Q. How Many Biking Miles per week for Optimum Health? -- A. 50

Discussion in 'General' started by Carcus, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

2 hours 30 minutes at 12 mph = 30
    1 hour 15 minutes at 16 mph = 20
    30 + 20 = 50
    ymmv
    (and don't forget 2 weight lifting sessions as well)

Specifically, AHA guidelines specify performing at least two-and-a-half hours of moderate-intensity exercise (steady-state cardio) per week or one-and-a-quarter hours of vigorous exercise (high-intensity interval training) per week for optimal cardiovascular health. That’s in addition to at least two strength-training workouts per week.
    http://health.usnews.com/wellness/f...how-much-cardio-is-really-good-for-your-heart

xcel likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

Great info!

My bikes went to my sons so I have to buy new bikes for Marian and I. And ride some too!

Wayne

3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne, there's a lot of good bike choices out there.

/Starting out, or getting back into it: it's important to keep it fun (like riding for beer! , .. errr, I mean coffee,.. pepsi, .. whatever) and just ride at a speed that's comfortable.

4. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Looks like the same basic conclusions are coming from different large scale studies which have been completed in the last few years:

"The takeaway? The numbers are most stacked in your favor if you work out for an hour a day per week and if more than 30% of your weekly exercise is vigorous."
    http://www.byrdie.com/how-much-exercise-should-you-do

/or, ... more or less the same thing Jack Lalanne was practicing and preaching for the better part of a modern century.

//back in the day, when people worked (actually worked) for a living, (like sweaty-hauling-hay-back on the farm type stuff) ...you didn't have to worry about "how much exercise you were getting", .. seems like we're still catching up to our progress.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

16 mph is not "vigorous" or "high-intensity," unless hills or headwinds are a major factor.

Yes, I've done the "sweaty hauling hay back on the farm stuff," too---but not recently.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

For me , 16 MPH on a 27.5 mountain bike is pretty vigorous. But it's all relative.

Isn't that why bicycles were invented ?

7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Yes. Some ol' boy was twirling his handlebar mustache, staring at the foam rings in his beer glass .... and, ..... EUREKA!

8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The equipment and the rider will swing the "vigorous speed" substantially. I was thinking about someone on a hybrid commuter bike (perhaps with some panniers) as those seem to be pretty popular right now.

On the 50 miles ... probably still a good number to shoot for, but I have to give myself a failing grade in reading comprehension, as my listed source says 2.5 hrs moderate OR 1.25 hrs vigorous .... not AND.

/other studies push the optimum cardio hrs per week substantially higher. --
    -----
    New study says 30 minutes of exercise a day is not enough. You should double or quadruple that.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ercising-theyre-doing/?utm_term=.64933e97186e

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm short on the cardio, but I'm doing an hour of lifting five days a week.

My farm work consists of hauling a 5 gallon bucket of feed daily, and then a bucket or two of water. I've worked hard to optimize my daily chores. ;)

10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I think weight training can count as cardio if you're keeping your heart rate up at least in the 60% to 70% zone. Not sure about the bucket workout -- sounds like it might be "over-optimized".

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

16mph is pretty ambitious. I can hit that on level ground with my road bike but I'm really pushing it. The 50 mile/week figure depends on age. When I was in Driggs, and we had a great cycling road, I would ride 12 miles every other day at about 12mph. That was about right for my 60 years. Pushing much harder led to injury. Now that I'm away from beautiful Driggs, the riding is poor and dangerous here and I don't get out much. Sigh.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I have averaged 12-14 MPH this year on the 27.5" Giant for a 14.7 mile trip. I can go longer without a break , but that's how far it is to Metal Monkey.

On the 26" Trek , maybe a little faster. I used to compete with myself , and try to set a new record every time out.

Now I'm 64 , and have some asthma and knee issues. I'm hypermiling my body. I listen to my knees and other parts of my body for

the slightest whisper of a complaint. There are times when I actually stop pedalling !

In 2013 , when I had 13 weeks off work , I rode 200+ miles a week.

Of course, that was also right around the time Kelly lost all interest in sex, so I had a lot of energy to burn , lol.

Carcus likes this.
  13. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Abstinence --- the original PED.

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.