Why are dash cams not offered by OEMs?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jay, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It would be so easy and cheap for the OEM to include a discreet dash cam integrated into the back of the rear-view mirror, or some other location, and make it look like it belongs in the car instead of an obvious add-on like the after-market dash cams. The lane keeping assist camera could serve this function as well possibly. Backup cameras are standard on nearly all new cars. Why not have them on all the time and recording?

2. I'd pay extra for that option.
    I have one now, then won another so i put it on the back window.

Only thing worth posting was this guy playing pinball with his car for the ball. Nearly got wiped out by the semi truck.

BillLin likes this.
  3. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

WOW he could have easily swerved into you and pushed you into the truck. I need to get a dashcam. Which one do you have.

BillLin likes this.
  4. Dash cam pro. Cheap one. $35

BillLin and Jay like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The dash cam pro is an example of what I dislike about the aftermarket dash cams. It's big and ungainly. It clops onto the windshield like a big ugly giant spider and very obviously looks like it doesn't belong there. What I had in mind is a small camera integrated into the rear-view mirror. All wiring is in place and completely hidden. The video output can be fed to the mirror or to the infotainment screen at the touch of a button. I don't need to see the video output continuously--just initially for aiming. If dash cam pro can do it for $35, an OEM could do it for $20 and charge $100 for it. Easy. There has to be some stupid political reason why it isn't done already.

BillLin and TheStepChild like this.
  6. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I saw this comparison of two models from Blackvue, the DR650S-2CH and the DR750S-2CH. I thought it was pretty interesting the difference while recording at night.

Here is another video on the Blendmount for the Blackvue camera.

Heads up they're not cheap and when adding memory the price can jump up pretty quickly. You get two cameras, one for the front and one for the rear.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I've heard some high end cars come with dash cams, haven't looked into it. Maybe it's gradually filtering down?

BillLin likes this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

As I google around for answers I see that in some states it's a felony to record video and audio of a person (?).

http://mashable.com/2015/02/07/dashcams/#8OoFaTg.1Pqy

There are no federal laws regulating dash cams but state laws vary. I knew there had to be a political reason for why the industry is so far behind on this technology.

9. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

Maybe it would violate security on military bases as they made me take my dashcam down before I entered a navy base. The military frowns on taking pictures on their bases.

BillLin likes this.
  10. I want my next dash cam to have wifi connectivity so i can live stream.

BillLin and PaleMelanesian like this.
  11. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Live stream? .... I do that every morning, first thing when I get up.

Mendel Leisk and BillLin like this.