Honda’s CR-V Hybrid Prototype Revealed in Frankfurt

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 20, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A drop in and … despite being a prototype, it is about time! :)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 5, 2017

Honda finally unveils the CR-V Hybrid Prototype at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show, Honda’s first electrified SUV. The Hybrid Prototype also features revised styling.

2018 Honda CR-V Hybrid Prototype

[​IMG]

The CR-V Hybrid Prototype represents the first time that the all-new CR-V has been shown at a European motor show. The world’s best-selling CUV is wider, taller and longer than the previous version.

The new CUV includes the latest Honda family ‘face’ with its signature headlamps, thinner A-pillars, and a larger wheel and tire combination.

The two-motor i-MMD (Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive) system in the CR-V Hybrid Prototype comes from the award-winning Accord Hybrid and includes the heavily atkinsonized 2.0L I4 for electrical energy generation and propulsion, and a separate electric generator motor. The hybrid system does not need a conventional transmission, fitted instead with a single fixed-gear ratio that creates a direct connection between moving components, enabling a smooth transfer of torque within the system.

The i-MMD system determines how to use fuel and electrical energy in the most efficient way, meaning there is no requirement on the driver to adjust between the three driving modes; EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive.

In EV Drive, the propulsion motor draws its power solely from the batteries, delivering EV mode. In Hybrid Drive, the gasoline engine supplies power to the electric generator motor, which in turn delivers power to the electric propulsion motor. In this mode, excess power from the gasoline engine is diverted back via the generator motor to recharge the battery pack. In Engine Drive, the wheels are directly driven by the gasoline engine, with an ‘on-demand’ peak power ‘boost’ available from the electric propulsion motor.

In most urban driving situations, the vehicle will move between Hybrid Drive and EV Drive for optimum efficiency. Engine Drive is engaged as needed for brisk acceleration and for efficient highway driving.

2018 Honda CR-V Prototype

[​IMG]

More details about the all-new Honda CR-V for Europe will be confirmed when the production specification vehicle is unveiled early next year. The new SUV will be officially launched in European markets in 2018.

Despite the current all-new CR-V being the most efficient CUV we have driven to date; the Hybrid will reduce consumption even further. It should only be a matter of time before we see it here in North America. I hope!

Mendel Leisk and BillLin like this.
  2. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

This one sounds very interesting. Looking forward to seeing what ends up in the US marketplace.

Mendel Leisk, xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

If it "features" the high price of the Accord hybrid, it won't probably won't matter whether it comes to the US or not. Presumably this will not have 4wd. I think it will be a poor seller here unless it is priced very competitively.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I personally don't see any use for a vehicle as tall as a school bus , but this could prove to be a winner for Honda , North American drivers , and the environment.

xcel and BillLin like this.