2018 Hyundai Accent First Look

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 29, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] From the floor of the Korean Automakers hometown Auto Show, Orange County, the all-new 5th gen Accent was revealed.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 28, 2017

2018 Hyundai Accent – Pricing TBA while offering owners 28/38 mpg city/highway. The SE and SEL. Probably a little less if you are considering the top trim Touring with 17” alloys.

2018 Hyundai Accent

[​IMG]

Anaheim, California -- We have previously covered the 2018 Accent from the Canadian Auto Show reveal last February, a high level 2018 Hyundai Accent overview last month, and the 2018 Hyundai Accent sneak peek just prior to the Orange County Auto Show which opened yesterday afternoon. Orange County is the home to Hyundai’s new North American HQ in Fountain Valley, so it makes sense why the brand would provide a little oomph for their all-new 2018 Accent here.

If there is a tough sell in the automotive industry, the B-segment is it. How do you include standard content of larger – read higher priced – offering including acceptable performance, high level of safety with the latest safety equipment, and a range of infotainment solutions to attract the youngest first-time buyers, all the while offering said vehicle for a price the first time or low-income purchaser can afford? The balancing act is not lost on any B-segment or small car product planner from any OEM in the industry including Hyundai. Although pricing has not yet been released, Hyundai has the sharpest pencils in the industry while still offering an affordable and attractive offering for that target audience.

2018 Hyundai Accent Final Pricing Speculation

Currently the 2017 Hyundai Accent SE retails for $14,255 incl. mats, $885 D&H Fee, and a Fall Season $2,500 rebate. Given the new content of the 2018 model shown below including the SEL taking place of the current Value Edition plus more content, and very well equipped all-new Touring trim, I expect prices to be up at least $500 and $1,000.

A price of $17,755 for the 2018 Accent SE would not be out of the question.

The current 4th Gen Accent Value Edition currently retails for $17,460 at $705 over the SE “sort of” indicates my own 2018 Accent trim of choice, the SEL, should be priced around $18,500 incl. mats, D&H.

The 2018 Accent Touring? That one is probably going to come in at $19,995 just to keep the optics acceptable while being better equipped than any other B-segment being offered by anyone.

Hyundai Accent U.S. Sales since 1992

[​IMG]

Sales since the Accent introduction back in 1994 are stellar and actually leads the segment. Ever since the Versa Note and Fit were introduced however, sales have eroded to the middle of the pack.

2014, sales were ok, 2015, were slightly off, and 2016 sales were excellent. Accent sales in 2017 have slid precipitously and a new offering to compete with the all-new and very well-equipped Yaris iA (Forward Collison Warning and slow speed Auto braking is std. on all trims), and always competitive second gen Fit, the all-new 5th gen Accent was desperately needed.

[​IMG]
    • Accent 2017 Sales YTD: 37,262, down 31.9 percent below the 54,705 sold through the same period of 2016
    • Accent 2016 Sales: 79,766 up 29.7% over 2015 sales of 61,486 sold through the same period of 2015
    • Accent 2015 Sales: 61,486 down 2.9% below 2014 sales of 63,309 sold through the same period of 2014
    • Accent 2014 Sales: 63,309 up 4.7% over 2013 sales of 60,458 sold through the same period of 2013
    Meet the all-new 5th gen 2018 Hyundai Accent

The all-new 2018 Accent arrives with a very modern Elantra like design, the most modern interior in the segment, a more efficient drivetrain (+2 mpg city and highway), a very welcome reduction in NVH, and improved ride and handling.

2018 Hyundai Accent Chassis

[​IMG]

The all-new Accent chassis consists of 54.5 percent Advanced High Strength Steel, up 13 percent and is 32 percent more rigid than the outgoing 2017 model.

The new chassis are said to help reduce NVH while improving overall driving dynamics. The application of Advanced High Strength Steel also improves collision energy management without adding weight, helping to reduce fuel consumption and deliver better driving feel. The all-new Accent also includes over 300 ft. of structural adhesive which is key to a more rigid, lower noise, and longer-term quality – lack of squeaks and rattles – automobile.

The Accent’s steering feel is said to be improved with better steering efficiency, while enhancements to handling and ride comfort have been made by raising the rear roll center, a theoretical point around which the chassis rolls, and is determined by the design of the suspension. The rear shocks are now mounted more upright in line with the rear torsion bars suspension movement offering lower friction, more travel, and more linear action.

On the braking front, 11” front discs are std. across all trims. SE trims arrive with rear drums while the SEL and Touring include discs out back.

2018 Hyundai Accent Exterior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Accent was designed with the brands Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 including the all-new cascading grille with thin wraparound lamps and slick DRLs (Touring trim only) that we reviewed on the 2018 Hyundai Sonata.

Accent’s profile and character lines run the length of the car just as they do on the Elantra and Sonata. Chrome handles, chrome beltline, LED taillamps, and LED side-view mirror turn signal indicators are exclusive to the Touring trim. The Touring trim also arrives with a standard power sunroof. Again, not free and in this segment, a luxury offering indeed!

All of the higher end vehicle trim and hardware is not going to be free.

