Hyundai Taking the “Charging Century” To the Next Level

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 22, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 113 Level2 Chargers installed at their Corporate Campus for employees is a blueprint for employers everywhere.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 20, 2017

2018 Hyundai Sonata PHEV

[​IMG]
    Level2 charging at the Hyundai Corporate campus.​

The scan to the horizon shows just one row of four charging station row(s) for employees to plug-in and charge up. That is an employee benefit worth talking about!

Fountain Valley, Calif. – Hyundai made it crystal clear that it will continue to focus on electrification of its automotive offerings and set the bar for sustainable commuting with a well-orchestrated activation they entitled “Charging Century.”

With the hybridization of the Sonata beginning in 2011, the Korean automaker has expanded from that single platform to today’s second gen Sonata Hybrid, 27-mile all-electric range Sonata Plug-in Hybrid, and all-new third gen drivetrains within an all new C-Segment hatch platform we are all very familiar with, the Ioniq. The Ioniq Hybrid, soon to be released 27-mile all-electric range Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid, and 124-mile all-electric range Ioniq Electric are just a start.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq HEV Available Now, BEV in April, and PHEV This Fall (all 219 posts)

Hyundai’s IONIQ HEV, PHEV and BEV Preview (all 173 posts)

Michael O'Brien, VP of Product, Corporate and Digital Planning, Hyundai Motor America

[​IMG]

At the "Charging Century" event, Michael spoke about employee commuting and reiterated the brands future of transportation focus.
    That vision’s detail included the statement that 40 percent of the brands offerings will be electrified by 2020. I am guessing we will see the Tucson and Genesis brand next. I am interjecting my own speculation here but “Yeah”!!!

From the Gold LEED certified Hyundai HQ, many employees are now commuting back and forth gasoline free thanks in part to 113 brand new Level-2 Charge Point Charging Stations located within the Corporate HQs parking spaces.

Moving beyond the automobile, the company also provides 100 bicycle indoor storage space and on-site showers for the greenest employee commuters.

[​IMG]
    Southern California Edison's VP of Regulatory Affairs, Miss Caroline Choi.​

Miss Choi was among numerous local politicos and Charging infrastructure industry leaders on hand to help move the bar with regard to employee and public charging infrastructure.

The Charge Point network is 10 years old and the 113 Charge Point Chargers on the Hyundai campus provide additional opportunities for citizens to consider the EV or partial EV lifestyle...

[​IMG]
    Brandon Ramirez, Senior Group Manager, Product Communications.​

Brandon was demonstrating the ease at which he swiped his card to activate the onsite Charge Point Level2 charging station, plugged into his own 27-mile all-electric range and 39+ mpg rated when off the plug 2017 Sonata Limited Plug-in Hybrid. He is one of the employees commuting year-round without stopping at the fuel station. Except for longer travel excursions with his wife and children.

[​IMG]
    Plugged into Brandon's 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid PHEV-27​

Given the nature of the event, this is the future of our daily transportation.

There were two 2018 Hyundai Sonata PHEVs at the event whose details will be released shortly. I was asked not to show them off so the profile, unique hybrid cascading grille, and interior bits will have to wait until the full release in a few weeks. The rear fascia is very similar if not a duplicate to the just released refreshed 2018 Hyundai Sonata so the next pic should be ok as well.

2018 Hyundai Sonata PHEV

[​IMG]

How did I commute to this new Hyundai campaign launch?

I have been asked more than a few times the past few weeks why all of this Hyundai, Hyundai, Hyundai "stuff"? As an owner of this 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited, the following pic speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

I left home, jumped on the 5 a mile later, set the Radar CC at 62 mph, and never touched the brakes or accelerator until the exit to Hyundai's U.S. Corporate HQ in Fountain Valley, Calif. right off the infamous 405 59-miles later. I consumed < 1 gallon of fuel to drive almost 60 miles in the most comfortable, affordable, and efficient full-size sedan you can buy today.

As Spicey would say, "PERIOD!"

If it were a 2017/2018 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid instead of our own std. 2017 Sonata Hybrid, I would have used far less than half a gallon to cover the same 59-mile distance!

The entire Hyundai lineup offers features, amenities, and affordability nobody in the industry can touch. We picked up our $36k retail Sonata HEV w/ the Tech pkg. for a touch under $30k new this past January. Marian is an EPA driver and consumes less than half the fuel she used to in the "Fuel Sucking Pig" CUV she used to drive. You can take that to the bank!

Your final answer is? The 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Marian Gerdes

Pros: Panoramic Sunroof, 50 percent less time at the pump to drive the same distance as before, easy to use and hidden rear window sunshades.

Cons: Apple CarPlay - No fault of Hyundai by any stretch.

Wayne Gerdes

Pros: Huge efficiency and range, comfortable front seats and driver ergonomics - ventilated front seats are to die for!, Harmon Clari-Fi Audio, Android Auto, Lifetime Battery Warranty, and out the door pricing.

Con's: Embedded NAVI, and that it is Marian's car, not mine. :D

Our next door neighbors to our left own a 16 Sonata SE while our new neighbors - as of two months ago - two homes down to my right own a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited Hybrid in white just like ours. Coincidence? I think not!

How is that for a Sonata Hybrid mini-review within the Electric Vehicle Charging event discussion? ;)

Looking forward, my review target list includes the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq in SEL trim and the upcoming Ioniq PHEV-27.

Finally, if you thought this January's Presidential Inaugurations crowd size was huge, here are some of the Hyundai Corporate HQ employees having a wonderful lunch to celebrate #chargingcentury with numerous media types like myself.

[​IMG]
    "This was the largest audience to ever witness ... Period!" :D

Levity aside, wouldn’t it be great if all Corporate Campus’ were so equipped?

BillLin likes this.
  2. Do i see a plug in santa cruz in the future?

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi James:

With the turbo diesel probably still-born, I bet the Subaru Bra... I mean Santa Cruz with the Ioniq drivetrain is not out of the realm of possibilities either!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.