Bought a blue hatchback to replace my blue hatchback

Discussion in 'General' started by seftonm, Aug 22, 2017.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I put in an order at a dealer for a Civic Hatchback Sport, which was originally expected to arrive in July or August. It hasn't been built yet, so it's not likely to arrive from jolly old England any time soon. So I started to look around to see what else was out there and found a good deal on this...

IMG_20170819_140026.jpg IMG_20170820_190656.jpg

It's pretty much the same as what I ordered, but a Sport Touring instead of a Sport. It had 7k miles on it, and ended up being cheaper than the Sport that I ordered. There's a few features I really don't need like the GPS navigation, but there are a few things that I did want that aren't available on the Sport, like the LED headlights. Still a 6-speed manual, too.

On the highway, it's surprisingly close to my emissions cheating TDI, maybe 10% less efficient. It's a much bigger gap in the city, but I think some of that is that I still need to learn how to drive it more efficiently. The Golf will go for the VW buyback in a few weeks. It was a great car and I will miss it, too bad about the emissions cheating though.

TheFordFamily, Ken Moran, Jay and 5 others like this.
  2. Markus

Markus Active Member

Very nice!

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Sweet! Considering your location well north of most other CleanMPG'ers, I'd be interested in hearing how the LED headlights fare in icy slush conditions where I am reading that they don't generate enough heat to melt the accumulating snow and ice crust. I am wondering if there is a Rain-X type of coating that can be applied to the acrylic headlight lens to allow owners to knock the crust off the lens without scratching it.

It's a great car, and it will be fun seeing what it offers in your capable hands as you learn its "mpg personality" and fine tune the techniques that will bring out the best in it.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice car , Mike !

xcel, TheStepChild and BillLin like this.
  5. seftonm

Road trip time! I was finally able to use a V-Power gift card that I got from Wayne :D

803114952_89297.jpg

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

Yeah!!! :)

Hey, what is that parachute on the roof for? :D

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's a spoiler, to minimize lift and increase MPGs.

8. seftonm

Exactly. Also, we decided to buy a few things and needed a little more room.

804723459_7253.jpg

Ken Moran, BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

All the geometric angles on this car made me think of the following. :D

stealth-like.jpg

Edit: The Civic is much more handsome, of course! This bike, not so much.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Jay and xcel like this.
  10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I like the "spoiler on the roof" because it's not a bed on a full sized truck. Maximum utility with minimal excess. Just my kind of thing. (Fit with a trailer hitch)

And that DOES look good in a dark color with all the blacked-out trim.

BillLin, seftonm and xcel like this.
  11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I take it that you have the Canadian model because the US sport touring hatch only has CVT. I am in a similar situation. I ordered an LX hatch with 6MT in late June. I just visited the dealer yesterday to ask if they had a VIN and delivery date yet. Nope. If the car doesn't arrive by Oct, I can opt out (because I made them write that into the deposit contract). I have a decision to make in Oct, most likely, because it doesn't look hopeful that the car will arrive by then. Did you put a deposit down when you ordered at the dealer and, if so, did you forfeit it?

12. seftonm

Yes, it's the Canadian model with the 6-speed manual. It's a shame that Americans get stuck with the CVT if they want certain other features :(

I didn't put a deposit down when I made my order, but I did get in writing that the car would be here in July or August. So similar to you, I expect that I would be able to get a refund on the deposit, because the conditions of the deposit were not met. I talked with the dealer earlier this week, they said that my order became a 2018 model and would be here around December if I wanted to continue waiting.

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I was told it would take two to three months. When Honda accepted the order from the dealer they said it would be a 2018 model also. This brings up a sticky situation because I had already negotiated the price when I ordered. I found out just yesterday that the 2018 models have a $200 markup across the board. No other changes--just the higher price. So, who must eat that higher price? Me? I'm already angry that Honda is giving the middle finger to 6MT customers by making us wait. Now they're adding injury to insult.

14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Nice! I'll agree with Andrew...the dark colors suit this car well. Looks like you're enjoying it already :)

BillLin likes this.
  15. seftonm

First model year bugs, except mine's the second model year... I can't get the trip history to display fuel economy for previous trips, it just shows "--.-". I searched and found a few posts about it on other forums, it doesn't sound like the cause or remedy is known yet, other than replacing the entire head unit :confused:. There seem to be posts going back to 2012 for other Hondas showing this same glitch. Ugh. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/8...ip-computer-not-calculating-mileage-help.html

IMG_20170901_064406.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  16. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new car -- it looks sharp.

I haven't had any trouble with trip A history, but ...

- I reset trip A with the odometer stem (when trip A miles are showing in the display). I don't use the "reset automatically with fillup" feature.

17. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

I looked back at the two 2016 Touring Sedan w/ the 1.5T week(s), the 16 Coupe w/ the 1.5T, the 17 Hatch w/ the 1.5T, and 17 Hatch w/ the 1.5T and a stick review pics. I did not take any pics of the 2017s central aFCD displays but I did take two of the center aFCD displays from the two 2016 sedans to show what previous journalists achieved when I picked them up. Here is one of them.

2016 Honda Civic Sedan 1.5T

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do not remember seeing the -- displayed in any of the 5 I drove. Honda would surely have the Press Fleet vehicles updated with the absolutely latest flashes and HW versions however. I did reset the aFCDs by the push button in the cluster on all of them and that could have something to do with the displays showing up? A WAG here.

IHTHs?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  18. seftonm

Thanks, Wayne! I set mine to reset when the car is turned off. I'll try using the push button instead to see what happens.

19. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Hmm. That's odd. It works fine on our 2014 Odyssey.

20. seftonm

I couldn't get the display to work using the manual reset either, so went to the dealer to get some help. They tried a few things including resetting my settings to default and changing units to MPG, but nothing seemed to work. They are going to check with Honda and get back to me.

I'm getting more used to the car. Still struggling to be smooth sometimes, but getting better. City trips are pretty close to the Golf's consumption, especially if I'm not starting from a cold start. Highway are also close in ideal conditions, but a headwind really drops the mileage down a lot more than I'm used to. I'm sure the gearing isn't helping either, but extra load seems to hurt it more than the gearing. I am curious how the dense winter air and extra rolling resistance from winter tires will affect things, that season is just around the corner.

I'm surprised how many people have commented on the car's appearance, and it's all been positive. Who would have thought that something as common as a Civic would get so many comments.

BillLin, Jay and xcel like this.