The underside of the car includes a new front-lip spoiler and lower ride height equating to a Cd of 0.28. I did not look to see if it had spats at all four wheels or if it included a full underbody cover. In this segment, those extras would be luxury items.

I was told the rear trunk and fascia design was locked down before the latest 2018 Sonata and thus we did not receive the full flat face trunk with the plate embedded into the lower rear fascia like the all-new 2018 Sonata. We should expect that on the refresh in two or three years.

2018 Hyundai Accent Measurements

[​IMG]

The all-new Accent is 1.2” wider at 68.1”, 0.6” longer at 172.6”, and built off a 0.4” longer wheelbase at 101.6 longer than the current 4th gen Accent.

2018 Hyundai Accent Interior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Volume and competitive comparison.​

The 2018 Accent’s offers intuitive and ergonomic control locations with improved interior roominess. There are premium materials including the great looking cloth seats, nice inserts in the doors, and a cloth but little backing textured headliner.

New for the 5th gen is a standard backup camera system with a 5-inch (SE trim) or 7-inch color TFT LCD display (SEL and Touring trims).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The seat frame is lightweight but extremely strong, to help keep occupants safe in collisions. For added comfort and convenience, passengers enjoy heated front seats (Touring trim), and center armrest/console (SEL and Touring trims).

The 60/40 split rear seats are standard on all trims.

[​IMG]
    More volume than most previous gen C-segments let alone B-segment sedans!​

2018 Accent Interior /Cargo Volume is a generous 90.2/13.7 (cu. ft.) about in the middle of the segment.

2018 Hyundai Accent Drivetrain

[​IMG]

The new Accent received a slightly modified direct injected 130 hp and 119 lb-ft. of torque 1.6L Gamma series I4 mated to either a six-speed MT or six-speed AT. While down 7 hp and 4 lb-ft from the 4th gen, efficiency is up 7 percent thanks to low-friction piston rings, a variable fuel pressure module and upgraded software for the engine control module. Return springs in the braking system have reduced drive friction. The automatic transmission has also been redesigned to reduce the unit’s overall weight by 4 pounds and improve operational efficiency.

[​IMG]

The new Accents with an AT is equipped with Drive Mode Select adjusting both throttle tip-in and steering weight in real time via a button on the center console.

Why wasn’t the more efficient Kappa engine family series included? The most efficient non-hybrid available today is the 1.4L GDI-T Kappa engine in the Elantra ECO. The extra cost of the turbo knocked it out. Why not the 1.6L GDI-T Kappa engine in the Ioniq? A bit too much antiunionization leaving it as a standalone non-starter. Too bad as the 1.4L GDI-T would have been more powerful (significantly higher torque) and much more efficient in the all-new Accent. Darn those price targets. ;)

2018 Hyundai Accent Safety

The 2018 Accent features improvements to the front side members and inner side sill for improved collision protection. The front crumple zones have been increased, front side airbags have been upgraded and reinforcements have been added to improve the car’s collision energy management performance, especially in small overlap crashes.

A six-airbag system is standard, along with Electronic Stability Control, Vehicle Stability Management, Traction Control and ABS.

New for 2018, the Hyundai Accent Touring trim includes Forward Collision-avoidance Assist with a front forward facing radar. If the driver does not react to avoid the impact, the system will apply emergency braking. Unfortunately the Radar CC was not used to provide a radar CC.

2018 Hyundai Accent Infotainment

[​IMG]
    Infotainment and feature additions.​

The Accent in Touring trim includes a proximity key with push button start. The SEL and Touring also include a much needed second USB charging outlet in the back.

[​IMG]

Both the SEL and Touring trims also arrive with a 7” touchscreen display audio system, AM/FM/SirusXM w/ Android Auto and Apple Carplay plus 6 speakers. This Is the main reason that I recommend the SEL as a new buyers first choice.

2018 Hyundai Accent BlueLink

[​IMG]

The 2018 Hyundai Accent in Touring trim arrives with the ability to remote-start with its Blue Link integrations for Amazon Alexa and Google Home.

[​IMG]

2018 Hyundai Accent Early Conclusions

It most certainly has the looks and equipment far outpacing every other OEMs offering in the segment. Will the lower NVH be segment leading? Fingers crossed on that one. And finally, will the improved handling characteristics come close to matching that of the Yairs iA - read Mazda2? This segment is not going to live or die on that attribute, but it will make for an interesting first drive. B-Segment vehicles are notoriously busy by comparison to C and especially D-Segment offerings. Fingers crossed Hyundai made a short wheelbase B-segment a relaxed daily cruiser like their Elantra and especially soft driving Sonata.

The 2018 Hyundai Accent is expected to reach Hyundai dealerships sometime in late October or early November.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Does anyone know what "functional air curtains" are ?

BillLin likes this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

I was going to post a smart alecky answer, but I'm guessing you caught an initial mistake that has since been corrected.

xcel likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

no turbo no care.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. MPG Mom

MPG Mom Member

What Jay said. A car needs to be efficient, but have enough power to safely avoid an accident. There's no N/A 1.6 on the planet I'd feel comfortable putting my kids behind unless it was electrified or had forced induction. Power on demand is not a luxury. It is a safety feature :)

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi MPG Mom:

We are talking about 130 hp in a 2,550 lb car. My last car was an 05 Accord with 160 hp and weighed in at a svelte 3,200. Power to weight is better in the all-new Accent while those Accords continue cruising down the highway by the millions and few if anyone ever complained about their power. Least of all me. :)

IHTHs?

