Honda’s Turbo Diesel Is Now Even More Efficient!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 17, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The proven most efficient turbo diesel in the world receives efficiency updates.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 17, 2017

2018 Honda Civic 1.6L iDTEC

[​IMG]

For European consumption, Honda just introduced a revised 118 hp and 221 lb.-ft. of torque 1.6L i-DTEC turbo diesel I4 powers the 10th gen Civic from zero to 60 in just 10.3 seconds. The revised turbo diesel will be available in the 10th gen Honda Civic beginning in March of 2018.

Remember that the current iteration of this engine set a European Circumnavigation Lowest Fuel Consumption Guinness World Record just two summers ago.

Honda Civic Tourer Sets Guinness World Record in Europe

The new engine is one of the first engines to be tested under the new Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) fuel consumption and emissions cycle, which will be a bit more realistic efficiency testing for European consumers.

The current New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) test is based on a theoretical driving profile on a dynamometer whereas the WLTP cycle was developed using actual driving data gathered from around the world. It is designed to produce results closer to a real-world driving efficiency the average consumer could expect to achieve.

The newly revised engine includes significant improvements to the internals and exhaust system to maximize real world efficiency. The efficiency enhancements result in fuel economy and CO2 emissions of 66.3 mpgUS and 99g/km under the new WLTP cycle.

The improvements to the 1.6L i-DTEC turbo diesel include a reduction in cylinder friction thanks in part to pistons made from chromium-molybdebnum steel alloy and ‘super plateau honing’ of the bores to enable smoother piston movement.

The 1,597cc engine uses the same Bosch fuel injection system as before, and features a small, high-efficiency turbocharger, low-pressure EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system and a high-intake flow, high-swirl cylinder head port. A high-strength, lightweight slender crankshaft and all-aluminum, open-deck, high-pressure, die-cast engine block minimize the engine’s weight.

For the new i-DTEC, additional cast ribs have been added to the cylinder block to increase structural rigidity and, consequently, improve the management of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

A new 9-speed AT will further bolster the Civic’s powertrain options in mid-2018, representing its first ever application in a FWD car.

Honda’s new 1.6L i-DTEC is also one of the first engines to be officially tested through the Real Driving Emission (RDE) procedure to validate NOx and particulate (PM) emission levels. Instead of a DPF, Honda is using a Lean NOx Trap Cat. The new NOx Storage Converter (NSC) system with larger catalysts and a higher content of noble metals (silver, platinum and neodymium) that store nitrogen oxide gas until the regeneration cycle. A soot sensor accurately detects when the regeneration cycle is required, extending exhaust component durability.

Assembled at Honda of the UK Manufacturing in Swindon, the revised engine will be available in both the four-door sedan and five-door hatch 10th gen Civic.

2018 Honda Civic with the 1.6L iDTEC

[​IMG]
    I would, I want! :)

wxman, Carcus and BillLin like this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Diesel is NOT dead??? .... somebody tell the Germans. (and I'd love to see their reaction -- maybe another one of those "hitler rant" vids)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This makes two engine options available in Europe for the Civic that aren't available here: the 3 cylinder 1.0L Earthdreams gas-turbo and this diesel.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I blame VW for the US not having any Honda diesels. They tried to bring a diesel Accord over after the first gen hybrid, but couldn't figure out how VW was passing emissions without losing performance and fuel economy back then.

wxman and BillLin like this.
  6. Jurgis

Jurgis Member

Here some words from Germany.
    Difficult to find out who should be blamed.

In the 80th VW develloped a motor built in a VW Polo (called Oeko-Polo) with 140 mpgUS and 45 g/km CO2.
    The price for this Polo was three times as much as a conventional Polo that time. Of cause nobody bought this car and VW said that people have no interest in saving engergy. Of cause not, not for this price.
    In fact it was a conventional Polo like all the others, just motor and clutch have been modified. The price has been artificially set too high so that nobody bought it.

In Germany the electricity is produced mainly in coal engergy plants. For every mile we drive pure electrical there is more CO2 produced then if we would drive a diesel.
    The fuel consumption of hybrid cars is still too high. I know about a project with an economical plug-in-hybrid using a diesel motor which reaches 190 mpgUS without external charging of the batteries. This car will not be allowed to be produced.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

So , not all wacky conspiracy theories come from Americans, I guess.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

With the will, the electric grid can be cleaned up. A new coal plant can be more efficient than an existing one, and old plants can be equipped with some newer pollution controls. A Norwegian company is working on thorium fuel rods that should be a near drop in replacement for uranium ones in existing plants.

That can not be done with an ICE car. Even a hybrid's emissions will increase over the car's life. Then as the easy to get oil is used up, we'll switch to more energy intensive sources, so those cars upstream emissions will increase. Right now, a large part of vehicle emissions are made up of the few older ones that are kept on the road.

9. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Interesting that Honda will offer this with a 9 speed automatic. Good to see they're not "tied at the bell housing" to their CVT.

/No rock-solid data (i.e. steady states) ,.. but I've watched a few reviews and read some owner comments,... it does appear that the "old" 1.6 diesel with 6mt could manage 55 mpg (us) driven somewhat conservatively (not hypermiling).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017