More on the 18 Nissan LEAF

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by xcel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Meet the e-Pedal.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – July 21, 2017

After what seems to be the tenth slow release of new info on the upcoming all-new LEAF, Nissan announced that they have their own version of one pedal driving mode called e-Pedal. I am not a fan unless it is incorporated with a robust yet smooth acting RCC in which no pedal driving is enforce.

With the flip of a switch, the Nissan e-Pedal allows you to accelerate, decelerate and stop using just the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal is still there as well but you know where this could lead in the future.

Nissan’s e-Pedal is the world's first one-pedal operation that allows drivers to bring the car to a complete stop even on hills, stay in position, and resume driving instantly.

Nissan said you can complete 90 percent of your daily driving needs with just the e-Pedal. And somehow it is supposed to make driving more exciting. Yes, they said exactly that. :D

In heavy traffic and during city commutes, drivers will reduce the number of times they need to switch from the accelerator to the brake, making the daily grind simpler and more engaging.

The e-Pedal technology is another addition to Nissan's commitment of accessible, advanced driver assistance technologies. This technology is but a part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company's blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered, and integrated into society.

Early conclusions? Modulating your accelerator pedal for traffic flow and the occasional swap to the brake is hard enough. Imagine having to modulate the accelerator for all aspects of the drive. I have been in numerous EVs capable of one pedal driving and am just not a fan. Thank goodness it can be switched off and hopefully we will receive full glide capability from the much anticipated, all-new, 2018 Nissan LEAF for some real range extension vs. convenience feature. Or maybe there will be a full glide capability built in somehow? I am not sure how the two could coexist in the same system however?

BillLin likes this.
  2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I agree that 1-pedal fascination is unfortunate. It might be "convenient" but it is not more efficient.

If the new Leaf has coasting while in D (and with the e-Pedal toggled off), then that would be great. But, probably we will have to shift it into N - which can be done instantly by shifting into R. Though you have to be moving faster than 7MPH for that to do this.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Maybe if there's an easy-to-find full-glide section of the pedal travel? If not, it's a wasteful gimmick.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm accustomed to the small amount of regen the Prius has when you lift all the way off the throttle. I think I'd like some regen all the time , as I drive on roads where the space between cars varies often and without predictability USA roads). Sure , I create and try to maintain a nice area to do "some" gliding , but there are many times when I have to hit regen ( not brake pedal) to maintain that safe cushion. I have no problem finding the full-glide when driving in Normal mode. Never tried Eco mode , tried Power mode for about 6 seconds one time. If I had adjustable regen , I'd probably play with it. But I'm not getting excited about it.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

One pedal driving is the KISS solution to the use of regenerative and friction braking on a vehicle. It's how locomotives solved the design issues. Drivers of early Prii are familiar with the quirks that arose from blending both on one pedal. Leaving the brake pedal just controlling the friction brakes would have saved on development costs.

That said, I do think one pedal driving does need an easy to hit neutral, glide spot between acceleration and deceleration to be acceptable. Being more efficient or not comes down to the individual's comfort with it or traditional car controls. The more comfortable method will likely be the one easiest for them to drive efficiently with.

kbergene, SI_Prius, BillLin and 2 others like this.
  6. xcel

Hi All:

2018 Nissan LEAF

[​IMG]

The all-new 2018 Nissan LEAF will feature improved aerodynamic design that makes it even more efficient, allowing drivers to travel farther on a single charge. Aerodynamics are a key attribute as to how efficiently an electric car moves down the Interstate. Less drag and better stability enable the vehicle to drive longer distances before having to recharge.

The redesigned next-generation Nissan LEAF is lower to the ground, helping it realize zero lift for better stability at high speeds. Other new design features significantly stabilize the car when hit by strong crosswinds.

Inspired by airplane wings, Nissan engineers recreated the ideal shape for the new LEAF, enabling a symmetric air flow that helps it slice through the air for a smoother, more efficient journey.

Wayne

all_about_the_glide and BillLin like this.
  7. xcel

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

By "exciting" , they probably mean frightening. No thanks. The brake pedal is there so WE can decide when and how hard to brake.

RedylC94, xcel and BillLin like this.
  9. NeilBlanchard

The e-Pedal is optional.

The roofline does look much better than the current Leaf, and the underside shown in the profile, also has a slight rise, which looks consistent with what it should be, for lower a Cd. It would also be consistent with neutral lift.

[​IMG]

I think they have kept the quieter air flow around the side mirrors – the arched chines on the hood seem like they are doing that job.

The wheels and the wheel openings look tighter and close to flush, which will also help lower the Cd, as well. And the trailing edges are crisp (rather than curved away from the air flow, like the current Leaf) is critical for lower drag.

TheFordFamily, BillLin and xcel like this.
  10. xcel

Hi Neil:

The exterior profile looks pretty good imho. I just hope and pray they updated that interior with higher quality materials and it has a 200+ mile AER to compete.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi All:

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  12. Unleaded

Unleaded Well-Known Member

I hope that Nissan puts a thermal management system for the battery in the 2018 Leaf. It would be foolish not to.

TheFordFamily, BillLin and xcel like this.
  13. xcel

Hi All:

Soon...

The all-new Nissan LEAF will be revealed September 6, 2017, in Japan. Packed with advanced available technologies, the redesigned next-generation LEAF will amaze your senses and raise the bar for the electric vehicle market.

Being 100% electric and having zero tailpipe emissions, the new Nissan LEAF, an icon of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, offers a quiet and refreshing experience while driving. With available Nissan Intelligent Mobility technologies, you are more confident with enhanced vision and can better sense what is around the car. Additionally, premium interiors designed to suit your taste will offer buyers a touch more comfort.

Nissan established itself as a pioneer in the EV movement by launching the LEAF, the world's first mass-market electric vehicle. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the world's best-selling electric vehicle with more than 280,000 units sold.

BillLin likes this.
  14. NeilBlanchard

TheFordFamily, xcel and BillLin like this.
  15. EdwinTheMagnificent

The one nearest to me (Naperville IL ) is on a Thursday , from 1:00 to 4:00. I'd go , but not sure if I want to take the afternoon off work. I'm considering it.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  16. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I'm a country boy... I don't do Cambridge (Boston in general). :D

NeilBlanchard and xcel like this.
  17. NeilBlanchard

I'll take pictures and post my thoughts.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  18. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Thanks, Neil.

xcel likes this.
  19. xcel

Hi Neil:

Double thanks from me too!

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  20. BillLin