slowly to go over little bumps to avoid damage. Even worse than those "slow Prius drivers" getting in everyone's way. :D

Jay and xcel like this.
  9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

The rear spoiler is NOT going to help MPG - in fact it would negate the other improvements.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. xcel

Hi Neil:

There is a lot here to "fix" as it was designed by a performance outfit that did not complete their homework in its entirely. The carbon fiber wheels if they are light, the 19's if from the i3, the rear wheel covers, and lowering are about the only thing here that help.

Anything regarding engine mods to improve efficiency from a small mod shop vs. the hundreds of millions spent by Hyundai on the heavily atkinsionized Kappa engine line would be highly suspect as well.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm probably one of those guys. Getting in everyone's way , going at the maximum speed limit , in the far right lane.
    Making the highway unsafe for high-speed passing in that lane. I'm a rebel , scofflaw , miscreant , and possibly a serial killer.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  12. xcel

Hi Edwin:

You and I are a menace! :)

Wayne

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Driving for economy is un-American.

BillLin and xcel like this.