My New Mazda3 :)

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by psyshack, Jul 15, 2007.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

The Civic screwed up for the last time today. All four door seals failed and something in the rear end broke. It started banging and clanking to beat the band. That was it! I tried to get a Yaris 3 door with power and air bags. I was told by two dealers. That Gulf States Yota doesn't bring them in there network. Plus they didn't want to give my near enough for the wanker Civic. And the PII's where out of the question price wise. Mitsu has the new Lancer out. and I liked it and they wanted to give me a great deal. But being a first year car. Couldn't do that. Learned my lesson with the Civic. I couldn't get into the Versa or Sentra.

So I ended up with a Mazda3 S Touring, 2.3L, 5MT. Its Purple Mica with Charcoal inside. With 17" wheels.

Driving it home from the dealer in Tulsa I got a 44 mpg segment at 40 miles. I took the wife out for a ice cream in it when I got to Okmulgee. The tank is setting at 42.8 right now. I will pump up the tires in the morning and get it out on my test loop. I see no reason why I cant get high 40's to low 50 mpg out of this car.

The Civic had to go.

psy

2. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new Mazda! We have three Mazdas in our family. I have the 2.3l engine in my Mazda 6, also with a 5 speed, and look to get a little over 40 mpg on the current tank. So you should be able to squeeze a bit more out of it in the smaller Mazda 3. Good luck and enjoy.

3. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Enjoy your new ride!

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Congrats, Psy! I know you have been pretty frustrated with your Civic for a while now.

So when do we get to see pictures? :D

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jeff:

___Holy Cow that came out of the blue. I know you were looking but not for a Mazda3? Time for some pics ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. psyshack

Well it just kinda happened. ;)

psy

7. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

Gratz psy! The Maz3 is a car that doesn't get the appreciation it deserves - people that have them like them alot though . Get some pics up please - I'm sure you'll get the 3 in the mid 40's and above quickly.

fwiw I did check out the Mits Lancer before the Focus - I didn't much care for it ( seeing your bar is set a little higher than most ,I doubt you would either )

8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Too bad about the Civic (four door seals and a broken suspension?!?) but you ought to have boatloads of fun with that 3. Congrats on a good choice!

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Not bad. My girlfriend test drove one a few months ago. Wasn't too wild about the styling from some angles (though from others it's a fine looking vehicle, especially the 5-door, which I think is a much better proportioned vehicle) - , having all that fancy stuff (like nav and power windows that break), and the 2.3l was unimpressive to say the least - the 3 must either be heavy or geared tall, because it was still slow. The chassis seems pretty nice though, and I've heard the 2.3's fuel economy is pretty good for what it is. I loved the seats as well as the trunk space. For the price, it seems like it was pretty well put together, despite the auto industry's scourge - plastic.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  10. psyshack

11. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Well-Known Member

Congratulations! That's a nice looking ride.

12. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Hey! Congrats on the purchase - you'll love the 3 like I love mine. :D

Just out of curiousity, why did you go with the 2.3L and not the more FE friendly 2.0L. Not sure if you drove a 2.0L, but there is little difference between the two.

The car looks great! Then again, I'm probably biased. ;)

13. psyshack

There is only 2 mpg diff epa wise between the two engines. I wanted the bottom end the 2.3 offers. Its a low speed low rpm grunter compared to the 2.0. Also the dealer didnt have a 2.0 with a mt. Only in AT. Plus the 2.3 will eat the 2.0 alive if one choose's to make the tach sore. Which I will do from time to time. I allowed it to eat up a altima yesterday on my 30 mile test loop. Just after I took the pic of the 3 infront of the spillway at Okmulgee lake. 1st and 2nd was enough for them. 3rd wasnt needed. :p Also the 2.3 allowed me some other features I wanted as standard.

psy

14. johnf514

Fair enough - great purchase, Psy! :D

The pictures are wonderful - I love the deep purple - if only it wasn't so hot in FL. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences! By the way, are you full-on hypermiling in a new vehicle? How do you feel about doing that to a new engine? With respect, I've held back a bit, simply because I've noticed the Mazda3 isn't terribly fond of FASing. Just my experience.

Great move on the 5MT - isn't the shifter/gearbox wonderful? :)

15. psyshack

Full on right off the lot. It does have a issue with the power steering and fas. I will be researching it more. So I fas on. :)

psy

16. johnf514

I ran into the exact same problem - so don't worry. I believe the engine/ECU/PCM is a bit sensitive to rapid ICE on/off. Also, power steering will sometimes not come back for a few moments, as it is controlled by an electric motor via the CPU and not a PS pump off the engine. Also, if you FAS on/off quickly, you may get a CEL - it should go away relatively quickly.

With respect, consider breaking it in with normal driving and RPMs (3000-3500, "moderate" acceleration) for 500 miles. Just my humble opinion - it is your car. ;)

Happy hypermiling! :D

17. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Congratulations! I don't know how you managed to find such a lemon Civic, but this sounds like a good change. I'm a big fan of the 5-door M3, and bummed to hear it doesn't come in a 2.0, so I'll be interested to see how the 2.3 does for FE in the long run.

18. psyshack

I had to go to the Mazda dealer today. Took them the title and the other keys. Got my sub power and ground cable out of it. And also took my cleanmpg.com tag frame. Its was hard. It was like having to put a dog down.

The used car manager asked me if I wanted to drive the car one last time. Told him no I was afraid the right rear would fall out of it. He said he understood and offered a drive after they fixed it. He complimented me on the over all condition of the car. The tint, engine belly pan and over all clean state the car was in. He was forthright in saying how passionate I had been about and with the car. The used car manager walked me over to the service manager and he complimented the Civic. And I was given another free oil change and detail for the 3.

The service manager then wanted me to meet the GM. So off we go to his office. He had all the service records on his desk for the Civic. He was glad to meet the man from tv that was getting 50 mpg in the Civic. I gave them all the paper work for all the warranty work done. And of course they had my personnel service records. The GM gave me another free oil change and detail. :) I asked the GM what kinda of money they thought they would make on the car. He was what I feel very honest in targeting a $750 profit on the car after the repairs where made. And they were also going to put a heap cheap set of new tires on it. The car would also have a 12 month / 12k mile in dealer warranty. He also told me if I referred somebody to the dealer for the purchase of the Civic he would pay me $100 bucks. And $50 for every Mazda referred.

So it was a good,,, good bye to the Civic.

psy

19. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

Cars are funny that way - you put your heart and soul into it and just can't quite make it be 'right' and finally giving up on it ...then you start to realize for all its faults it was family . You gave it a pretty good go psy , can't ask much more .

20. psyshack

I found out this morning on edmunds that the 06 and 07 MZ3's do have a simple iFCD. Its turned on very easy.

Audio system has to be on.
    Hold down FM/AM and CD and start the car
    The display will say DIS ON
    Turn engine off the restart.
    Basic read out will show where the clock is.
    To see the clock. Push the clock button.
    To see iFCD push set. Push set to scroll thru read outs.
    Real time mpg.
    Ave. mpg.
    Ave. mph.
    Miles to empty.
    Miles to empty doesn't want to reset by pushing the set button.
    There appears to be a 4.3 mpg diff. between its read out and the SG. The SG is set with -1% right now. So the cars iFCD is reading lower than the SG.
    Also the cars unit and the SG both go to 0 gas useage as soon as the key to turned back on in a fas. The car reads 99.9 and the SG 9999. No count up to the magic numbers.

psy