2018 Chevrolet Equinox Turbo Diesel – 39 mpg highway

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 14, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A long wait that is finally here with a segment leading EPA highway result.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 14, 2017

2018 Chevrolet Equinox FWD Turbo Diesel – $31,435 (incl. the $945 D&H Charge) when it arrives at dealerships nationwide this fall. A 39 mpgUS highway figure is a sight to behold. :)

2018 Chevrolet Equinox

A fluff advert but still good. And it lists a 40-mpg highway rating.​

The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox when equipped with the 240 lb-ft. of torque 1.6L Turbo Diesel w/ Stop Start offers an EPA-certified 39 mpg on the highway (FWD model). And it’s B20 compatible as well.

From the release, GM stated the 1.6L TD is a clean-sheet “redesign” developed entirely within GM, including the engine control system. Development was driven from GM’s diesel product center in Torino, Italy, and involved more than 24,000 hours of computational analysis, while simulated and real-world testing totaled more than 4.35 million miles of driving.

Can GM's latest beat the AWD 27/33 mpg city/highway rated 2017 CR-V which provided an eye-popping 56.5 mpg on our drive from LA to San Diego in AWD trim this Spring? That is a real good question. ;)

What is the most efficient AWD vehicle available in North America today?

wxman and BillLin like this.
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

.... so "CUV-ing" a drivetrain (going from small sedan to compact utility vehicle) will cost you about 15% in EPA efficiency, ... and I would guess something closer to 20% real world.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

The 17 Cruze TDs 31 mpg city compared to the 1.4L gas engine's 30 mpg rating was not a highlight. I suspect the city fall off is going to be pretty harsh for the Equoinox as well. I looked for it in the EPA full specs and the TD has not yet been incorporated.

Wayne

Carcus and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 Pip and 2017 Prime

Unless the conversion is more along the lines of suspension lifts and body cladding. e.g. Mazda 3/CX-3 and Subaru Impreza/Crosstrek

I did a quick grab of some numbers from fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/crosstrek/2017/
    the 2017 Subaru Crosstrek gets a combined Avg MPG of 27.07 with a 0.25 MPG margin of error.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza/2017?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=3&submodel_id=
    the 2017 Subaru Impreza gets a combined Avg MPG of 29.52 with a 0.34 MPG margin of error.

27.07/29.52 - 0.917

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-3/2017
    the 2017 Mazda CX-3 gets a combined Avg MPG of 28.92 with a 0.61 MPG margin of error.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2017?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=3&submodel_id=
    the 2017 Mazda 3 gets a combined Avg MPG of 31.93 with a 0.45 MPG margin of error.

28.92/31.93 = 0.906

I remember the old RAV-4 being built on the Celica platform, I think... that's more like the Equinox situation. Major conversions take a huge weight and aero penalty. At least with the ruggedized regular cars, the capability of more efficient daily driving is there despite the EPA rating hit.

Carcus and xcel like this.
  5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

My "closer to 20%" guess is from sedan to CUV., ... and Your "fuelly grab" is showing a less than 10% real world difference

but ....

the fuelly numbers referenced are "polluted" with hatchbacks and wagons, I think. (i.e. a lot of your referenced sedans are not sedans) (?)

/not going to deny the 'capability' is there for "(miserly drivetrain) utility shapes" with efficient driving, but efficient driving will have to stay in the sub-65 mph regime.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    xcel and BillLin like this.
  6. BillLin

Point taken. I didn't realize you were putting the emphasis on sedan shapes as well as the change to bigger volumes.

xcel and Carcus like this.
  7. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I would like to see the Equinox or similar platform with the Volt type system. Perhaps a 25 KWH lightweight battery flat platform type for maximum interior space. A highly fuel efficient gasoline engine with a 4 cylinder direct injection and specifically tuned and designed to run on 87 octane with maximum fuel efficiency. Also a 6.6 KWH or 7.2 KWH charging system with all wheel drive. I believe you would have a Equinox or similar vehicle with 75 miles of 100% full electric range, along with the gas engine delivering 35-40 mpg's or more when running just on gas. This is entirely possibly now, and GM could do it.

I believe that diesel engines are not as fuel efficient as they once were. Diesel fuel back in the past, in the 1970's when I purchased my first 1977 VW Rabbit Diesel, was always less per gallon that gasoline, trying now to remember some places regular gas would be 55 cents per gallon and diesel would be 45-49 cents per gallon, some place even less. During the gas crisis I could get all the diesel I wished with no lines and diesel was far less per gallon than gas.

Today diesel fuel is nearly always more than regular gas and at times more then even premium gas as well. All new diesels engines today have a tank on board with Urea which needs to be filled or you engine will not operate correctly. Urea is not free. Also the engine will sometimes run using a large amount of fuel to burn off pollutants in the exhaust system which is referred to as "regen". Diesel engines always have a premium price today, maybe $2,000-$3,000 more.

8. BillLin

I think the problem would be that something like that would have to sell in the $45-50k range. The regular Equinox LT already sells for $35k. (not considering $$ on the hood of course...)

xcel likes this.
  9. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

That's my guess as well, at least a $10k premium for the extended range battery pack PHEV.

.... and that's before we start talking about the "end of life" scenario for that pack, which has been largely ignored/glossed over. I think it's likely that in 7 or 10 or 12 years, .(whatever it ends up being) whoever's left "holding the bag" will have to pay to get rid of that bag.

http://www.euractiv.com/section/transport/interview/umicore-chief-recycling-comes-at-a-cost/