Wayne

BillLin and RedylC94 like this.
  7. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

My old early 80's GM diesel full size sedan had 105hp and weighed 3650 pounds according to the registration slip. I survived. Nobody crashed into me.

I am impressed with the new Accent with all the new features. Who would have imagined they'd have a smart-key, moonroof, heated seats, and other big-ticket features on an entry model?
    What keeps the Accent from becoming a best seller is that it is overshadowed by its big brother. The Elantra is the volume model and they have some serious incentives on them. The OTD price ends up about the same for the Accent and the Elantra. Fuel economy is about the same. They're not all that different in exterior size. Either way, it's a win-win for Hyundai since buyers are still driving a new car out the door.

8. MPG Mom

MPG Mom Member

Yeah, the weight is a factor I wasn't thinking about. Didn't realize they are only ~2500 lbs. Power/weight makes a big difference, and skimming an article makes you miss important details like curb weight LOL

I live outside of El Paso, Texas. Not a big city by any means, but it's a madhouse. Lots and lots of uninsured motorists with deathwishes, Mexican nationals who don't seem to care whether they get back home or are looking for somebody to use for insurance fraud, and New Mexico is consistently either the #1 or #2 state for DWI. There are multiple times when I've barely avoided a wreck with a hot V6 or a hot turbo 4 in a small car.

Just a few weeks ago, I was driving a LEAF and narrowly avoided collision, even with the instant-on torque that car had. I know for sure that I would have been pushed off the road by a Suburban if I had been driving the 2.2 Ecotec Cavalier I had 10 years ago.

The circus I drive in around here definitely colors my thinking. El Paso and Las Cruces, NM are definitely an example of YMMV I am NOT driving in an average place.

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

My 117 hp 2500 lb car is fine. I can count on my hand the times this year I've used all of that power.

10. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my 115 hp (that was "gross" hp; maybe ~85 net) 3200-lb car, 61 hp 1800-lb car, and 68 hp 1900-lb car were all fine, too, in that respect. The Prius is theoretically quicker than all the above, yet subjectively feels more sluggish, if not pushed hard.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Of course the Prius feels slow. That's the beautiful part. For people who want "pep" , wtf THAT is , they can always put it in Power mode.

I like the fact that I have very precise throttle control , something my Civics never had.

Andrew, you have used full throttle in the Fit ? Wow. In my "normal" driving ( Illinois , so no real hills ) I never use more than 30 HP per SG.

Sometimes I wonder if my engine is really "broken-in". I have driven it this way since Day One , now at almost 55K miles.

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Oh, in moments of weakness, yes. I'm usually using medium-high throttle, but at low rpm. Sometimes I let the revs go instead of shifting. :eek: It's different than with the Prius where you need to use a light touch.

Just last week, even. Turn from a light onto a wide open country highway. Rev it out in 1st, bang into 2nd and rev that out. Redline is right at the 55 mph speed limit. Then I coasted for nearly a mile. :D It cost me a couple mpg on the trip, but it wasn't all wasted.

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Hey , if I had a manual car ( again ) I would be doing it sometimes , too. In the Prius............. no real reward.

14. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

YOUR real reward is near 70 MPG tanks. So I guess you're talking about your endorphins. :) I understand... And you're right that you would not be rewarded in any way by stomping on the gas in a Prius. You'll use more electrical energy instantly, and then you'd just have to make it up. Net loss, but I bet the Prius would get out of its own way. The C-MAX/FFH and Volt would respond with more zeal.

xcel likes this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

To be more precise , six consecutive 70+ tanks. Some even 71 +. :)

That darned 46 miles of highway each day sabotages my efforts.

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

When those people do that, they give up your "very precise throttle control," and don't gain any peak power or torque, so it's just a stupid gimmick to fool naive people who confuse jerkiness with power.

At moderate engine speeds (say, <3000 RPM) the Prius engine provides even less torque than the humdrum 1490 cm³ engine of my 1981 GLC, and it's pulling ~60% more mass, so no wonder it feels more sluggardly in normal driving. However, that comparison shifts at high engine speeds---which, like you, I tend to avoid except in rare emergencies.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

My gen2 Prius had plenty of pep from a stop. There is no missing the zero rpm peak torque of the traction motor. It just gets less thrilling when it hit 20mph.

18. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

As an aside, I really, REALLY like Hyundai's design language. While most cars have gotten busy and fussy, Hyundais are clean and chiseled. Accent, Elantra, and Sonata are all IMHO the best looking in the segment, and have earned their respect with regards to their engineering as well. Even toyed with leasing an Elantra, dealer had a price leader MT model in stock!

Re: power, between my Echo (2080lb curb weight, auto trans, rated 108hp) and my Civic (~2300lb curb weight, 106hp, 5-speed stick), I've never felt too outgunned out on the road.