Hello from Scotland.

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Jocko, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

I am a new member, living just north of Edinburgh, who has just recently started to take an interest in my fuel consumption. As a retired engineer, living on a fixed pension, I thought it prudent to squeeze a few extra miles out of a gallon. Last year I replaced my 2 litre Volvo S40 automatic with a 1.2 litre, manual transmission, 2006 Honda Jazz/Fit
    I was recently given the gift of a ScanGauge E and I am delighted with the info I am gleaning.
    Today was my usual motoring day. Drove car out of garage before locking garage back up. I then drove my wife to her work, returning home after, then picked her up at the end of her shift. The miles are all in town, a couple of sets of traffic lights each trip, reasonably busy traffic. Reversed car back into garage when done with it. Other than cold or poor weather it cannot get much worse.
    Here are my figures for today's motoring.

Distance travelled: 8.0 miles
    Petrol used: 0.16 gallons (UK)
    Cost of petrol: £0.80
    Average mpg: 49.7 UK mpg
    Average speed: 17 mph
    Max speed: 32 mph
    Maximum revs: 2576 rpm
    Max coolant temp: 77°C

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Welcome! That's a nice car you have there. I have a 2009, with the 1.5L manual, because that's all they ever sold here.

Use neutral as much as you can, shut off the engine when stopped, coast up to known stops instead of speeding along and then hitting the brakes.

Watch the Scangauge, especially the AVG gauge. Your trip average mpg will go up and down as you drive, with hills and stops and starts. Try to make each cycle or fluctuation be just a little higher than the last. It will tell you what works and what doesn't.

BillLin likes this.
  3. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

Thanks. I try hard to be fuel efficient. I discovered today that one of the traffic lights I hit has had their timing changed. Definitely a switch off job from now on. I find that DFCO only comes into play as I am about to arrive home. Prior to that the system is in Open Loop.
    That is a great fuel figure you are displaying there. Hopefully mine will start to improve with the ScanGauge.

BillLin likes this.
  4. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

Just had a look at your Fuelly page. This IS impressive.

PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

It sounds like you make very short trips and you really cannot do much about that if that is what you need to do in your daily life. Still, you seem to be doing fairly well given the short trips. You are well ahead of the game by being aware and working to improve. Best of luck!

p.s. I like your car, too!

6. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

Thanks. I get a run out on a Saturday when I go over to Edinburgh to visit my wife's family. That's about 80 miles on mainly highway, so that bumps the figures up a bit.

[​IMG]

BillLin likes this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're driving on the wrong side!

Thanks. I've been playing this game for a number of years and have lots of practice.

BillLin likes this.
  8. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

A number of years ago I had a three week stay in California. Wish I had a £ for every time I got into my hire car to find the steering wheel was missing! Even worse was being driven, and feeling I was sitting in "the driving seat" with no controls!!

puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  9. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Good to have you here Jocko. Since the trips are short and the weather is cool. Maybe a engine block heater will do well for you to pre-warm the engine coolant a bit to help you get some DFCO quicker. You can set it on a timer to come on an hour or so before you need to use the car and your engine coolant will be warmer. Also using some pipe insulation or some other weather resistant stuff, you can block off some or most of your intakes to the engine at the front of the car to keep the warm air in your engine bay. You will want to make this reversible if you take long trips occasionally as you will want to remove them for those trips. Cheers.

BillLin likes this.
  10. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

I'd love an engine block heater, but I live in a fourth floor flat and my garage is remote and does not have power. The good thing is, at least I do have a garage and it keeps the worst of the cold winter weather off the car. We live right beside the sea, and temperatures here never drop too low anyway (-10°C/14°F is quite extreme for us here).

11. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Welcome Jocko. Two forums we're on together now.