A "new" vehicle is coming to my driveway...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

So I got a call from my uncle... He is giving me my late Grandfather's car. Not exactly a hypermiler's ideal vehicle, but pretty good on fuel for what it is. 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. Only 24,000 miles. Been garage kept since new. Sadly, I will part with my 81 Buick to make room in the driveway for it. At this point it would cost far more than the Buick is worth to fix it up the way I want it.

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

Anyway of selling both and getting into something for conductive to efficiency?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow-you still have that Buick-bought new??
    QC was very much hit and miss back then
    Maybe Buick-almost a Caddy-had better QC than Chevy Pontiac Olds??

Grand Marquis-all the LEOs use them-Crown Vics- there must be some reason-sturdy RWD- mature drivetrain-cheap easy to repair
    V-8 granted it is a 302- 5.0 V-8 but it is a V-8
    I'm not a FORD man
    Found On Road Dead Fix On Road Daily yeah can't resist
    But a Grand Marquis Crown Vic V-8 RWD something to be said for an old fashioned USA iron V-8

You are in Virginia-do they salt the roads?? No chance you could just throw a tarp over the Buick-leave it in the back yard??
    Yeah cruel fate for a reliable car-
    I'm surprisingly attached to the 1998 Suburban-only mine the last 10 years-never though a gas guzzling hulk could be so appealing-but it is owner proof

Good luck on the new car-V-8 USA Iron RWD can't pass that up!

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The Buick was 10 years old when I got it. It has gotten rusty, and there's a bad ground in there somewhere that's wrecking havoc with the gauges. Realistically speaking it is a project and/or parts car. I'm a member of a collectors group on Facebook, I think I'll offer it to one of the members there. It has been sitting with a tarp over it at my parent's house for a couple years now. I think I'll just part with it, and focus on keeping Grandpa's car nice.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

If you're only using it on the highway it wouldn't be a bad car to own. A Grand Marquis as a daily driver and short trips, the gasoline companies are going to love you.

If I remember someone said they had one a few years ago on the board and they were getting in the high twenties, low thirties at sane speeds on the highway.

Never complain about a free car with low miles. I'd go over it and replace all the fluids and filters, just to make sure it was as reliable as it can be.

6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I gotta admit, I've always had a soft spot for the big Ford Panther cars. I've rented them a couple times, and can second the ~30mpg highway score. Around town low 20s isn't unusual. They ride well and don't drive as large as they seem. Quirky dash layout. 4.6l is grunty but doesn't like to rev, so it lends itself to sedate driving. Plus, free car is always a nice thing. That's how I got into the Echo.

Sorry about the circumstances, though.

7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

It will not be a daily driver. The FEH will still be my primary vehicle. This will be the roadtrip/go out to dinner car. I get complaints when my housemate wants to go out to dinner because the seats in the FEH either have dog hair or dirt on them. (I take our dog to the dog park regularly, and I work for a plant company so I'm always hauling plants in the FEH.) Probably looking at under 1,000 miles/yr unless I take it on a trip somewhere.

Also, I will go ahead and flush all fluids as it is 13 years old, and make sure everything is filled with synthetic. I did that with my K1500 when it was 10 years old, and my mechanic raves about how nice the K1500 runs and drives. I also will have to look at the tires, I suspect it probably still has the original tires on it, so a new set of tires would probably be the safe thing to do.

All this, and my uncle is giving it to me, and paying to have all the required maintenance, repairs, and required inspections done. He wants to see the car kept in the family, and knows I'll be a good caretaker for it.

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:
    I am in complete agreement. :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  9. Agron

Agron New Member

That's awesome. I'd want something like that to remain in the family as well.

xcel likes this.
  10. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Those are ancient! I believe you mixed up the second one, which was "Fix or Repair Daily."