2006 HCH 2 acting really strange

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Stephen Thomas, Sep 12, 2017.

1. I was driving my car to clinicals, I am in my last semester of school to be a Nurse. The brake light went off but braking was not impaired. At lunch, a few hours later, I went to move my car and the power steering was gone. I could barely turn the car, the gear light by drive was blinking like something was wrong with the alternator and the radio was turning on and off. My car would barely start after that. I had to have it towed to my house. I hooked my grid charger up to my IMA batter and it read that it had a charge of 158 volts. I connected the OBD 2 scanner in my car and it pulled up these codes U0110, P0A47F and U1205. Any insight as to what might be going on would be helpful.

BillLin likes this.
  2. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Bad 12V. Have it LOAD tested. Simply checking voltage does not suffice.

Note that you do not have an alternator. 12V charging is through the IMA motor/IMA battery/DC-DC converter

158V resting is a flat hybrid battery.

BillLin likes this.
  3. Can you clarify Flat hybrid battery?

BillLin likes this.
  4. Also, I had it jumped a couple of times, although just for half a minute, but it did not do much to make anything go away. If it was 12V would it have done more? Just curious not trying to debate. I know you have a lot more knowledge to go on than I do.

BillLin likes this.
  5. S Keith

Bad 12V. Have it load tested. Multiple jumps are just screaming at you that your 12V is bad. Multiple codes from different sources also scream bad 12V.

Furthermore, if your 12V is >2 years old, more chance that it's bad.

Flat hybrid battery = nearly depleted of usable charge. In most cases, a healthy HCH2 hybrid battery after an overnight sit will have a resting voltage >165V.

Stephen Thomas and BillLin like this.
  6. S Keith

P.S. Your 12V is bad.

Stephen Thomas and BillLin like this.
  7. S Keith

P.P.S. It is possible there are other issues, but step 1 is the 12V. P0A47F is not valid. P0A7F is a failed hybrid battery.

If your hybrid battery has failed, that can impact your 12V charging, but P0A7F can be tripped by a bad/weak/marginal 12V.

BillLin likes this.
  8. So I had my 12V load tested at O'Reilly's as suggested. The machine showed it could not hold a charge. Thank you for the recommendation. I got a new 12V for $0 because it was only 24 months old and I installed it just an hour ago. Right after I installed the 12V, I did an 8 mile loop in the car around town. The feel of the car while driving it is completely normal, brakes feel normal, steering wheel now turns as it should and the gears kick in as normal. However, the IMA bars will not show the green charging light and only one bar shows for the battery bars. The gear light is still blinking, the 12 V light still comes on and powersteering light as well even though the car drives like it did now. I ran the codes on the OBD2 and it brought up U0110 and U1205. I connected my grid charger for about 30 seconds and it read a charge of 149 for the IMA battery charge. I did do something stupid on Sunday. I was so desperate to fix my car and thought maybe it was the end, I charged my car with the grid charger for about 30 minutes even though the fan has been pulsing and not running continously like it should. After about twenty minutes the fan quite pulsing and quite running altogether. Stupid I know. I do not know what this did to my car or batter as well and why if I got a new 12V and everything feels like it is running, why the car is reporting so many problems? Thank you for the help.

BillLin likes this.
  9. S Keith

30 minutes of charging isn't going to hurt anything. Even a couple hours would have been fine. Your IMA system has been inoperative for a while, so your IMA battery is losing its charge, and no amount of grid charging is going to help things as the U0110/U1205 codes are the culprits of most of your woes.

Per our offline conversation, your 12V isn't charging. I'm looking at the diagnostic tree for the combined U0110/U1205 codes that you confirmed at OReilly. It COULD be something as simple as a blown fuse or a bad fan, or something as frustrating as a short in a wire... ew.

With overnight 12V charging, you should be able to drive as much as 50 miles if you don't use any A/C or 12V powered items (blower, lights, radio, phone charger, etc.). That takes some of the pressure off knowing you have at least short range reliability. Hopefully, we can avoid a trip to the dealership.

BillLin likes this.
  10. S Keith

An update.

It turns out the 10A IMA fuse in the under-hood aux fuse box was blown. This may be related to fan issues he's having, which MIGHT be related to the fan controller on the HA unit.

His car is fully operational with 12V charging and full IMA function.

Carcus and BillLin like this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Great job, guys!

12. Sorry for the late response. Have to give a big shout out to S Keith. He has been a tremendous help in solving this problem. So the next day after I replaced the 10A, the 7.5 A also blew on my way to school. Last Monday I disconnected the connection from the batter to the fan since it is likely that is tripping the fuse. I was a little worried because the IMA batter did not come on after I connected everything, minus the fan, and turned it on and started the car up. However the next day the IMA bars showed up and I have not had any problems since. Considering that I could have paid 160 dollars for a honda diagnostic at the Stealership as an Oreilly coined it and whatever else, I feel fortunate and grateful that I paid the 60 dollar to get my car towed home instead of the dealership and that I found your website and guiding wisdom thank you again. Stephen Thomas

BillLin likes this.