Squeezing 70 MPG from a Chevy Cruze Diesel

Discussion in 'GM' started by ALS, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

You think Car and Driver is starting to get it? Nah, I would have at least run the tank down to almost empty before making my point. Second, knowing the mileage I could get and possibly get I would have done this run after nine PM and through the night for maximum driver comfort. Still the mileage was pretty impressive even with the short trip he made.

Al

[​IMG]

This is a simple hypermiling test. Take a 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel, turn off the A/C, keep the windows rolled up, get on a California freeway, set the cruise control at 55 mph (10 mph under the limit), and see what sort of fuel economy results. Touch the brakes and throttle as little as possible, and return with a mileage number.

In May, we published an instrumented test of a nearly identical Cruze Diesel automatic and reported on how it performed on C/D‘s usual highway fuel-economy loop—200 miles at 75 mph over the Michigan flatlands. As Joseph Capparella reported, that Cruze returned a thick 52 mpg, delivering a beat down to the Toyota Prius by a 6-mpg margin on a loop designed to be a “real world” test, not optimized for ultimate parsimoniousness. This time, we (by which I mean me) would actually try to get good mileage.

So I acquired a Cruze Diesel sedan practically identical to what Capparella had reviewed. Both had the 137-hp, aluminum turbo-diesel 1.6-liter inline-four, both wore 16-inch wheels wrapped in Goodyear tires, and both had the optional nine-speed automatic transmission.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-pr...eezing-max-mileage-from-a-chevy-cruze-diesel/

TheFordFamily, BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Al:

I guess C&D missed the Prius memo. :D

[​IMG]

Wayne

ALS, TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  3. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Wayne, help me out here. The above photo with 326.5 miles and 111.2 mpg's is that the Prius Eco or the Prius Prime with the electric miles included in the mix?

BillLin likes this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Wayne would not include the EV miles from a PHEV. He's already fanatic enough about estimating the impact of fractions of the hybrid battery consumed or regenerated.

It amuses me when people with plug-ins report their MPG without taking into account the EV contribution. If I didn't account for the charging, I would report about 85 MPG in the Prime. Even though we charge and use EV mode minimally, it easily takes the probable average down to the 60s and 70s.

TheFordFamily and xcel like this.
  5. xcel

Hi Alster:

The above result is from a std. Prius Two Eco I drove from the IL/WI border to Detroit about a month ago. The offset was a 6.5 negative offset when including both the Odometer under report and aFCD over report resulting in the above coming in at 103.9 mpgUS actual mpg over 333.1 actual miles. The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is even more efficient without the plug and vastly more with. :)

The Prototype and production drive details are here: 2016 Toyota Prius First Drive Review - First Drive Results.

Thanks as always for your input Bill.

I am not faulting the all-new Cruze TD w/ the 1.6L TD as you can almost bet it is efficient as all get out but messing with a Prius even on an all highway drive like the above is a bad move no matter who says something else can topple it.

Wayne

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  6. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining that for me. Now I like the Prius Prime looks over the regular Prius, and I don't think I'm alone here. I find it interesting that the Prius Prime when
    using just gas gets better mpg's than the Prius mpg champ, the Eco model, at least according to the EPA. I'm due for a new car pretty soon, our faithful 2010 Prius, my daily driver, is quickly approaching the 160,000 mile mark. Now if the Prius Eco had the same body style as the Prime I would be leaning towards it. Even though the Prime with the Fed Tax credit is about the same as a regular Prius, the Prime weighs quite a bit more and has room for only 4 passengers.

I'm looking at the Ioniq Hybrid but I really think that Hyundai fudged the EPA figures, just my opinion. The Ioniq is better looking than the Prius as well.
    Decisions decisions.....

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. xcel

Hi Alster:

I agree on all counts. If the Prime had five passenger seating, it would be a no-brainer. A friend of mine is an Uber driver and you cannot use a 4-passenger car for Uber so he says that is out.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

The 6 spd manual is (surprisingly) rated 5 mpg higher than the 9 spd auto on the highway. -- maybe that is the real "mpg steady state king" ?

/Chevy cruze 1.6 turbo-diesel, 9 speed auto: 31/47/37 , 6 speed manual: 30/52/37
    //cons: low on hp, small, def, diesel mx worries ,... but it MIGHT be the real world highway mpg king

-- how about a steady state shoot out between:
    1. Hyundai ioniq blue
    2. Prius prime
    3. Chevy Cruze diesel 6 spd manual

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    xcel, ALS, wxman and 1 other person like this.
  9. xcel

Hi Carcus:

GM is out so they will no longer be driven here. No fault of mine either as I have made dozens of requests. :(

Wayne

10. BillLin

There are a few in my area, and a couple are showing $3500 discount. These dealers play games to get to show as lowest price in the locally listed vehicles, so I would ignore the number below, but the $3500 discount should be fine:

New 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT
    $21,655 MSRP $29,655

vin: 1G1BH5SE4H7274935

xcel likes this.
  11. BillLin

Here's the TRUECar report for my zip code.

upload_2017-8-21_16-16-22.png

xcel likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I wonder if ANY Chevy dealer has one in inventory. Especially manual. Does Truecar even know ? Doubt it. But if such a unicorn does exist , there will be large cash on the hood.

xcel likes this.
  13. BillLin

They're out there, Edwin. 2 within about 75 miles of Chicago. And yes, there's cash on the hood. $3500 cash back plus whatever discounts...

xcel likes this.
  14. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

The nearest Chevy dealer has a 2017 Cruze diesel manual with $6000 on the hood. Advertised price is $18.5k. Tempting... if it was the hatch (which is only now starting to be available with the diesel) I would be there right now.

xcel, TheStepChild and BillLin like this.