Current Fuel Economy And Ways To Improve

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Justin23, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Justin23

Justin23 Member

I went on a 109.5 mile trip and took exactly 5 gallons to refill. My calculations show a average of 21.9 mpg. Is this correct ? The trip was 95% hwy with speeds not exceeding 63 mph and no a/c usage.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes you are correct.

3. aarobins79

aarobins79 New Member

I bought a used, 1 owner, in pristine condition Toyota Prius. However, to my dismay I’m getting terrible gas mileage: 18-20mpg. Can anyone suggest what may be causing this? I’ve had it off to Toyota without much info coming back. I’ve read of these cars lasting 250,000 - 300,000 miles other than the mpg it works well.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Tip # 1 : don't be offended , but did you leave it in Ready mode when parked ?
    Tip #2 : A question , really. What is your average trip length ?

5. aarobins79

aarobins79 New Member

Not offended. My trip lengths vary from short trips around town to hour and a half each way highway trips. I put the car in park and am not aware of “ready” mode. I just pull it into the garage I’m in drive, I put on the break, then push Park. I’ve only had it three days.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

!! You have to turn the car off by pressing the "POWER" button. "Ready mode" means the thing is still live, when you see the word "READY" displayed on the dash. That should go off when you park and press "POWER."

aarobins79 likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Redyl also has a Prius . he knows what he's talking about. If you don't turn it off , it's in Ready Mode and the engine will start up and run from time to time to keep the batteries charged.
    I once left it in Ready Mode for 12 hours. When it's off, ALL the lights on the dash are off.

aarobins79 and RedylC94 like this.
  8. aarobins79

aarobins79 New Member

I must have managed to turn it off because none of the lights, nor the “ready” light has been on. When I stopped the car, but it operates differently and they didn’t show me how to use it so I’m reading the manual and trying to figure out the low gas mileage by reading through threads. If left on this would ruin gas mileage?

9. RedylC94

Yes, except the silly one that blinks on very briefly every two seconds.

10. RedylC94

Yes, if you leave it on long, because the engine will burn fuel intermittently, without adding any miles. It's easy to forget occasionally, even if you understand how it behaves, as Edwin pointed out.

11. aarobins79

aarobins79 New Member

I took it back into the dealership again today. As I think I’m turning it off correctly, but didn’t realize what ready mode was and kept wondering what was ready (blushing) on the console. I will have them show me how to turn it off just to be sure. As long as my foot is not on the break hitting power should shut the car down after I put it in park - right. This is what I’ve done? Thank you all!

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

I've done it more than twice. :) D'oh !

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I thought I missed something when I typed that.

14. You wouldn't be the only ones to leave it in ready mode. A friend of mine has one. Saw it in the parking lot at the grocery store when I went in. Yup it was running with no one in it. Told him inside. He said oh #$&!, Left his cart and ran out to turn it off.

Ive caught him twice so far

15. RedylC94

Yes, that's correct. Optional simplification: If you wish, you can skip the step of putting it in Park. Park will automatically be engaged when you hit POWER to shut down the car.

Let us know, please, whether your gas mileage improves.