Toyota’s Aussie HiLux with the TONKA Package

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 12, 2017.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The best looking F’in concept truck ever built. ;)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – July 12, 2017

2017 Toyota HiLux Tonka Concept

[​IMG]

While the release went out in late March, I only learned about it today. And all I can add is that this is the best-looking concept truck I have ever seen. Completely impractical for everything but the craziest off-road trek but damn it has curb appeal in spades.

Could it be that I am just biased from my Tonka truck days almost 50 years ago? Since 1947, TONKA trucks have been the standard go to toy in most every boys toy box. If you did not have one, you played at the neighbors who did. How many times has dad run over one of your own Tonka Trucks with the car and the damn thing still rolled afterwards. Sure it had dings, you had to bend out the box with channel locks, the yellow paint was scratched and scraped, the rust was a badge of honor, the plastic parts had broken off, and the axles were bent but it still rolled for the next sand box adventure. Maybe this one has legs too?

This is Toyota Australia’s story on the one-of-a-kind HiLux Tonka Addition.

Toyota is rekindling childhood memories with the reveal of a stunning concept vehicle that brings together the iconic Tonka and "unbreakable" HiLux brands as a full-sizes dream truck/toy for adults.

The HiLux Tonka Concept is a rock-crawling truck in every regard thanks to the Toyota Hilux brands indestructible reputation and Tonka DNAs.

The HiLux was Australia's best-selling vehicle last year, alongside significant global anniversaries for both Toyota and Tonka.

It was conceived, designed, assembled and tested by designers and engineers from Toyota Australia's 150-strong product planning and development division.

Product design chief Nicolas Hogios:
    Underneath the dramatic black-and-yellow HiLux Tonka Concept is the top-of-the-range production HiLux - the SR5 double cab with a powerful 2.8L I4 turbo-diesel.

With the lift, the HiLux Tonka Concept was provided an increase in ground clearance of 6 inches. Combined with a high-riding axle, heavy-duty suspension and 35-inch diameter tires, the HiLux Tonka Concept is equipped to power over rugged terrain that would be off-limits to other off-roaders.

A new front bar is compatible with the vehicle's safety systems while the hood has a carbon-fiber skin and features an aggressive "power bulge" and air scoops.

High-performance off-road LED lighting in the bar and roof pod combine to provide excellent on or off-road trails night vision.

A rugged bash plate made from 6mm-thick alloy is designed to protect the sump and other vital components. Tubular side rails protect the body and chassis.

Behind the cabin is a new tailgate wrapped in carbon fiber that incorporates an integrated spoiler and two air vents. A durable, lightweight strap rather than a handle releases the tailgate.

Inside the bed, a removeable tubular frame keeps all the gear in place, including diesel cans, while storage boxes house the recovery gear needed for extreme off-road driving. A fire extinguisher, axe, shovel and high-lift jack are also fitted.

Tonka is a household name, celebrating its 70th anniversary this year. Equally renowned, Toyota is in its 80th year.

Since HiLux was first launched in 1968 it has earned and reinforced its reputation for being "unbreakable" - and for being popular.

Through 2016, Australians have bought more than 900,000 HiLux’s including over 500,000 4x4s and 375,000 4x2s. Globally, HiLux sales have topped 16 million.

Last year, HiLux became the first vehicle other than a passenger car to be the best-selling vehicle in the country.

While the HiLux Tonka Concept is not destined for dealer showrooms, adults and kids alike will have the opportunity to share the dream as it tours 4WD shows, field days and expos around the country.

Here is an Aussie outlets YouTube of it in action...

Now if it had a lowered suspension, cleaner aero, and shod with some std. low RRC radials, that diesel fuel drinking SOB’in hot truck might even be something here in the states!

The overall efficiency as shown would be $**t but who would not want to drive this kick@$$ Toyota Hilux turned into Tonka truck concept? :)

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

That is a nice looking truck.

xcel likes this.
  3. Nice concept truck. But as far as best, I'm still waiting for the santa cruz with a diesel

xcel likes this.
  4. SI_Prius

SI_Prius Well-Known Member

I own previous generation Hilux, will test drive the new one 2.4 D-4D next week.

On my 2008 3.0 D-4D M/T I manage around 30 MPG on my commute to work (around 30 mph avg speed). it has low gearing for the highway, so this quickly drops to 25 MPG. With pickup cabin for camping I manage 20 MPG.

I will test Ford Ranger and Hilux, both A/T transmission, any hints on how to drive it to maximise efficiency so I can get a comparable data to mine?

xcel likes this.