Care Care - Rain-X Window Treatment

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Aug 8, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

One of the last mandatory setup items I add prior to any long drive is a Rain-X treatment of the exterior windows.

A 3.5 oz. bottle is less than $3.00 at Walmart and there is enough to complete the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq's windows maybe 10 to 15 times before running out.

I pre-cleaned the windows the night before with Windex. A 50/50 vinegar/water solution works even better to remove any previous debris and/or wax with no residue. And really get them clean.

I waited until next morning and wiped down the exterior windows with a clean dry micro-fiber cloth.

I then install Rain-X by adding a few squirts to a clean cloth and begin rubbing it in a circular pattern across the window. I provide a few fresh squirts for every half of the windscreen rear hatch glass. One squirt will take care of both side windows.

Once it begins to dry you will see a smeared haze - this occurs practically immediately. Let it set for another few minutes. You can use a wet towel or dry paper towels to wipe off the haze. After doing it once, I reapply in the same fashion for a second coat.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq - Rain-X application

[​IMG]
    It is hard to see with the heavy morning overcast but there is a slight smeary looking haze on all the exterior glass.​

I will reapply another prior to any long-distance drive just to make sure the windows are treated and have no smears.

Depending on the distance, I might bring the bottle with me in case I need to reapply on the road a few thousands of miles and numerous Thunder/Rain storms later.

[​IMG]
    Two applications complete and she is ready for the road!​

All-in, less than 45-minutes from start to finish for two applications.

Wayne

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  2. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Nice writeup!
    I'm the lazy guy who uses the Rain-X washer fluid. :D

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jon:

I do not blame you! :D

A warning to those with the latest MY vehicles. Rain-X Washer Fluid can/will eventually foul the washer fluid level transducer for those vehicles so equipped. If this happens, run a solution of 50/50 water/vinegar through the washer tank on the next fill and it should clean the sensing unit back to factory new.

Wayne

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I noticed that in our 2010 Prius I am using since last year Rain X Washer Fluid and only half the flow comes out of the nozzles. I will fill with a 50/50 vinegar solution when it gets a little lower. I will use white vinegar as well.

BillLin and xcel like this.