Backed Out of my Honda Civic Hatch Order

Discussion in 'General' started by Jay, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

After nearly buying a couple of cars over the last 7 years and then deciding to keep my aging Acura RSX instead, I finally decided that the 2017 Honda Civic Hatch LX with 6MT was going to be the one. Honda has other ideas though. I looked at 19 dealers in a 350 mile radius and nobody has the 6MT! After checking the forums, I find that Honda, for some reason, is holding the 6MT off the US market. Reluctantly, I paid my deposit at the dealer and got in line with all the other 6MT customers for the long wait. This was in late May.

I put a back out clause in my deposit contract saying I can walk if it takes longer than 3 months. Fast forward to today, 13 weeks later, and I told the dealer "no sale". I'm kind of bitter about the 6MT situation with American Honda. I feel they are deliberately pushing customers to the CVT by holding the 6MT off the market and relegating the 6MT to the stripper trims only. So it is with disappointment and some satisfaction that I tell American Honda "Nope!" I'm done with your CVT upsell games today.

I'm keeping my RSX and waiting for the next gen Skyactiv-x Mazda3. Mazda offers the 6MT in all trims on the Mazda3 with none of the shortage games that American Honda wants to play. If my 200,000 mile RSX dies, I'll buy a used Mazda3.

I'm a lifelong Honda customer and have loved cars and motorcycles Honda, but I'm kinda "boo Honda" right now. :(

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

Sorry to hear but it make sense. If they cannot get you what you want, you do not have to let them hold onto your hard earned $s.

Wayne

kbergene, BillLin and Jay like this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That's too bad :(. The manual hatch that I put a deposit on in May sounds like it will be here in early 2018 if I still want it o_O

BillLin likes this.
  4. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Man, sorry to hear. Not very nice of Honda, but also not atypical of automakers these days, the MT is basically a hobbyist thing nowadays.

BillLin likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I started a poll thread on the civicx forum to gauge popularity of the 6MT. I asked if folks wanted the CVT or settled for it. A surprising number of votes showed up in the "settled" pile. There is still strong demand for the 6MT across all trim levels but many didn't want to put up with the long wait of ordering the 6MT or didn't want to give up features only offered in upper trim levels that are CVT only. This is an upsell tactic by American Honda. Anyway, this works out well for me because I have more choice now that I'm free of my order obligation. I can wait and see what the next gen Mazda3 will be like and if it looks like it's not going to work out, I can get a used Mazda3, or a new or used Civic hatch.

The RSX is still running strong. Keeping my fingers crossed there. :)

jcp123 and BillLin like this.
  6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

A parting shot of the hatch with a stick and I am so sorry they could not fulfill your order.

2017 Honda Civic Hatch

[​IMG]

Regarding the Mazda3, I would hold off. It was a nice design in year two when they fixed the infotainment but today, the rest have caught up and surpassed other than the road holding quotient. Which all are pretty darn good at nowadays as well. Look a the September Sales write-ups and in particular, the B and C-segment sales breakout items of note with more on the Mazda3.

Wayne

Jay and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Salt in the wounds... :D

Jay and xcel like this.
  8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Well I'm not surprised at that. The forums have a fairly specific subset of folks who are more inclined to be ok with or prefer stick. The average buyer, I don't think, really wants to put up with it, especially now that the Monroney no longer boasts an FE advantage for stick (we of course know better). Plus as vehicles become vessels for features, an auto simply becomes another feature that people view as making their transportation easier. Yeah, I'm pessimistic. I should snag a "Save the Manuals" sticker...

Jay, xcel, BillLin and 1 other person like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I should snag a manual (car). All my three-pedal driving was done from 1969-2008. Hope I still remember how to do it !

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

It's like falling off a bike, you never forget how. ;)

xcel, jcp123 and BillLin like this.
  11. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

You'll be fine. You'll only be rough on it for a day or two :)

BillLin and xcel like this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The next gen Mazda3 will debut at the Tokyo Motor Show at the end of this month. There are a lot of things I like about the current gen Mazda3 vs the Civic: much taller gearing; narrower tires, higher ground clearance; Skyactiv auto trans vs bs CVT. Both are great handling cars but the Civic turbo engine has it all over the current Mazda normally aspirated Skyactiv Gs. I think Mazda will leap-frog the turbo Civic in the engine and fuel economy dept. next gen. But will Mazda deliver? Or is this going to be another vaporware engine like the 2.2 Skyactiv D? Time will tell. I like keeping my options open for now and I'll be counting the days till the 2019 Mazda3 debut at TMS.

Regarding the manuals: The autonomous driving technologies don't have any place for the manual, I'm afraid. What is optional for now will be mandatory once the tech is more proven.

jcp123, xcel and BillLin like this.
  13. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Where there's a will, there's a way...

Don't forget Toyota already has an idea (based on an old idea probably) on how to make MT play with auto-stop and braking.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/54889/Toyota's manual transmission patent could save fuel, help newbies

xcel likes this.
  14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I hear ya. Mazda likes to tease us here in the US, which is a shame as I feel that kind of overshadows what they as a fairly small automaker are actually able to deliver.

Never thought about the autonomous aspect...makes me even more pessimistic :/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    xcel, Jay and BillLin like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yeah , autonomous cars will rule the road , any day now. 2087.

xcel, Jay and BillLin like this.
  16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well, there's autonomous and then there's autonomous. :) Fully level 5 autonomous where no driver is needed under any circumstances are a long way off, but even the level 1 systems available today don't mesh with manuals. Adaptive Cruise Control? How are you going to do that with a manual? Collision Mitigation Braking System? Nope. Lane Keep Assist? Yep. Road Departure Mitigation? Yep. Cross Traffic Monitor? Yes. But these systems are sold as a package, so a fail on any one feature and the whole package is unavailable. Some federal safety regulator will step in soon and say "all new cars must have this" and that will be the end of the manual transmission.

Carcus, xcel and BillLin like this.
  17. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

My Civic has collision mitigation braking, adaptive cruise, and a manual transmission. I assume that if necessary, the collision mitigation braking will just stall if the driver is not fast enough to press on the clutch. Stalling is probably preferable to a collision.

Jay, BillLin and xcel like this.
  18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I think that's a legitimate fear. Not because they can't design a lot of that into a manual, but it'll just get too expensive to engineer into a limited production car.

I viewed my 2017 civic as the probably the last "old school" (manual, no automation) sedan I'd ever buy. -- but I'm planning on driving it into the ground, so we're talking about quite a few years before I'd be due another car purchase. I figure I had a better chance of driving a car 200k+ miles if it didn't have all the safety features -- I'm assuming that if the vehicle comes equipped, it will have to be working to pass annual inspection [i.e. the dreaded "CAL" .... Check Automation Light].

/it's really a shame Honda (and others) only want to sell manuals in higher priced (and limited availability) 'sports' cars (at least in the U.S. market).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    BillLin likes this.