Where to find the info?

Discussion in 'General' started by Vintageom, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Vintageom

Vintageom New Member

My son is currently preparing a research on cars. Do you know any website that contains general and easy-to-understand information on VIN number and different car makes, and is good for comparison?

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. RoweK

RoweK Member

3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

How old is your son, and how much information are you looking for? Is the topic VIN variables among car makes? I would think it would be more interesting to analyze the VIN mathematically, sharing how you can determine the factory/plant location, model year, engine installed and other interesting encoded tidbits.

4. Vintageom

Vintageom New Member

My son is 15 and he is fond of cars! :) He even has his own Model car collection. So he always learns something new about vehicles.

Thanks for a great piece of advice! I will definitely offer him to analyze the VIN mathematically ;)

5. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

He can find plenty of content online that he can compile and create a research paper on the VIN structure and content.
    If he's really young, the crowd will ooh and aah over the first digit showing country of origin. The model year is hiding later on, just before the plant code and serial number. 0-9 are 2000-2009, then A is 2010, B is 2011, and so on. The 8th digit is the engine code, which is handy when searching for used cars - it allows the shopper to avoid unreliable/defective engines.
    I have shocked people in the past by giving them the first three or four digits of the VIN of their car when they tell me the make and model. It's easy unless they have one of those cars that are built in more than one country, like GM or FCA pickups, Hyundai Elantra (K or 5 VIN), Kia Forte (K or 3 VIN), and several Honda and Toyota models that can be made in Japan (J), Canada (2), or USA (1,4,5).