40 Years of Energy from Alaska’s North Slope

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 24, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] BP was there from the start and continues as the majority stakeholder today.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – June 20, 2017

40 years on Alaska's North Slope have provided over 12.5 billion barrels of domestically produced oil with 280,000 barrels per day still being produced.

When oil started pumping from Alaska's Prudhoe Bay field on 20 June 1977, estimates pointed to a 30-year production life span with potential for 9.6 billion barrels. After 40 years, Prudhoe Bay is the most productive US oil field in history generating more than 12.5 billion barrels over the past four decades.

How does BP's strategic shift towards natural gas and highly competitive oil production work within the aging North Slope of Alaska Oil production? Four decades ago, the first oil that was pumped started flowing down the Trans-Alaskan pipeline from Prudhoe Bay to the port of Valdez.

That inaugural barrel of oil was the result of work that had begun when hydrocarbons were discovered by ARCO in 1959. BP also began working in Alaska in 1959 with initial drilling at the massive Prudhoe Bay oil field in 1968 and helping build the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System in the mid-70s.

Since Prudhoe Bay began production in June 1977, it has generated more than 12.5 billion barrels of oil - far exceeding initial projections of 9.6 billion - thanks in part to enhanced oil recovery technologies that BP pioneered. Four decades later, Prudhoe Bay remains one of North America’s largest oil fields.

All of the facilities supporting oil production are located in a 312 square-mile footprint at Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope, a flat land that extends 88,000 square miles from the foothills of the Brooks Mountain Range to the Arctic Ocean. The tundra thaws each year but the subsurface remains frozen year-round. Buildings are erected on stilts to keep the ground from thawing and turning into mush.

The vast majority of people who visit the Slope arrive by specially chartered airliners that are operated by energy companies, although the Dalton Highway used by trucks and the occasional tourist brings in the heavy supplies from the south.

Weather on the North Slope ranges from cold to extremely cold. The average low temperature in January is – 24 degrees Fahrenheit (°F), with average ‘summer’ highs in July of just 54°F.

The people who were the original North Slope pioneers were charting new territory in working and living in a polar environment and now, some 40 years later, many are still there.

BillLin likes this.
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow-lotta' oil
    I think we use 17 million barrels per day
    12 billion is not quite 2 years worth I think
    we use a lot of oil

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Yes, we do use a lot of oil in the U.S. Its good we use U.S. oil, and don't have to depend on other oil sources that perhaps are not so friendly with America. Until we can take a big step forward in alternative energy we are pretty much stuck on the nipple of oil. We will be clear of oil, for the most part we still use petroleum in other products, when a fully loaded Boeing 747 can take off, climb to 40,000 feet and cruise near 600 mph for 7,000,8,000 miles and then land safely many time zones away, without Petroleum. Right now we can only do that with Petroleum.

I feel good that my wife and I do our part. We recycle, I drive a 2010 Prius, my wife, a 2016 Volt Premier, even our lawn mower is rechargeable electric. We are not tree huggers, I hunt and fish, and support logging here in the northwest. Trees grow fast here, more than any place I have ever lived. I recall fir trees that were planted 25 years ago when I first moved here. Now they are well over 50 feet tall and can be harvested and replanted just like we do other crops.

I applaud the men and women back in the 1960's that began the war on cleaning up the enviorment in the U.S. I grew up in Naugatuck, Connecticut, and back in 1960's the Naugatuck River was a chemical and running cess pool. Nothing could live there and the smell would take the air out of your lungs. Manufacturing was big in those days and nearly all manufacturing was along the Naugatuck River.

Today, that river runs clean, even Atlantic Salmon, the canary in the coal mine, have been swimming up the river, along with trout and other fish, that were missing for well over 100 years or more. Mother Nature, when you give her a chance, will literally work miracles.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

HI Charlie:

I bet the Russian's wish they did not sell it to us for just $7.2 million USD on March 30, 1867. This is the equivalent of just $111 million USD in today's $s. Vastly improved security and the mineral wealth...

Alster, very true. Someday all of this will probably be just a 150 to 200 year time line that will be looked upon with great interest as the years we were trying to cook ourselves.

Wayne