VW I.D. Buzz - “2017 Concept Truck of the Year”

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 10, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] For the second time!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 10, 2017

2017 VW I.D. Buzz Concept - 270 miles of All-electric range battery electric concept Microbus. :)

2017 VW I.D. Buzz

[​IMG]

For the second year in a row, a VW concept – the I.D. Buzz BEV -- has been named “2017 Concept Truck of the Year” at the 16th Annual North American Concept Vehicle of the Year Awards. The I.D. Buzz was honored from a panel of judges who praised its inventive combination of electric mobility and forward-thinking style based on the throwback Microbus without mimicking it. The award ceremony was held at the Concours d’Elegance of America at St. John’s in Plymouth, Mich., on July 30, 2017.

The new electric MPV concept is the second model in the three I.D. concept vehicles shown so far. Built on the Modular Electric Drive Matrix (MEB), the I.D. Buzz highlights how electric power can be suited to larger vehicles, offering maximum utilization of space on the footprint similar to that of a medium-size passenger car. With the batteries and the drive system that provide an estimated AWD range of up to 270 miles housed in the floor, the driver and passengers find lots of space for traveling in comfort – along with up to 162.5 cu. ft. of cargo volume inside with the rear seats folded.

The Buzz carries Microbus design cues but its tech is definitely 21st century!

How about a retractable steering wheel that senses the driver’s intentions? And the headlights and exterior lighting that can provide communication with pedestrians based on its I.D. Pilot autonomous driving mode. Then you have the ambient lighting inside and out provide a visual signature that make the I.D. Buzz unmistakable and timeless.

More than two dozen jurors participated in the selection process of the North American Concept Vehicle of the Year Awards. Twenty vehicles, each introduced to North America during this season's auto shows in LA, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, and New York, were judged.

The four award categories included: “Production Preview Vehicle,” “Concept Car,” “Concept Truck,” and “Most Significant Concept Vehicle.” The I.D. Buzz beat out other finalists in the “Concept Truck” category, which assessed vehicles with the primary attributes of user-configurable cargo volume and weight capacity. “Most Significant Concept Vehicle” is chosen from among winners of the three other categories and is determined by the car with the highest total score.

Given this is the second time the I.D. Buzz has been awarded, I suspect there may be a good chance to see this on the road in the not too distant future.

On a personal basis, I cannot wait to drive this beauty! :)

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

I like it but I am concerned with front crumple zones. There appears to be lots of room between driver/front-passenger and the windshield, so there's probably lots of room under the front dash. I wonder if there could be additional storage in there?

xcel likes this.
  3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

VW really needs to build some working prototypes! I like this vehicle and the I.D. as well. They have got a really clean design sense, and they seem to be very practical (save the multiple element head lights).

The crumple zone on EV's is more effective (all else being equal) because there is no large lump, that has to be worked around. The I.D. Buzz essentially has moved the windshield forward, so there the structure is forward of where it is in most cars. The distance from the front seats to the front bumper is similar to many vehicles. So, it should be fine.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi, 2017 Prime

I was surprised at how engine-like it was under the hood of a Nissan Leaf. I guess they had to do something with all that useless space. :D It could have been as spacious as the Model 3's front compartment.

xcel likes this.
  5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

On one hand i am excited by this, but on the other hand it pisses me off.
    VW teased me once before, back in 2011, with the Bulli concept vehicle. According to VW back then, it was all but a shoo-in for production. I showed my wife and she fell in love with it and wanted one. Then VW , like Lucy, "yanked the football".
    Sooooooo, fast forward 6 years and here we are again. Do i dare to get excited once again at the possibility of being able to buy a VW like this? Or will VW screw me again, so that they can send some more 3 row behemoths here? I would love to be able to put something like this in my garage, and with AWD and a 200+ mile range, it would allow me to whittle my stable down to a manageable level. C'mon VW, make the right decision for a damn change!

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. dr61

dr61 Well-Known Member

Agree, time to get these on the road!

BillLin likes this.