Cruise Control MPG

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Hypochondriac, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Hypochondriac

Hypochondriac Member

Do you guys use cruise control? If so what kind of MPG do you get at around 55/60 MPH? I'm using the Torque app for MPG, and for my 2000 accord it's reading around 23 mpg. Which sucks.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I use it a lot in both our 2016 Volt and 2010 Prius. The Volt on level ground at 55 mph varies from 50-52 mpg, that just on the gas engine. Now the Prius on level ground at 55 mph is 55-58 mpg. The Prius mpg's gauge is off from 2.5 to 3.5 mpg, if the gauge reads 55 mpg, the actual mpg's when calculated at the pump is anywhere from 51.5 to 52.5 mpg, this is consistent for nearly 160,000 miles so it not just a tank filling error. Most if not all Prius owners are well aware of this. The Volt is usually under reporting, the last fillup was 53 mpg when calculated it was 56 mpg, not bad for a Volt, just on gas 100%.

Remember to check your dash mpg gauge most if not all are not accurate. I rather have it under report than over report the mpg's..

BillLin, TheFordFamily and xcel like this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Hypochondriac:

You can calibrate the Torque app to actual by doing a top off to top off tank drive. Use a Garmin for miles because few take the actual miles vs. odometer/trip miles into account when the create their mpg calculation.

Top off, reset your app, reset your Garmin, and away you go. When you are through with the tank, top off again, Total miles as indicate by the Garmin/gallons filled will be your actual. Compare that to the torque app and you will at least have an offset of sorts. Trusting an app is not as accurate as one would hope.

Wayne

kbergene and BillLin like this.
  4. Hypochondriac

Hypochondriac Member

Thanks I'll try that.
    Whats wrong with using the odometer reading

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Hypochondriac:

They are very inaccurate. From plus 0.25 to minus 3 percent for the hundreds of cars we have tested.

IHTHs.

Wayne

kbergene and BillLin like this.
  6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I use my cruise quite a bit as I use my car for work. On flat, level ground my Scangauge will read about 45 MPG when set at 55 MPH. 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

After two years of ownership , I STILL don't know how to turn on the CC in my Prius. I'm proud of that. There could come a time that I might need to drive 10-14 hours a day to get somewhere , and if that happens , I know I will have to use cruise at least part of the time (level roads only). For now , ignorance is bliss.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I can't tell if you're just being facetious. :) Since I doubt your car has RCC (but even then it is similar but with an extra button on the steering wheel controls for following distance), I suspect you have the standard stalk behind the steering wheel, around the 4 o'clock position. Button on the end of the stalk for on/off. Toggling the stalk down and up works as one would expect, but since it is you, better look at the inscribed labels. ;)

Don't say I never helped you. :D

xcel likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Bill. My point is.......... I refuse to use the cruise.

10. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

You're welcome, Edwin. I had my suspicions. :)

xcel likes this.
  11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Also-our 2006 Prius "mpg reading Thing"
    is -and always has been 3 mpg HIGH
    yeah-says 48 mpg 300 miles-actual using odometer and fill ups-is 44-45 mpg

Slight aside-our Prius AC has been broken about 1 year
    consistent 2 mpg better no AC in NOLA suburb
    where AC used 9-10 months per year-
    BLACK prius-really gets hot
    the improved mpg despite open window
    but most driving-pure city- 25-40 mpg

xcel likes this.
  12. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Does the a/c not working wreck havoc on the battery? The FEH has freon lines from the a/c system running to the battery pack to cool it. If your a/c breaks in an FEH, it can be nearly undriveable in the summer heat, because if the pack can't cool, the system limits the power.

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

It looks like this thread is growing a beard! BUMP

Yes, I do sometimes use Cruise Control, when I'm on a nice flat road. On hills and curves, I can do better with P&G.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (I seem to be having a problem uploading a pic of my Scan Gauge II)
    I recently got 47mpg when under CC on a pretty flat county road at about 61 mph.

Of course I have to work at it a little bit. My car wouldn't do that when she first came off the boat.
    :cool:

puddleglum, BillLin and xcel like this.
  14. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Cruise is great for flat roads. When there's elevation involved, it's not as good, though. I don't even have cruise in my car.

I do use it almost always in the truck, though. When you're on the road 8ish hours per day, you don't want to be fiddling, plus it has terrain sensing which actually works reasonably well for FE.

puddleglum and BillLin like this.