Week of October 9 to October 15 (Nat’l Avg $2.494)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price has dropped another 5.7¢ since last week to $2.494 - this time last year it was $2.258 so it's now ‘only’ :rolleyes: 10.5% (+23.6¢) more expensive.
    Diesel is down a touch to $2.730 (-0.2¢). It's now 14% (+33.6¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is an increasing 9.5% premium to regular.

No commute for me this week - car pooling

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

62.3 / 11.3 - school and work this monring. 75F, sticky humid.

Tank is at 57.6 / 270 mi.
    F__\__|____E

BillLin and Gord like this.
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 59.5 deg F , wind NNE10 (headwind). 35.1 miles , 63.33 MPG. Tank is at 439.9 miles , 66.59 MPG.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

Last night home, 55.1 mpg / 5.2 mi.

This morning to school and work, 64.4 / 11.4. Cooler at 65F.

Tank is up to 57.8 / 287 mi
    F__\__|____E

BillLin likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

The inbound trip this morning was tough. 59.5 deg F , wind ENE14 ( my morning commute is either North or East ) , light rain all the way. 35.0 miles , 56.92 MPG.

Tank is at 509.1 miles , 66.22 MPG.

BillLin likes this.
  6. PaleMelanesian

55.4 / 6.0 - from work to a friend's house for a cookout
    57.2 / 9.1 - home, plus 2 kids
    58.7 / 11.4 - school and work this morning, cooler still at 60F

Tank is down a tick to 57.7 / 313 mi.
    F__\__|____E

BillLin likes this.
  7. Gord

I spoke too soon :rolleyes:, car pooler woke me up yesterday morning waiting outside :eek: so I let him go without me and made my own way in daughter's Fiat 500 about 40 minutes later than usual.
    Traffic was a lot heavier at that time - there was a big queue on the slip road I normally take off the motorway so I carried on to the next junction and avoided the worst of it, mild 57°F, 14mph head/crosswind SW:

50.4 / 20.8

Going home traffic was pretty bad, took a few detours but the little Fiat coped well, drizzling, 57°F, 12mph tailwind W:

48.2 / 21.1

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 55 deg F , wind E5. 35.2 miles , 64.26 MPG. Tank is at 578.6 miles, 66.22 MPG. At least it's nice and dry today. Cubs will win the division playoffs in Washington.

9. PaleMelanesian

Busy.

44.6 / 1.9 - from work to buy a burger
    71.5 / 1.2 - to a meeting at church
    55.9 / 5.4 - home
    56.8 / 2.1 - pickup a kid from youth group
    45.9 / 2.0 - home

This morning, coolest yet at 55F
    58.8 / 7.1 - drop eldest off at school early for a volleyball tournament
    57.1 / 7.4 - back home
    53.8 / 10.9 - other 2 kids to school, then continue on to the tournament myself
    watch the first game (lost :( )
    63 / 6.4 - work

Tank is down to 57.3 / 370 mi.
    F___\_|____E

10. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Up here in northwestern Oregon lowest gas price for 87 octane regular (10% Ethanol) is Costco in Warrenton Oregon @ $2.499/ gal. That about 33 cent less per gallon than during the hurricanes a few weeks ago.

Diesel is way up, no diesel at Costco but @ Fred Meyer Store, also in Warrenton, is $2.899 / gal.

I just don't see any savings in buying a diesel car. Not only is diesel 40 cent / gal more than regular you have to fill up with Urea every few thousand miles. Both our 2016 Volt and 2010 Prius when running just on gasoline probably get the same mpg's as a diesel would as well.

11. Gord

Went to fill up wife’s Jazz/Fit last night:
    53.6/2.8

BillLin likes this.
  12. PaleMelanesian

It warmed up again. High 87, low 64. (30/18C)

53.5 / 5.3 - home last night
    73.6 / 5.4 - out to band practice. New Record by 1 mpg!
    59.1 / 5.4 - home
    57.6 / 11.4 - school and work this morning

Tank is up 0.1 to 57.4 / 397 and right on 1/2.
    F____++++E

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Filled up today. I knew I would not be calling Guinness. :) 625.9 miles / 9.352 gallons = 66.93 MPG.
    Colder temps, rain , and diminished focus are the main problems.
    Fcd = 72.5 for a 6.7% over-report. Close to typical.

14. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Fall is definitely here. Mid to high 20's in the mornings and low to mid 30's for highs this week. Supposed to warm up though. Mileage has been off a bit. Scangauge is still over reporting for some reason. I installed a new board in it with upgraded software this week. Set the engine size to 1.7L instead of 1.5L as well. See if it helps. I'm not sure I like the new software as my daily trip isn't resetting overnight now. Anyway, I filled up today on the way home, both to have a fresh start and also to hopefully get the last of the summer gas. Got $17 in free gas with my points card so that was a bonus.
    50 mpg - 317.7 miles. Filled at half tank.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

After ZERO rain in September , we received a torrential downpour yesterday. I had to do a lot of driving , which was not fun at all ,

and we won't even think about documenting the results from about 105 miles.

Today , the roofers are working on the house to replace the missing shingles from the storm.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  16. puddleglum

Sorry to hear about the damage to your house Edwin. Hope everything will be okay.

I did a lot of driving this weekend (a lot for me that is), all back and forth around town. Weather warmed up. Still freezing in the mornings but into 50's F midday.
    Saturday: 52.5 mpg - 27.6 miles. 8 trips.
    Sunday: 54.3 mpg - 28.8 miles. 9 trips.

17. Gord

Yeah, sorry to hear about your roof Edwin...

Saturday morning wife and I went for a night away near Rutland Water, great run down the A1, very mild 64°F, 11mph head/crosswind SW:
    55.6 / 59.3
    9C667B69-55E3-4F8D-9212-1F51826EBC28.jpeg
    It was nice to see over 70mpgUK on the FCD :D

Did a 5+ mile walk with my wife for lunch and later on I did a 3.2 mile run. I’m not the best runner but I was happy with 25’ after a first mile of 7’18” :cool:

Sunday morning after checking out, drove to Oakham for a walk round and a bit of shopping, 59°F, 6mph cross/headwind SSW:
    42.7 / 6.2

Back home, another great run, 66°F, 7mph cross/tailwind SW:
    54.8 / 61.2

Tank up 2.3 at 58.6 (FCD 51.2) / 432.2 / Range 235 . Guess gauge F____|««««E . UG steady at 48.4 . DTE221

Half tank @ 374 miles

Went for a 3 hour / 50.2 mile bike ride Sunday afternoon

BillLin likes this.
  18. EdwinTheMagnificent

My 68-year-old roofer came out Sunday morning and did the repair. He had his younger assistant with him , but he had no trouble climbing up that ladder like a monkey.

50.2 miles is 50.0 more than I did this weekend, Gord. ( went around the block once, between storms )

19. PaleMelanesian

That's solidly into winter weather for Texas. :p
    We got some real Fall here, down to 50 overnight.

My updated Scangauge does the same, it doesn't reset Today until I think 18 hours or something stupid. If you commute, it never resets except weekends. It's better about not counting fuel used while the engine is off though. I have mine set at 1.7L for my 1.5 car as well and it's close to accurate.

20. puddleglum

We'll see 50 overnight in mid summer. It was much warmer today. 39F this morning and got to 65. Road the bike to work so no driving today. SG should reset. Thanks for the Scangauge feedback. 18 hours sounds about right. It was reset after 20 hours but doesn't reset after 14.5 hours.

BillLin likes this.